Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

That's an intriguing fur shader. Looks like displaced pixels, as you'd do with a smear in a 2D app'. Works great on the edges, but the surfaces look somewhat painred rather than furry. That might be an art-direction choice, but whatever it is, I think the shader on those could do with a change.

Okay, watched the trailer. Scenes cut very quickly, so you don't get a good view. Still if all that's realtime, it's a flippin' amazing game! Even if gameplay doesn't look like that to the full extent, the ability of the engine to render this is truly superb. I'm hesistant to see more footage.

And release Fall 2007 :oops: Here's a conventional Triple-A title for those wondering where they are!

And release Fall 2007 :oops: Here's a conventional Triple-A title for those wondering where they are!

Hmm ... I know I'm going to sound like a real jackass for saying this, but I don't think this is a system seller. :oops:

Now before you all lynch me, hear me out: Demographic.

I would buy this in a heartbeat. BUT I don't think this is the type of game to sell the ps3 at it's current price.

MGS4
KZ2
etc

Blockbuster Exclusive high production movie esq experiences will sell the console at these prices or fanatical following exclusive series like FF etc.

Great looking game though and something that is sorely lacking on xb360. (and Wii for that matter)

I see your point Chef, but though I haven't played Ratchet and Clank myself, I did play Jak and Daxter and such, and they can be pretty close to I guess an animated feature we see nowadays. Jak 3 was quite good in its storytelling segments, so I'm hoping for the same kind of thing if I were to play this game.

Also, the sales for these titles in the past has been quite good, so I think its very possible that at the very least this could make some people see the PS3 as a more attractive purchase.

Thanks for the screens and links though, looks nice.

Hmm ... I know I'm going to sound like a real jackass for saying this, but I don't think this is a system seller. :oops:

I would buy this in a heartbeat. BUT I don't think this is the type of game to sell the ps3 at it's current price.

MGS4
KZ2
etc

Blockbuster Exclusive high production movie esq experiences will sell the console at these prices or fanatical following exclusive series like FF etc.

Great looking game though and something that is sorely lacking on xb360. (and Wii for that matter)

That's assuming it stil is $600 when this comes out.

If Sony is smart, they price drop before holidays, and market their 20GB model as a viable option, this will let them feast on the $399 pricepoint that MS has already established. Of course, 360 will be $299 by then, but that's beside the point.

I have to confess never having played R&C, but I don't think it's that much of a kids game is it?

Well I am going to lynch you! Why are shooters the only triple-A system sellers in the world? How the hell does Nintendo sell consoles without a big showing of these? Or is it that only shooters are system-sellers above $400? If so, where's your research which shows that? AFAIK systems selling at $500+ are pretty much an unknown, so quite how anyone can know what single title will sell that to people is beyond me.

anyhow, don't turn this into another 'here's a PS3 game. Let's stop talking about it's technical merits and instead say that it won't sell Sony any consoles' thread! I only put that comment in tongue in cheek and don't want to mess up another fine thread. There's lots of technology here to discuss.

Haven't we heard the AA and such is all there in realtime? The IQ is great.

Looks absolutely amazing! Had I not already been sold, this would be the system seller to me at least ;)
Loved the previous R&C games. I think they are like Pixar movies, or something like Futurama TV series in that respect that they can wholly be enjoyed by kids and adults as well. It's definetly not for the youngest of kids though. The gameplay is challenging enough but seldom frustrating.
R&C have simply been very very enjoyable games, I hope this will bring back more platforming elements and not go in way of straight forward shooter.
What I know, R&C games are quite "big hits" among kids the age 10-15 years, maybe thought of being too "kiddy" among those aged 16-20, and much appreciated again by those above 20. That's a general impression at least from what I've gathered...

Looks absolutely amazing! Had I not already been sold, this would be the system seller to me at least ;)
Loved the previous R&C games. I think they are like Pixar movies, or something like Futurama TV series in that respect that they can wholly be enjoyed by kids and adults as well. It's definetly not for the youngest of kids though. The gameplay is challenging enough but seldom frustrating.
R&C have simply been very very enjoyable games, I hope this will bring back more platforming elements and not go in way of straight forward shooter.
What I know, R&C games are quite "big hits" among kids the age 10-15 years, maybe thought of being too "kiddy" among those aged 16-20, and much appreciated again by those above 20. That's a general impression at least from what I've gathered...

I believe that the developers said they were heading back to R&C roots/origins, which should = more platforming, which makes me one very happy panda!

Well I am going to lynch you!

:LOL:

Shifty, I didn't want to and I still don't (and won't) turn this into a "nag" thread, but you did pull the "here's the answer" card.;)

Beyond this we can pm.

Like I said, I like how the game looks to be shaping up and I'm sad I might not ever have quality time with her. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the old platformer style as well as the more recent shooter style. Altho there were control changes, the level designs are what really made the difference. Never felt like two different games.

And for those who havn't played it... imagine the "tone" to be something like Shrek. Kid friendly, but made by adults who don't like to sit thru kid's movies.

Well I am going to lynch you! Why are shooters the only triple-A system sellers in the world? How the hell does Nintendo sell consoles without a big showing of these? Or is it that only shooters are system-sellers above $400? If so, where's your research which shows that? AFAIK systems selling at $500+ are pretty much an unknown, so quite how anyone can know what single title will sell that to people is beyond me.

Err, 3DO? Neo-Geo? :)

That aside, the game does look quite gorgeous. Still won't make me get a PS3. At least not until they halve the price.

* Natoma beats the "no console is worth more than $299" drum again

Back