Phil Harrison's GDC keynote - Home, LittleBigPlanet & more

Singstar indeed is very popular in EU, but is this a surprise title? I do not have intimate knowledge of this title but from what I've seen, this title seems doable on ps2.:???:

Home: Sims online. Some people may dig it but I don't see it being the killer app that gets people to drop $500-600. Perhaps I'm wrong but seems too "geek" to be mainstream. (no offense)

LBP: Great Wii title. Good concept and something I would download the trial for on arcade. Not much more though. Again, not a mainstream system seller.

Sony should be trying to capture gamers imaginations with at least one GREAT app. My Motorstorm comment is harsh, but based on the feedback from people that have played the game in detail, I think it's fitting for what the title was supposed to be vs what it ended up being. It was rushed (odd term considering it shipped in Japan last year) and was one of the few potentially flagship IP's on PS3 this year.

So you hate Singstar, LBP, Motorstorm, and HOME and you want us to believe Killzone 2 is the 'one' game that Sony needs to push their system to gamers.
icon_rofl.gif

I'm sorry buy I have to laugh at that big time. It's obvious that you don't want Sony to sell any systems and you want MS to win this generation. Stop with the obvious games.

Which is how it should be done, and can be done, and there's no logical reason why PS3 can't do the same through it's OS. Sony have had a year to see how to do it properly, and already reserved loads for the OS. Why not put it to use...?

sorry been out of town for a few days... :smile:

I agree that technically Sony should be able to do something similar with the online gaming features and tie the OS into games with a completely unified structure for Devs and users to enjoy as MS has done.

the problem is that Ms had the vision of including these features (as outlined in my original post ... and more) with the 360 and debuted it as a completely intact structure since E3 05. the software was written the dev kits were ready for devs to use and all of those online features were available since launch day and are in every 360 game since its release. Sony has not mentioned anything yet about making that a priority. They are, so far, going the route of leaving it up to the devs to decide which features it has the time/money/resources/inclination to support online ala' PS2/Xbox1.

to me, "Sony could do that too" is not a valid response to what MS has had in place for 2 years now (E3 05) as far as online GAMING features and functionality. My only point is just because they "could" does not mean that they will. I would have thought they would have mentioned it before release if it was going to be part of the infrastructure (or at least.... tied into this home announcement). As you said Shifty... "why not put it to use?"

Maybe it's harder to do it the way MS has than we are giving credit or maybe Sony just does not want to spend their resources on it and leave it up to the devs to pay for. As an end user I like the unified every game approach and will wait to see if Sony implements a similar system before I can take the online seriously as a feature helping to justify a purchase. Since (TO ME) that is the most important aspect to gaming, and most all other things are mostly equal in my mind. I realize others may not place the same value on those features. then again, if you got used to having them and then got them taken away, you may feel differently. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another turning of a thread into a marketting discussion. *sigh*

By all means say you think this stuff shown is good or not (that's not raining on anyone's parade, but offering your POV, which is welcome here), but don't, please don't, start going on and on about what systems cost and whether they're worth the money. That's for the populace at large to decided, whether they feel the features (which are now quite diverse between platforms despite hardware similarities) are worth their dollars or not. Saying 'this won't/will appeal to the population and sell lots of consoles' is beyond the capacity for anyone to predict. We can only say what bits we might think might appeal to what audiences. Don't try and second-guess how much money they're going to pay for those features. And do that in every other thread!

It's been very quiet in that respect of late, with lots of dicsussion that hasn't been turned into 'which system will sell the most? Who will pay this much money for this?' type talk. And there's also been some very quiet forum members at the same time... ;)

In addition to what Shifty put so eloquently, let me put it in clear terms:

This thread is about Sony's GDC keynote, in particular Home, LittleBigPlanet. Everything that relates to that is deemed on-topic. Price discussions are not part of this.

In addition to what Shifty put so eloquently, let me put it in clear terms:

This thread is about Sony's GDC keynote, in particular Home, LittleBigPlanet. Everything that relates to that is deemed on-topic. Price discussions are not part of this.

And with this gentle reminder, (sorry for the derail guys) I'll simply revert back to my original nonflamitory remark: these two "titles" underwhelmed me and I thought they would show something a little more impressive given the proximity of this event to the EU launch.

Anything beyond this, you guys can pm me.

{humbly exits thread}

Maybe a bit offtopic but has anything (info or media) leaked from the Naughty Dog presentation?

Like I said I don't want to rain on the parade so I'll stop posting in this thread. My viewpoint is obviously the minority so if anyone wants to discuss it further, PM me or create a new thread as I don't want to bring you guys down and I'm sincerely sorry if I did.

I agree with you, these features are very cool, but they are no substitue for a jaw droping AAA title.

These announcements really seem to have impressed the media though, which might be a little more important at this stage of the game, as Sony will get more positive coverage in the near future.

Is it ok to speculate about Afrika being an offshoot of Home? I said it last week in passing, but after reading a thread elsewhere recently, I think it's something to consider. Sony's been quite coy about Afrika and I'm getting the feeling that it's a virtual safari that's another destination from Home. Take your friends on a virtual safari. Drive aroun in your jeep in your avatar's form and just animal-watch.

It's just my opinion, but I feel that Home will be the way Sony tries to hook gamers and non-gamers into their media library, and part of bringing them together will be offering non-traditional social experiences that are destinations from Home. Meh, just a thought. Delete if this is in danger of derailing. I didn't think it warranted its own thread. PEACE.

While I don't know if I am sold on HOME yet, I will say that LittleBigPlanet was awesome.

Having said that I think people that play with LBP will realize that it is more difficult than you think to create a "proper" level (read: good/fun), but I think the ability to just BS around and slap stickers all over the place will be more than enough fun for some, is it too early to bring this out for the masses to consume, I say no, let it be refined by us hardcore, this way by the time the mass consumer buys the PS3 it will be perfectly streamlined for them to play with.

This is very good input. I think that's why Sony intends to collect the best user-contributed levels (together with official ones ?) and then distribute the entire package in Blu-ray. PC game mods are much harder to do and yet we still see contribution. LBP should be able to enjoy the same interests in user-generated content if not more.

So far I have heard only good things and a few neutral feedback about LBP. It should do very well if MM continues its current momentum. IMHO, the character designs are great too !

I understand not wanting to give away everything in this event as e3 is around the corner but one or two limited but impressive showings would have been appropriate.

Holy mother of god.....

Anyhow

After mulling it over for a few days I find myself more skeptical of the Home concept. I discussed it at leangth with a friend and we came to the conclusion that we would use it, and enjoy it, but we would remain cynical about the blatantly commercial aspects of it.

I think what makes the 3d interface more than just a buch of happy horseshit is the mixed-media aspect of the environment. Focusing /deviding your attention on the multitude of things that can be going on would be alot easier with a naturalistic 3d interface.

For example, a friend and I are at one of Ubisoft's "places" playing one of their minigames that is batter than the retail game it ties into, and I can still look around the environment and be aware of my surroundings. If a player walks in with the handle _Kage_Maru_ I can say to Dan;
"Hey, look! VF player!"
Dan: "where?"
Me: "over to the left. I'm going to go talk to him, we have to stick together, y'know."
Dan: "Well, I'm going to keep playing this shitty little game"
Me: "Yeah, I'll be right back".

(come back)

Me: "Hey dan, _Kage_ here played in Evo last year and has some of his matches on his HDD. Want to go over his place and what them?"

Then we can zap over to his apartment and he can play the tournament footage, while this guy puts on some of his music. We can watch video, and listen to music, and chat about it all.

That sort of interaction is a big deal. But it doesn't change the fact that we can't play VF5 online. =)

Lol, let me ask a few of my 20-35 yo male friends...you know, the kind of guys spending $400-500 on a video game system?

So why are so many people so happy and excited about the game on the internet and the press? Are these happy and excited people 14 years old without a PS3?

I am excited and happy about LBP and Home :) They both embody the concept of user generated experiences - I think it is one step beyond just "multiplayer", and is a positive innovation in the console space (which is historically "constrained" in its content).

I'm in my mid 30s, and LBP is a system seller for me. I love co-op games, love physics puzzles, and this game just brings back memories of Racing Destruction Set in the 8-bit era on my C64. My friends and I pulled so many all-nighters making tracks, racing against each other, or just playing together non-destructively, like in 'big air' competitions on moon-gravity levels with big ramps.

When I saw the LBP trailer, they "had me at hello". I can't describe the feeling the game trailer gave me watching it other than to say, the game made me feel like a kid again.

Is it ok to speculate about Afrika being an offshoot of Home? I said it last week in passing, but after reading a thread elsewhere recently, I think it's something to consider. Sony's been quite coy about Afrika and I'm getting the feeling that it's a virtual safari that's another destination from Home. Take your friends on a virtual safari. Drive aroun in your jeep in your avatar's form and just animal-watch.

It's just my opinion, but I feel that Home will be the way Sony tries to hook gamers and non-gamers into their media library, and part of bringing them together will be offering non-traditional social experiences that are destinations from Home. Meh, just a thought. Delete if this is in danger of derailing. I didn't think it warranted its own thread. PEACE.
Isn't "Home" a Sony Europe (same devs that make Singstar?) effort, Afrika on the other hand I think is developed in Japan.
If so, I don't think there's any relation between them.
I don't think they are using the same engine either.

Isn't "Home" a Sony Europe (same devs that make Singstar?) effort, Afrika on the other hand I think is developed in Japan.
If so, I don't think there's any relation between them.
I don't think they are using the same engine either.

:yes: If some people are already complaining about Home today, I don't think they will like roaming as Baboon or Hyena avatars in Afrika at all. While we are at it, how 'bout that "Folding@Afrika" idea ? :)

Crayon said:
That sort of interaction is a big deal. But it doesn't change the fact that we can't play VF5 online. =)

Very true ! I hope Sony advances online gaming technologies with the same energy too.

After mulling it over for a few days I find myself more skeptical of the Home concept. I discussed it at leangth with a friend and we came to the conclusion that we would use it, and enjoy it, but we would remain cynical about the blatantly commercial aspects of it.

I think what makes the 3d interface more than just a buch of happy horseshit is the mixed-media aspect of the environment. Focusing /deviding your attention on the multitude of things that can be going on would be alot easier with a naturalistic 3d interface.

For example, a friend and I are at one of Ubisoft's "places" playing one of their minigames that is batter than the retail game it ties into, and I can still look around the environment and be aware of my surroundings. If a player walks in with the handle _Kage_Maru_ I can say to Dan;
"Hey, look! VF player!"
Dan: "where?"
Me: "over to the left. I'm going to go talk to him, we have to stick together, y'know."
Dan: "Well, I'm going to keep playing this shitty little game"
Me: "Yeah, I'll be right back".

(come back)

Me: "Hey dan, _Kage_ here played in Evo last year and has some of his matches on his HDD. Want to go over his place and what them?"

Then we can zap over to his apartment and he can play the tournament footage, while this guy puts on some of his music. We can watch video, and listen to music, and chat about it all.

Sony mentioned they are deliberating whether to put the game characters in public spaces, or in publisher's own spaces.

To make the Home interface work seamless with online gaming, I think performance (especially load time) would be a key issue to address. I much prefer a virtual PSP (XMB) as the default interface for day-to-day hopping.

As for making Home more relevant and exciting... this is what they can do: Some sort of Home-O-meter.

* Come up with selected Home highlights that gets updated dynamically. This could be "Event schedule", "Latest chatting sessions", "Top 5 Homes", "Neighbourhood news/update", ... Allow the users to personalize these selections and have them appear directly in XMB itself, or a screensaver.

* Don't forget audio. e.g., You should be able to hear distant chatting/noise/events while you're in the Virtual PSP UI. So if those noise sound interesting or different, some may decide to lower down their Virtual PSP to find out what's going on in the background.

Back