The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
it sounds like there was a standing ovation at the end of the presentation for littlebigplanet. Im sure that doesn't happen to often. I would love to see more 2.5D games like this in the future.
It would be amazing to see a Castlevania type game developed along these lines.

2.5D is making a very welcome comeback. First the handhelds spearheaded the movement, and download titles are also benefitting. Finally we're at a point where someone will fund top-class development without demanding full 3D interactivity, because the vision is best served by 2D.

A Sonic 2.5D game would be awesome IMO, and the only real future for the franchise if it's to recall the original.

With a rich enough set of mechanical gears and cams (especially cams), I suppose scripting can be done "in-game" through clever mechanical engineering. If the machines can actuate pulleys and ropes, they can remain unobtrusively tucked away in the background or beneath the floor while still controlling foreground marionnette objects.

From the presentation, new items are collected by completing levels in game, a la LocoRoco..

This game actually had me thinking of Loco Roco ... the basic setup of Loco Roco in terms of the sheer number of stuff you can use to build levels and the way you collect them is great, and adds heaps to replay motivation. Unfortunately the level editor just fell short of being useful, even if it was only by a small margin. If they can make it better in the next version then boy are we in for a treat. Also Loco Roco in 2.5d could be a great way to increase the PS3 experience. Whenever I think of 2.5D, I always think of the great first Pandemonium game ... God I loved that.

Not to derail this thread, but if Sony could produce a LocoRoco with the LBP graphic engine, that would be heaven.

About LocoRoco, did you see the LocoRoco trophy in the Hall of Fame on Phil Harrison's presentation of Playstation Home?

Can anyone inform me, what's the state of realtime fluid rendering? Any tech demos out there??
No demos, but a while back there was a dev talking about a fluid engine 'the likes of which we've never seen before' which they intend to turn into a download minigame, created as part of a development Best Practice research group.

No demos, but a while back there was a dev talking about a fluid engine 'the likes of which we've never seen before' which they intend to turn into a download minigame, created as part of a development Best Practice research group.

It is a dev from high moon studios and it was at the Vivendi CELL session with IBM. They say it is the first time fluid is using in this way and it is impossible to do on another platform than PS3.

And, Super Rub o Dub PSN game on PS3 will be the next game with water and Duck.

Dunno how next-gen in the water department that is. We've had water simulation before. Nothing shown in the little video clips has been fantastic water simulation like water splashing and flowing in currents with eddies etc. A closed body of water with bouyant bodies on top isn't anything special as far as I'm aware. If water is to feature in LBP, it'd need to be able to be stored in reservoirs and poured out, moving smaller objects and breaking up against larger, more solid objects.

Oh, we did have that fluid dynamic at the E3 '05 EyeToy demo. That's the best fluid dynamics to date.

Dunno how next-gen in the water department that is. We've had water simulation before. Nothing shown in the little video clips has been fantastic water simulation like water splashing and flowing in currents with eddies etc. A closed body of water with bouyant bodies on top isn't anything special as far as I'm aware. If water is to feature in LBP, it'd need to be able to be stored in reservoirs and poured out, moving smaller objects and breaking up against larger, more solid objects.

Oh, we did have that fluid dynamic at the E3 '05 EyeToy demo. That's the best fluid dynamics to date.

Yes it was very impressive.

Well, the closest thing i found was that nVidia had a lecture at GDC07 on realtime volumetric clouds fluid simulation for dx10. Its not water, but its close enough...

[edit] - i just found this!

PLASMA PONG is a variation of PONG that utilizes real-time fluid dynamics to drive the game environment.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=378340
http://www.plasmapong.com/

plasma3_small.JPG

I hope there's scripting so users can create boss and enemy characters, and perhaps even narrative elements. Otherwise, it'd just be playing one obstacle course after another...
Spore-like procedural character generation may be interesting.

EA vice president Neil Young praised LittleBigPlanet and said that this game is the first game that shows it can only be done on the PS3.

I was very, very impressed with the whole sort of Game 3.0 initiative. There are a lot of Sony haters out there right now and you just should never underestimate what that company is capable of doing. They've got a great platform and they showed some pretty cool and compelling software today. I think Home can change the way you feel about the platform and the way you feel about interface as the sort of default interface for the platform, so that's interesting. I've personally been a huge fan of SingStar, predominantly because I'm British and all British people strangely love karaoke. ... And LittleBigPlanet is amazing. I mean, amazing. That might be the first application that you could only do on the PS3. It's very physics intensive... it's just wonderful. And it makes me happy about the business; it makes me happy for Sony and Phil.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/in...d=15478&page=1

Well actually for a game like Locoroco you wouldn't need fluid dynamics (I kno it wasn't you who suggested this shifty) as you'd only have to simulate soft bodies.. If the game was 2.5D then it could be done using a similar dynamics system as in the original Locoroco game..

I'm not sure how they did it in the original game but I would imagine it's similar to pressure soft body dynamics. You can see an example of how this could be done even in 3D here.:-

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=434153

I've been playing around with PSB for a while now and I must say that performance-wise it's pretty good.. Granted I still have a few more optimations to make in getting mine working better and also dealing with more complicated collisions but its getting there..

In terms of fluid dynamics, If you you want to do fluis simulation constrained to only two axis (i.e. for a 2D or 2.5D game) then I know Danny Chapman wrote a pretty good particle-based fluid simulation system which would work perfect for something like that..:-

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/water/index.html

The demoes do seem to have a few bugs though still (if you up the particle count then the energy levels increase so far that the particles begin to act incredibly irratically) but i'm sure someone like Sony could improve on such a system dramatically and it seems like the kind of process which fits the CELL quite nicely..

You're proobably right for LocoRoco fluid dynamics. 2D (or Lemmings style 2.5D) displays only need simpler mechanics. The moment you go into LBP-type graphics, the water's going to react in 3D. I suppose you'd have a 2D physics reaction system for interacting with objects and players, and a 3D system for sculpting the water as it splashes over objects. Although with 3D collisions against scenery, I think a full 3D implementation would be required.

EA vice president Neil Young praised LittleBigPlanet and said that this game is the first game that shows it can only be done on the PS3.

"And LittleBigPlanet is amazing. I mean, amazing. That might be the first application that you could only do on the PS3. It's very physics intensive... it's just wonderful. And it makes me happy about the business; it makes me happy for Sony and Phil. "

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/in...d=15478&page=1

Not sure I buy that. Oh sure its amazing alright but the physics, while superb, don't look like they would be impossible on other systems, at least not from what I have seen so far. I think there are other upcoming games on other platforms which demonstrate equally impressive physics.

In fact I have played with simple physics demo's on an athlon XP which were every bit as impressive as what im seeing in LBP. Obviously they didn't come with the same level of graphics but the raw physics were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back