The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for doing this, it is very unfortunate. But as it happened several times before, it's also just really stupid. I can't get angry over this to anyone but very perhaps Sony themselves - they are the ones who should have caught this rather than MM, but it is an easy mistake to make.
But is is possible to check for every possible cultural or religious problem that could arise. That seems very hard to do.

But is is possible to check for every possible cultural or religious problem that could arise. That seems very hard to do.
I don't think so. The tests would just be content. You'd just need a review panel of a few peeps from each demographic you want to represent, and maybe a few neutrals with a guide on Taboos, to look at each texture, video and read the script. There's clearly a degree of this happening at QA time to avoid material Sony already won't allow. It's probably just a matter of getting another couple of employees to sit on the review panel. The time taken to review all LBP's content would maybe tale a couple of days tops for a person. Just browse through the textures on a slide show, listening to the music tracks.

I imagine in this case the source was just plain overlooked, as it's a 2 year old song that didn't kick up a storm from a benign source. No-one thought to give it a second thought. A practicising Muslim or sufficiently educated reviewer would have caught the unexpected faux pas. And then it was blown all out of proportion with Sony overreacting. The letter wasn't asking anything like a recall and wasn't spitting blood!

Are they waiting for a patch to be certified before selling the old disc or pressing new disc and doing a recall? I'm happy to own the original with the song, I hope they don't force remove it, I'm not from the group whining...

I don't see the problem.

I am not religious in anyway, but if words from the Coran are sacred then they shouldn't have been used in the song. I don't know if it's an original piece of music for the game or what, but it's a fairly big deal to a worldwide company like Sony so I understand them delaying it.

They aren't doing it lightly, I'd imagine it's going to cost them a couple of hundred thousand to absorb the stock they've got and repress more.

I imagine in this case the source was just plain overlooked, as it's a 2 year old song that didn't kick up a storm from a benign source. No-one thought to give it a second thought. A practicising Muslim or sufficiently educated reviewer would have caught the unexpected faux pas. And then it was blown all out of proportion with Sony overreacting. The letter wasn't asking anything like a recall and wasn't spitting blood!

Sony overreaction is not that hard to understand, with repercussions on what happens when small fractions overreact on what most people think that should be okay. Ref the Manchester Cathedral in RFOM and the caricature of the prophet being printed in newspapers.
So when some Sony lawyer sees the email about using words from the Qur'an in a song is blasphemy, its easy to see how the overreaction comes about, then again is it an overreaction if you are a muslim?

Right or wrong, I think its a better to be safe than sorry scenario for Sony.

I don't see the problem.

I am not religious in anyway, but if words from the Coran are sacred then they shouldn't have been used in the song. I don't know if it's an original piece of music for the game or what, but it's a fairly big deal to a worldwide company like Sony so I understand them delaying it.

They aren't doing it lightly, I'd imagine it's going to cost them a couple of hundred thousand to absorb the stock they've got and repress more.

It's Qur'an :D

Also, the song is from a muslim artist and it is two years old and still exists on Amazon, iTunes, and other places.

I don't think so. The tests would just be content. You'd just need a review panel of a few peeps from each demographic you want to represent, and maybe a few neutrals with a guide on Taboos, to look at each texture, video and read the script. There's clearly a degree of this happening at QA time to avoid material Sony already won't allow. It's probably just a matter of getting another couple of employees to sit on the review panel. The time taken to review all LBP's content would maybe tale a couple of days tops for a person. Just browse through the textures on a slide show, listening to the music tracks.

I think in this case it was easy to miss because it was in a music track. But (this particularly also @Silent) considering the big titles something similar happened to (CoD4 and Zelda, among others if I remember the article correctly), it should at least have made a list of things to check. Once it was discovered, the course of action they took was in line with what happened for those other two titles.

So looks like 27th for US and 31st for UK/Europe? That's only a week right? Not so bad.

What else is on the soundtrack?

Do they have all those pop songs that I've seen in the Youtube videos of the game or was that some custom level someone created with their own copies of the songs?

You would think when they secured the rights to use the music on the soundtrack, they knew what they were licensing.

Release a new firmware that handles this incredible major and HUGE problem for those that care and then release the game.

What a piece of utter lameness

Can someone explain something for me because I've been trying to wrap my head around this to no avail:

If the song has lyrics that offend the muslim faithful and solid_08 is, by his own accord, saying that "mixing of music and words from our Holy Qur'an deeply offending" and asking for Sony to remove it, why is it alright for solid_08 to upload an extract so that everyone (muslims or not) can hear it? This is not a rethorical question btw.

On principle I'm against any and all forms of censorship. I'm even against Germany (and other countries) banning the swastika or any other kind of nazi symbols because that's the surest way for people to forget what they represented in the history of (hu)man-kind. Like many here I don't see the problem in Sony releasing a patch for the game and don't understand why a worldwide recall is needed.

Can someone explain something for me because I've been trying to wrap my head around this to no avail:

If the song has lyrics that offend the muslim faithful and solid_08 is, by his own accord, saying that "mixing of music and words from our Holy Qur'an deeply offending" and asking for Sony to remove it, why is it alright for solid_08 to upload an extract so that everyone (muslims or not) can hear it? This is not a rethorical question btw.

On principle I'm against any and all forms of censorship. I'm even against Germany (and other countries) banning the swastika or any other kind of nazi symbols because that's the surest way for people to forget what they represented in the history of (hu)man-kind. Like many here I don't see the problem in Sony releasing a patch for the game and don't understand why a worldwide recall is needed.

Everything about religion is like this, in Denmark we had a little thing going with some cartoons, it resulted in burned down ambasedes in some muslim countries (and a nice tax bill to those citizens when they had to pay up). The "funny" thing is that some imans from denmark travelled to Muslim countries with copies of these forbidden drawnings so they could show them to other Muslims (and cause a riot but hey).

Sony is doing what they have to do, and the Muslim cause is yet again causing self inflicted damage that doesnt help those that really need help in Palestine :(

It's called evidence, me thinks.
On principle I'm against any and all forms of censorship. I'm even against Germany (and other countries) banning the swastika or any other kind of nazi symbols because that's the surest way for people to forget what they represented in the history of (hu)man-kind.
Just to be clear, do you think there is nothing offensive enough to be censorshipworthy?
Like many here I don't see the problem in Sony releasing a patch for the game and don't understand why a worldwide recall is needed.
Obviously they are playing safe.
I kinda wish I had time to look around in my area to see if any of the shops had broken the street date. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back