Killzone PS3 shown at GDC 07?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example, the character models, polycount, shading, particle effects, textures, and other aspects of the game could end up looking so good that it makes up for the lack of 16X anti-alising.

I'm looking forward to seeing Killzone when it has matched the target render.

I agree with you, If you see something like the ffvii tech demo which was accomplished in a few months by a few guys on some of the earliest and weakest h/w and yet ran at 60fps. It seems doable by the teams of uber skilled coders, which I imagine sony has put to this task nothing but the very best of the best.

The cell and rsx combo capabilities are immense, as always people have to creatively go around the few insignificant short-comings/flaws of the ps3 design, but this is nothing like the case with the ps2 architecture... and we got some godly looking games out of that.

The h/w difference between the ps2 and the ps3 is immense, but if the software side of the equation increases exponentially more than usual(sweat and blood, sweat and blood from the coders.), despite being difficult to code do to the added parallelism, the results should be for all practical purposes nigh photoreal.

As for AA, in a good HDtv set or projector even 360 games without AA don't have any serious image quality issues, and in fact in most angles there's not even a micro aliasing artifact present. So for all practical purposes, maybe its the crt set I've that blurs whatever micro-jaggies appear, it's virtually flawless, and outside of direct feed comparison pics it's nigh perfect. So I wouldn't worry about that for killzone either.

One almost must wonder what the vertex count difference is between the tess./disp. mapped tires and the whole UT vehicle...

wait, wait... I have an odd feeling of.... dej.... no, must be my imagination.

Perhaps we would all do ourselves a favor to simply avoid this thread until 10:30 PST, so that we may post something with substance and a lower chance of.... ah, who am I kidding. //TPIGTDS

I think it would be best for this topic to leave that killzone trailer were it belongs -> 2005

Anyone tried youtube yet?

To be honest the vehicles and characters in UT 2007 already match the trailer IMO if not exceed them.

Maybe you should clarify: Are you talking about the technical quality of the assets and render quality or the artistry?

Because the former is a technical issue and your opinion is irrelevant; the later is subjective and no one can tell you your opinion is wrong (although they can state why they disagree).

The Killzone CGI vehicles, honestly, far exceed the UT2007 vehicles on a technical basis. The tires alone have more polys than the entire UT2007 vehicle. Art is purely an issue of taste and preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
1UP describes the Killzone PS3 footage

Explaining that this was a work-in-progress and it wouldn't be a part of his GDC Keynote the following morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison wanted a way to point at the power that the PlayStation 3 could unlock. At the conclusion of a presentation that unveiled 'Home' and the irrefutably smart LittleBigPlanet, Sony showed us Killzone. It wasn't called 'Killzone 2,' it was just called 'Killzone' and the video footage appeared to be artifacted somehow. It wasn't the clear, crisp HD footage Harrison's presentation had been populated with -- it was almost like an afterthought. It didn't look as good as the fake-footage we saw at E3 2005, but it didn't look bad, either. It was just a half-hearted show of particle effects, bullets ripping through warehouses, tearing apart kitchens and showcasing the rag doll physics in the Killzone engine. If the footage ever surfaces, it'll likely be treated as an 'engine' demonstration, but the first-person perspective, gunplay and action clearly show gameplay in some state.

Link

Word on Sony's Guerilla-developed Killzone for the PlayStation 3 has been scarce since it made its splashy debut in the I-can't-believe-that's-gameplay trailer from the Electronic Entertainment Expo a few years ago. Since then, the game has been mostly off the radar, save for a few mentions peppered throughout public comments from Sony reps. Though hard info on gameplay and a release date is still scarce, the game made an intriguing appearance, again in trailer form, at Sony's Game Developers Conference press event last night. Following a brief overview of the PlayStation Edge suite of developer tools Sony is set to release to devs in the hopes of helping with development of PS3 games, Phil Harrison casually mentioned he'd show a trailer of a game that had benefited from the tools. Before firing up the video from the cross media bar of a PlayStation 3, Harrison offered the disclaimer that the demo was meant to highlight technology and not the game itself.

The video offered a montage of sequences from the game that emphasized various technical aspects of it. A lone soldier running with a vast cityscape behind him segued to various combat sequences that showed situations that seemed tailor-made to highlight the tech Harrison had mentioned. An indoor combat sequence showed a soldier blowing to bits everything around him in a kitchen. Another sequence showed a soldier blasting the objects some enemies were using for cover. An outdoor combat sequence showed off standard on-foot combat as well as vehicle-based shooting, courtesy of a mean-looking tank.

Given the tech-focused nature of the trailer, there were some showy moments that revolved around blowing out individual windows in a warehouse area, as well as another sequence that showed shafts of light coming in through holes being blown in a structure. The use of light also figured prominently into a sequence, specifically the light on a soldier's rifle as it illuminated a dimly lit area. An extended sequence also focused on assorted soldiers getting plugged full of bullets in different venues, which yielded the expected twitching and flailing. The humanoid- and vehicle-focused action was livened up at the end of the video when wicked mechanical sentinel-like creatures unfurled their appendages and menaced the camera.

As with the previous Killzone trailer, the game looks like it has the potential to make quite a splash for the PlayStation 3 if it delivers on its promise. The action looks fast and detailed, and it seems to be covering all the right bases. The visuals are looking sharp, and the vast scale of the outdoor areas is impressive, while the indoor spaces we saw were good and claustrophobic. Granted, we didn't see anything quite as jaw dropping as the eerie human animation in the previous trailer, but as Harrison noted, this trailer was more of a technical showcase than a proper trailer. Look for more on Killzone at E3 later this year, where Sony and Amsterdam-based Guerilla will hopefully deliver the goods in playable form.
-GameSpot

Sounds pretty nice to me. Looking forward to E3, thats for sure!

Killzone tech demo's first screenshot

killzone-ps3-20060113102128983.jpg

It is an artwork.

Stop making this as an official game-presentation. It was just a techdemo of the new Edge-tool, thereby using Killzone assets.

Remember Motorstorm's presence last year at GDC, with the mud demo? Scenery wasn't in, lot's of stuff wasn't up to par and stripped out, but they still showed it. It got pretty lame when people where saying : what a disappointment compared to the trailer. Compare that GDC footage to the final polished MS game, and you have a huge difference. You could see in that GDC footage what kind of physics and particle effects they were implementing, from a technical point of view it was interesting. If you regarded is as an official MS-preview, it wouldn't make sense.

It's exactly the same with this year's Killzone presentation. Wait for E3, when everything is integrated into a complete demonstration of the game, in a way it really represents the game, in stead of just highlighting one certain element (in this case the destructacle environments and stuff).

I agree with you, If you see something like the ffvii tech demo which was accomplished in a few months by a few guys on some of the earliest and weakest h/w and yet ran at 60fps. It seems doable by the teams of uber skilled coders, which I imagine sony has put to this task nothing but the very best of the best.

The cell and rsx combo capabilities are immense, as always people have to creatively go around the few insignificant short-comings/flaws of the ps3 design, but this is nothing like the case with the ps2 architecture... and we got some godly looking games out of that.

The h/w difference between the ps2 and the ps3 is immense, but if the software side of the equation increases exponentially more than usual(sweat and blood, sweat and blood from the coders.), despite being difficult to code do to the added parallelism, the results should be for all practical purposes nigh photoreal.

As for AA, in a good HDtv set or projector even 360 games without AA don't have any serious image quality issues, and in fact in most angles there's not even a micro aliasing artifact present. So for all practical purposes, maybe its the crt set I've that blurs whatever micro-jaggies appear, it's virtually flawless, and outside of direct feed comparison pics it's nigh perfect. So I wouldn't worry about that for killzone either.

The thing that still make me hope for Killzone PS3 to look great and probably approaching the benchmarks set by its CG trailers is the fact that Square Enix using only 3 months to make that amazing demo of FF7 which in my opinion looks like the 90s CG. This shows that the PS3 is capable of achieving great graphic and thus it shows that it really depend on the developers to harness the capabilities of what the system can really achieved as Square have showed.

Killzone is going to have that motorstorm effect. Trust me. Anybody that thinks the e3 05 trailer was a representation of how the game will look is more then likely naive.

Killzone is going to have that motorstorm effect. Trust me. Anybody that thinks the e3 05 trailer was a representation of how the game will look is more then likely naive.

Thank God nobody thinks that so far in this thread

Joshua has already pointed out: the artistic part is a subject of individual interpretation (to a degree), so plenty of people will be able to state that it surpassed the trailer - for them. Guerilla has certainly hired some pretty talented artists, but many other studios can do that, too.
The technical side is, however, something that can be objectively judged. Many of the features in offline CGi are per definition impossible to replicate in realtime, the others we'll see about soon enough. Though I'm sure that this side will be - unfortunately - debated a lot as well, even here.
Then there's the game part too, of course.

What I don't get, though, is why people still stick to Killzone, now that it's beyond doubt that the trailer was more of a testament to the talents of the CGI studio that has created it; and there's nothing else to make this game specially interesting, apart from the hype. Me, I'll look forward to Heavenly Sword instead - it has already demonstrated a lot of substance...

Reading the press comments on the tech demo reminds me of Motorstorms GDC 2006 demo and the subsequent drooling and hyperbole from sites like IGN ("looks like the CGI" or some such nonsense). By most accounts what was shown did look good, but nowhere near the CGI, but have lacked any specific details of how it looked or comparisons to other games (like BFBC), so really all I can do right now is shrug. It has been nearly 2 years since the infamous trailer was shown and probably closer to 2.5 years since they began work so you would expect something to be shown soon.

Reading the press comments on the tech demo reminds me of Motorstorms GDC 2006 demo and the subsequent drooling and hyperbole from sites like IGN ("looks like the CGI" or some such nonsense).

Are we thinking of the same GDC reaction last year? That tech demo (the one where they had one buggy and one bike going through the mud deform) was pretty much ripped to shreds on the various websites and forums (context be damned).

For a tech demo/alpha build this actually sounds like a pretty decent impression in comparison.

we should not objectively judge the game just yet since we are only hearing subjective impressions on a tech demo that is based on the game which is no indication of the final game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back