The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can add to this thread is that I feel pathetic :( !

Well, there's news that more codes will be distributed on Monday. I will be in my studio all day and miss it again.
Can someone please help me out and grab a code for me here ??? Help out a friend in need :) ! Anybody who has some free time can help, puhlease !

zed, this is not your traditional platformer. ;-)
Well it may not be, but from the videos ive seen, it looks like miss a jump/get killed then go back to the last checkpoint, and repeat again all the stuff again.
Reminds me of playing these sort of games as a kid, spending a minute making difficult jumps etc, only to stumble at the last hurdle + being forced to repeat again from the start.

Ok perhaps a braid like wind back time control will make the game too easy (at least thats what I think braid does), but it certainly IMO will make it more fun. By all means the player gets a time penalty from dying, the more u wind back time the longer it is ie it winds back in slo-mo, allowing other players to overtake them. hmmmm maybe I should make this game, a competitive platformer for ppl who dont like platformers

You can win a beta key on gamepro on monday, and there should be more giveaways. But all in all I think this way of handing out beta keys is BS. Websites start giving them away unannounced, and all have their own rules on it. After lots of googleing for new sites and trying to get in overloaded sites, I have nothing. :( They should just send them out through e-mail just like the Motorstorm 2 demo. That way everyone has an equal chance.

Well it may not be, but from the videos ive seen, it looks like miss a jump/get killed then go back to the last checkpoint, and repeat again all the stuff again.
Reminds me of playing these sort of games as a kid, spending a minute making difficult jumps etc, only to stumble at the last hurdle + being forced to repeat again from the start.
That's true, but only because the levels are built that way. This is something my designs are wanting to shy away from, having seen lots of people playing on vids who just plain aren't good at platformers! I'm looking to focus more on puzzles and (cooperative) solutions. What makes LBP so fantastic is that this is an option, that the game can be remade to the player's ideas of what's a good game or not. It doesn't have to be about tricky jumps and perfect timing.

That's true, but only because the levels are built that way. This is something my designs are wanting to shy away from, having seen lots of people playing on vids who just plain aren't good at platformers! I'm looking to focus more on puzzles and (cooperative) solutions. What makes LBP so fantastic is that this is an option, that the game can be remade to the player's ideas of what's a good game or not. It doesn't have to be about tricky jumps and perfect timing.

Sometimes it does matter though, the tricky jumps and perfect timing. But your right its more to do with the puzzles and stickers, yes stickers. haha

You're right of course. Zed, if you can get access to the MM created levels in the story mode you'll see that those instances of "get it right or die" are very, very rare. Actually, I'm struggling to think of any but am wary of speaking in absolutes.

I've seen some/plenty of user created stuff where the creator has even put "point bubbles" in a place that you cannot recover from. An unrecoverable path so to speak. How the... what... it's like they didn't give it any thought at all! My ongoing saga of a side scroller is taking a while because I'm carefully tweaking jumps and swings to get progressively harder. God, I hope I'm done before the beta is over.

Yes, I smiled when I saw the standard "No lives lost" sign dropped.

Went into the level with 2 new random friends. Was disappointed the level has nothing playable.

just a thought...can you have 'hidden' areas? The sort of thing where you could play through the level and not know it's there, but one day stumble upon.

I'm thinking of several things like walls that are solid that disappear when you get near them (or press a button somewhere).

Also I'm thinking as the levels have depth you could have a 'hidden' area 'behind' what appears a solid wall.

Another thought would be a wall that looks solid but is destroyable/moveable to access hidden goodies behind.

Any thoughts/comments?

just a thought...can you have 'hidden' areas? The sort of thing where you could play through the level and not know it's there, but one day stumble upon.

I'm thinking of several things like walls that are solid that disappear when you get near them (or press a button somewhere).

Also I'm thinking as the levels have depth you could have a 'hidden' area 'behind' what appears a solid wall.

Another thought would be a wall that looks solid but is destroyable/moveable to access hidden goodies behind.

Any thoughts/comments?

yes you can

IMG_0849.JPG

[GAF- Mine Collapse!] made by chubigans

Has anyone played it with family/Significant Others/neices and nephews/casual visitors? What are responses like, particularly with the non-gamer contingent?

My sister and gf were having a first look last night. They were enchanted by sackboy - in fact they spent most their time dressing him up. I tried to demo level creation a bit but they were too busy making sackboy smile and wave. I did plead no, it's more fun playing this way but to no avail. They had a quick go at story mode and did comment it was a charming game. Unfortunately it was only a quick demo so I didn't get to query further.

Deepbrown tried to join but I thought it best to reject him (given how slap happy some people are!). Sorry dude, it wasn't personal. :(

How does joining work then? Does the game notify you someone wants in, and you have the option to reject them? How does that interrupt what you're doing?

How does joining work then? Does the game notify you someone wants in, and you have the option to reject them? How does that interrupt what you're doing?

You get a little notification at the top of the screen. It's not intrusive at all. At least not to me. It doesn't stop the game either so you can carry on playing or accept or reject. I think the X button is really the only one of that cluster of four (triangle, square, circle) that you need in game to play and the option to accept or reject is mapped to the other buttons.

All the notifications work that way: deepbrown has scored zero points in so and so level and so on. They'll shut themselves after a while though.

There are ongoing announcements about friends playing the game?! So get a friends list of 100 peeps, and a load of them playing LBP, and the notes will never end!

I guess so... although remember this is an online beta (you can't play offline).

In the full retail game you should be able to play without an internet connection. Unless I'm missing something... :|

And perhaps in the final version there will be a way to switch notifications off. It is great though in that it'll let you see the levels your friends are checking out, the scores they're getting. I guess it's the way online communities are built.

There are ongoing announcements about friends playing the game?! So get a friends list of 100 peeps, and a load of them playing LBP, and the notes will never end!

The online party system also allows new players to join an on-going session. The existing player gets an alert that someone is joining. He can get them in right away if he moves to a spawn point. Otherwise, the new players will show up whenever the existing player die and respawn.

Well but they're fun anyway. :) But yeah, I presume you can turn them off. Just like voice chat can't be turned on right now I think, or I just didn't figure it out yet (but it is supported, I can even select the device to use from within the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back