Threw vs Through

Gerry

Regular
I notice there's a few posters who consistently (and I assume deliberately) spell "through" as "threw". Not that I'm having a go or anything, but is this down to some American spelling? Haven't seen it anywhere other than online, but then of course I guess internet forums are where I most commonly view unspellchecked text.

Just being nosy....

;)

The internet and email has created a generation of people who spell phonetically.

Threw is the past tense of throw
Through is an adverb/adjective

While those that continuously misuse and mispell words may claim "you get the idea" of what they're trying to say. I'll say I also get the idea they're either ignorant or don't care how people view them.

Preach on, Brother Russ. While nobody's perfect, a simple grasp of the written form of the English language is becomming more and more scarce.

Note I'm complaining about those who use English as a native language. Obvious exceptions apply to those who use it as a secondary language...

waht U mean :?: I can C write thru what U be saying :!: U'r just against us who can't spell. LOL. U just a BUD spreading FUD. 2B a good speller dont matter, U not live 4 ever! In the world of cyberslang the rules r KISS. :LOL:

TTFN - I need a bio-break :)

covermye said:
Note I'm complaining about those who use English as a native language. Obvious exceptions apply to those who use it as a secondary language...

My experience is that those for whom English is a second language often speak and write it significantly more betterer than those of us in the country in what it was invented, like. 'Nuff said.

Anyone have a problem with my spelling and gramma on these boards?

Russ, do you view my spelling as ignorant? :LOL:
(I know that's not what you ment but I had to jest with you)

:)

I think that everyone should talk proper English like what me does.

Seriously, though, I often have to resist the urge to correct spelling errors whilst reading message boards (it's "becoming" covermye ;) ). Of course, I can't criticise those whose native language is not English as they are doing a fine job!

Back on topic: I'll agree that "thru" is irritating - this is an Americanism, I believe, but it smacks too much of SMS text message-speak for me. Here in the UK, this is becoming a real problem as kids send so many text messages they entirely lose the ability (if they ever had it) to write in coherent sentences or spell correctly.

And don't get me started on the incorrect usage of apostrophes!

I think part of the problem lies in that English in its correct form is probably the most inconsistent language on the face of earth. For each spelling there are in general at least three ways it could possibly be pronounced, and for each pronounciation there are probably at least three ways it could possibly be spelled. Compare these words for example:

Fear
Bear
Bare

The English language pretty much ended up this way because of Brittish imperialism in the old days, spreading it around the globe, mixing it up with local languages, and mostly mixing it up with french during the endless numbers of wars between the brits and french. In the end though, if people start to write it more or less phonetically this problem might in the end more or less solve itself after a number of generations.

MuFu said:
What? No mention of "thru"? :LOL:

MuFu.

Thru I could understand. An Americanism, which I can understand since it at least it sounds the same as through. "Threw" just throws me though, since everything time I read the sentence the word just seems to grate (since it's phonetically differenct).

Other points. I'm a big Iain M Banks fan, but "Feersum Endjinn" was bloody difficult to read. Took a bit of effort to get through (ahemt) it.

Agree with Humus is a bugger of a language. Worth the effort of course!

My favorite iword is "payed", as in: Dont believe him, he is bias and prolly payed by <whoever>.

Humus said:
The English language pretty much ended up this way because of British imperialism in the old days, spreading it around the globe, mixing it up with local languages, and mostly mixing it up with french during the endless numbers of wars between the brits and french.

Actually, I remember my English teacher telling us that a large role in the messed up spelling and grammar of the language was played by the Norman invasion of the Anglo-Saxon Britain in the 11th century. So, as a true Englishman, he rolled the blame over to France. :)

Maybe the reason for us (the foreigners) making less spelling errors is that only the l33t ones are bold enough to post in a foreign language. People who don't trust their linguistical skills are less likely to voluntarily use foreign language.

(it's "becoming" covermye )

Umm... Yeah... I knew that. You passed my test! I did it on purpose, you know... :oops:

At any rate, I tend to usually forgive simple mis-spellings in forums such as this as they're (note the correct use of this contraction!) usually a product of a hurried response in between duties at work, etc... I'm sometimes a victim of those myself (as seen above).

However, the trend of grammatical deficiencies is something different altogether...

-Chris

I always find the two-sided argument funny.

The people who don't spell right say:

"why should i have to waste my time typing right"

The people who respond say:

"If it's such a waste of time typing correctly, what makes me think that what you have to say is worth reading?"

WhiningKhan said:
Humus said:
The English language pretty much ended up this way because of British imperialism in the old days, spreading it around the globe, mixing it up with local languages, and mostly mixing it up with french during the endless numbers of wars between the brits and french.

Actually, I remember my English teacher telling us that a large role in the messed up spelling and grammar of the language was played by the Norman invasion of the Anglo-Saxon Britain in the 11th century. So, as a true Englishman, he rolled the blame over to France. :)

Maybe the reason for us (the foreigners) making less spelling errors is that only the l33t ones are bold enough to post in a foreign language. People who don't trust their linguistical skills are less likely to voluntarily use foreign language.

The language has borrowed words from all over the place, due to the habit of people to keep invading.
The ancient languages that form English are
Angles (Germans around 400AD). This is the real base of English.
Danes (Danish/Viking invader owned alot of Britain at various times)
French (Normans in 1066AD)
Welsh (Welsh Gaelic/Celtic, the original language of the England/Briton)
Scotch/Irish (both are closely related)
Latin (Romans, lived here for 400 years)
Hebrew (Christians can't lend money, so we have a big Jewish community)
Greek (we just liked it I think...)

The modern era is based on 'free trade' AKA British Imperilism, here we borrowed any words that described anything we liked. From tattoo to Bungalow (Polynesian and IIRC Bangla)

A sentence like "The tattoo on his skin was of a moose in a valley", involves about 5 difference languages (tattoo - polynesian, skin - danish, moose - native american, valley - celtic, basic structure - angles).

Does anyone know where the "@" originates from? Saw a post on it ages ago at Ars Technica, it was bloody fascinating!!!

I would also just like to add in the words of the infamous Ali G, "Is it cos I is black?" :devilish:

Back