The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The flip side is some extreme person might go bomb MM office.

To make up for it, they should allow us to use our own music :devilish: (or promise fans that a future patch will allow creators to embed their own songs so the extremists can bomb someone else's home/office instead).

...and tell people where to download the song.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

I had the week off as a matter of conincidence too. That's ruined my day. And to think some people will be heads up on experience because they've already got theirs. Me jealous.

Edit : I'm removing the angry smilies, because getting angry is a bad idea and totally contrary to the nature of LBP. I can imagine people are fuming and swearing at the Muslims for this, generating hatred because they can't play their happy, fun, cutesy, lovely game. That goes entirely against the nature of the game, and I'm not angry. Disappointed, yes! Sad, for sure. But I'm not angry. Just very annoyed that these things happen, because people can't get along.

Damn I hate religions. Must not type more...
The problem here is lack of tolerance, not the fault of religion per se. As the linked article says, previous games have gone ahead with other fixes. With the option of patches now, and a note to the Muslim community to say 'if you don't like this, wait until the new batch is released, or download the patch', everyone would be accomodated in the most sensible way. A recall like this is just going to generate more hostility towards different groups of people.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

I had the week off as a matter of conincidence too. That's ruined my day. And to think some people will be heads up on experience because they've already got theirs. Me jealous :devilish: :mad: :cry:

Well, you're the first guy I thought of when I heard the news -- because you live close to them. A serious enough threat might get to you based on a throw of the coin (ha ha !).

According to MM, they had a patch ready but Sony told them no. Wow, throw one of your biggest most anticipated games in with a whole slew of other games released the next month and have them compete with eachother.

An excerpt from the user that reported it. Here is the actual message: Stolen from GAF:

To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari":smileywink:, I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:

mt14.quickshareit.com/share/p...lip22503c0.wav

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards,
yasser
psn id : solid08

Last edited by a moderator:
The Media Molecule website is down. I can understand why! I think what Sony need to do, apart from changing their policy and patching+updating later prints, as Zelda was, is produce a solid reduced version for download, so everyone who was anticipating it and those who have time of work for it aren't completely screwed by this dumb policy.

Well there was talk of a demo release the week before LBP was launched, based on the Beta (which hasn't happened, I notice!). An improved version would make the most sense now, using the latest build, giving a stop-gap. Make it open, free, so everyone can try it and upload their creations, and then the download version ends when the disc is available and everyone can carry on where they left off. If Sony are adamant about a recall and refuse a patch, this is the only sane option IMO. Just leaving millions of expectant fans bitterly disappointed is not a good idea!

Wait a minute... is this a SCEE thing or a worldwide thing ?

chewit_563534635.jpg

This is going to put the game past most of my holiday. Hopefully it releases during my holiday, as at the end I have a few days off ready to spend doing nothing ...

As for doing this, it is very unfortunate. But as it happened several times before, it's also just really stupid. I can't get angry over this to anyone but very perhaps Sony themselves - they are the ones who should have caught this rather than MM, but it is an easy mistake to make.

On a more general note, I think issues like these are a matter of respect more than freedom of speech, similar to removing the Twin Towers / related scenes from video games after 9/11. There's no need to make it more political than that, but if someone does, I agree RSPC forums are a better place. ;)

Sad, but we'll get by - though deep, quick, get some copies while you still can :p. And those that have the game already, hang on to it - in ten years, it's going to be worth a lot of money. :D

It also means more time for Sony to decide to (re)launch LBP with the PS3 price-cut to 299 after all. :p

I also like the idea of an open beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back