Phil Harrison's GDC keynote - Home, LittleBigPlanet & more

I'll paste a quote that I saw on NeoGaf, which sums up my thinking on Home:

Ok, but how does that quote from GAF address any of the ways that I already pointed out Home was different - and far beyond what the typical MMO allows in terms of personalization and community in terms of 'sharing of ones self?'

I think you should actually watch the keynote though as well; there's no need to wonder about whether Sony will charge for clothes, whether there will be billboard advertising, etc etc... they've already said that they will. It seems fairly obvious enough as well.

Now, the question then becomes... should anyone have a problem with that? I know I don't. There will be plenty of 'free' duds to put on your avatar, and for those not interested, it's a moot point anyway. For those that *do* end up interested, well there you go... a product to suit a want.

tfk had the right answer, I was talking about Everquest 2, which is another Sony product. I suspect the same development house made Home.

I'll paste a quote that I saw on NeoGaf, which sums up my thinking on Home:

"This is basically Everquest 2 (an SOE title), modernized. For those of you who have played it, I'm sure you see the resemblances especially with the living space. I'm guessing that sure, access to "Home" is free. But I bet you'll be paying some form of currency for those nifty clothes and virtual couch you're going to have in your place. Whether it's in the form of money or game earned points, who knows. Or maybe there will just be billboards and product placement ads throughout the place. Interesting nonetheless, but for someone who plays MMOs, not blowing my mind."

Ok... get back to me when Everquest 2 has a Resistance clan room.

Exactly

Ultimately it just comes down to Sony providing something that Microsoft does not, and within the effort, doing a great job of it. Whether the service itself will have a broad effect... who knows. What were the predictions on Wii? (Granted the book on Wii isn't done being written) Some people at least seem excited though. It'll just be a ubiquitous and free option there in the background. Thus, whatever the result does end up being, it will be neutral at worst, and a great positive at best. Either way unless it truly truly bombs, it'll have been worth the R&D $$ put into it over the 10+ years of the service.

Good post!!

Ok... get back to me when Everquest 2 has a Resistance clan room.

I'm very happy for you if you want clan rooms in a 3d environment. But I don't see this as a system-seller feature. Clans themselves are niche features, so what does that make 3d clan rooms.

Maybe I'm the wrong generation for this. I grew up reading stories about Gibson's cyberspace. I just never really wanted to do my general interactions with others in such an environment. I suppose I could see the attraction if this wasn't tied to a single game console.

I guess Home portends the dawn of the "super-MMO". A persistent environment littered with advertisement and microtransaction opportunities and links to proprietary games. Most existing MMORPG players would consider this to be the total corruption of the genre. But clearly they are not the target audience.

the fact that you have expressed little interest in Wii or Home, yet the former is selling millions and the latter is premised on similar mass-viral web efforts I think at least indicates that there's something here, even if some don't 'get it,' or more importantly, want it.

In my opinion, there's a considerable difference between the two. Even though they haven't been combined in such a way yet, the features of Home have still been around for some time now, and it's more of an evolutionary step. It is important, it is good that they have an online service that's a different experience, and I'm not saying that it will bomb. But even though Sony probably had a different idea, calling it Game 3.0 - referencing to Web 2.0 - is just the perfect description.

So, the most memorable feature of this generation is more likely to be the Wiimote. Introducing a new control scheme seems to be the way to reach out to a new audience, and if the success story goes on, the next generation of consoles will have to include such a controller. I just don't see this happening to Playstation Home.

I'm very happy for you if you want clan rooms in a 3d environment. But I don't see this as a system-seller feature.

It's not about selling systems, it's about forming closer bonds with the owners of consoles already bought. It increases the 'hook' the system has in its userbase, by making the experience inherent and inseparable from the Playstation.

I guess Home portends the dawn of the "super-MMO". A persistent environment littered with advertisement and microtransaction opportunities and links to proprietary games. Most existing MMORPG players would consider this to be the total corruption of the genre. But clearly they are not the target audience.

I agree with the first two sentences, but disagree with the last two. I think this is a separate genre entirely from RPG gaming, even if it naturally takes qeue's from the MMO world, which just happens to be mainly RPG in nature. Thus, not a corruption - simply something different. Paid advertising is a natural fit in the world presented in Home, as are third-party edifices more akin to embassies.

In my opinion, there's a considerable difference between the two. Even though they haven't been combined in such a way yet, the features of Home have still been around for some time now, and it's more of an evolutionary step. It is important, it is good that they have an online service that's a different experience, and I'm not saying that it will bomb. But even though Sony probably had a different idea, calling it Game 3.0 - referencing to Web 2.0 - is just the perfect description.

So, the most memorable feature of this generation is more likely to be the Wiimote. Introducing a new control scheme seems to be the way to reach out to a new audience, and if the success story goes on, the next generation of consoles will have to include such a controller. I just don't see this happening to Playstation Home.

I don't disagree with you here Laa (ok which is to say I agree :) ), but it'll be hard to know just how much of an influence something like Home will have on things until probably three years out from now. We'll have initial reports from the Beta starting sometme soon I imagine, which may give an indication as to the staying power of this concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems like Home will be the perfect opportunity to nickle and dime people to death.

This comment doesn't even make sense; you pay for what you want in a free 'game.' How can it be 'nickle and diming' when everything having to do with the world is opt-in rather than opt-out? It's not like some game where the ability to play through level three will cost you an additional $5 or something. It's more like, if you want to buy a new song, that'll cost you money. Same with frivolous accessorizing, but that's a personal choice again. Obviously it's a microtransaction money maker, but at the same time it only appeals to the kinds of people that naturally go for it anyway.

Or do you think your self-control so weak Valioso that if you entered this cyber-world you would go bankrupt on Sony's insidious scheme of virtual wine and women? ;)

The cool thing about this, that it's free. Outside of that, for me personally, someone who doesn't even have a myspace login or any interest in MMO/Sims type games, I won't be using it. Will I check it out? Sure.

One key element will be speed. If they eventually turn this into "Marketplace" and I pretty much have to go there to get demo's, watch trailers and such, I'm hoping the speed issues are addressed.

There are many other things I want from the PS3 that would be useful with immediate effects. This is a nice side element and might be the infrastructure for something big but I prefer they address other issues such as background downloading, queueing multiple downloads, download speeds, online gameplay, etc....

LBP is definitely a shocker for me, and I feel pretty good about Home. Nothing mind-blowing, but its different and its ambitious. I'll definitely use it.

No NOT a turn based RPG's that's NOT what I'm talking about. Ever heard of fighter Ace or Air attack years ago? They were massively multiplayer flight combat based games that could support an (X) amount of players. Don't jump to conclusions thinking you know what I'm talking about before asking, ok?

Flight Sims combat is not really all that different from an RTS. The game loop is dominated by client-side simulation, it's mostly all deterministic except for user I/O, and user I/O patterns in flight sims are very different than FPSes, and there are few if any non-linear events introduced by the server. Velocity changes are gradual and predictable, you don't see enemy planes able to point in any direction and accelerate nearly instantly in a single frame, but you do get that in FPSes, where users whip the mouse around, that's why FPSes end up sending control updates anywhere from 20-100hz, and because of server generated events (e.g. admin plugins for example "Ultra-Kill!") you have a separate command channel for all these server generated events which disrupt client-side determinism.

In FPS games, you have outgoing packets practically every frame updating the server on the user's current state (new forces and constraints that modify the position/velocity of the user, events like switching stances, weapons, firing weapons, character emotes, etc) And for accuracy sake, the server has to have a very high sampling rate of client I/O. We're talking games where you snipe people at long distances, and the hit box records hits down to very small areas. The DICE engine fails miserably in this regard IMHO, the experience is pretty bad compared to a game like DoD, the sniper rifle sucks ass. Anyway, when you have 64 clients sending you constant updates, client-side simulation has its limits as it is quickly invalidated, which is why games like CS transmit entity updates at high frequency, and limit client-side sim to position interpolation and non-interactive effect physics.

Interesting but I doubt it was more efficient then the limitations the games VR1 made 8 or 9 years ago. The games I'm talking about predate both CS and starcraft by years, supported more players via the server, and ran on dial-up connections. Those games are dinosaurs by todays' visual standards but the networking software could still hold up anything out there today.

Apples to oranges. Flight Sim != FPS, the bandwidth and latency requirements are far lower. And the less dynamic the character (no fast weapon switches that are externally visible, no emotes, no character model changes initiated by user. Hell, did Fighter Ace even show Rudder/Aileron/Flap changes on the plane models?)

I could make a multiplayer flightsim run on 1200baud modems if all I ever needed to do was transmit simple force corrections at 15hz for a convincing simulation. I played Modem Wars on my Commodore 64 at 300 baud (real-time RTS with action/shooter elements) and it worked fine.

Even still just because this article says these two games have a small packet size doesn't mean they are the most optimal games out at the time.

Packet Size is proportional to latency and churn. If you use larger packets, you face more fragmentation, you lose alot more data if a packet is lost (easy with UDP), and if you opt for larger packets, you must aggregate several updates worth of info. If you're updating at 60hz, and all the user did was press the fire button, you can't increase packet size unless you wait a few frames to collect more data to send. Likewise, the server already uses compression and filtering to reduce transmitted data. if a user is standing in a particularly quiet part of a map camping, there is no choice but to send this client small packets, since nothing is going on.

It's better depending on the type of game. Or it might not matter at all depending on the size of the game. You know there's lots of games out there that used servers and when you meet up with someone it disconnects you and re-connects those users directly. Again I wasn't talking about turn based online games MMORPG, or RTS games. Stop putting words in my mouth please. I mentioned massively multiplayer. that doesn't mean it's an RPG.

Any massively multiplayer game is going to be better with a dedicated server than not, period. I don't care if it's RPG, RTS, Racing, FPS, whatever.

First, the larger the number of users, the more you need to locate the server at a network junction that has a shorter path to the most number of users. If you've got hundreds or thousands or players, not using a dedicated co-located server is going to balkanize your playability with a few lucky bastards being able to have a quality game together.

Secondly, the more players, the higher the probability of routing issues caused by fubar'ed NATs, more easily solved by DMZ servers at co-los. This is not speculation, it's fact.

Third, higher bandwidth takes pressure off peak scenarios that cannot be easily forseen as the game scales.

Fourth, the lower the network requirements, the higher the degree of simulation needed on the server, which means whoever is hosting the game must devote more CPU per client, not good for predictable and resource-constrained consoles, where now, everyone's game code must fit the requirement that they be able to run a server concurrently.

Fifth, there is less room for cheating and security exploits when the server code is centrally administered and acts as validator.

Sixth, many many users, especially in the US, has crappy upstream bandwidth. "128k DSL" is not a myth. DSLReports shows over 50% of people have less than 200kbps upstream peak.

Anyway this is way off topic, but I find it annoying to see people assuming dedicated servers mean a lag free gaming experience . As I was saying before I don't think a dedicated server is needed for anything bigger then 64 players.

No one ever claimed "lag free", the predominant claim is *better lag*. As for optimizing CS packets, good luck. The entity information distribution is already very efficient and compressed. It uses both visibility information and delta compression. Every frame, the server transmits the new state of every entity to every client. However, it only transmits entities that are visible to each client, and it only transmits what's changed since the last client update (delta compression). The information sent is mainly a few floating point numbers for yaw/pitch/velocity/position/etc, and data compression on these packets isn't going to do much.

More compression would save only a trivial amount of bandwidth. The only way to reduce bandwidth is to reduce the update rate, but CS users are used to high Hz updates, and reducing it lower will seriously detract from the gaming experience (you can try it yourself, set update rate to 5 or 10 and see if you like it better than 20 or 30)

Been busy at work and having difficulty keeping up with the long posts and many announcements, so I apologize if this has been covered. I am confused and have many questions about "Home". Read lots of comparisons to XBox Live but it seems like an app and not a service. Presumably, it, like the cross bar, talks to the back end service? Is your avatar and space available while you are not in the app? It would be kind of neat if someone walked into my "home" and it actually showed me sitting there playing what I was playing in real life. People are comparing components of the app to YouTube, Flicker, or MySpace, but how do others access your content while your PS3 is off or you are playing some other game? Is there a searchable, global catalog to find and rate content? How do they manage quality of service with network (particularly upload) bandwidth limited to residential connections for media sharing? Have they identified limits wrt the number of people which can be in a particular space, room, city? The whole concept seems novel and a neat way to encounter random people, but the interface IMHO doesn't lend itself to quickly managing, identifying, processing, and acting on information about friends or content. It's like a game about gaming. I hope there are vehicles, esp. planes, boats, etc. Maybe we'll all ride the train together. Anyway, I appreciate any responses I get. Looking forward to see how it develops. Is there an ETA on it yet?

Like Xbox LIVE ? It depends on the actual policies and services put in place. Too much speculation.

I didnt mention any other services so lets just leave that aside. In the 1up yours podcast they talked about how is already on the plans that accesories for your apartment will be able to be purchased, like $2 for a couch or whatever... so is a little more than speculation.

This comment doesn't even make sense; you pay for what you want in a free 'game.' How can it be 'nickle and diming' when everything having to do with the world is opt-in rather than opt-out? It's not like some game where the ability to play through level three will cost you an additional $5 or something. It's more like, if you want to buy a new song, that'll cost you money. Same with frivolous accessorizing, but that's a personal choice again. Obviously it's a microtransaction money maker, but at the same time it only appeals to the kinds of people that naturally go for it anyway.

Or do you think your self-control so weak Valioso that if you entered this cyber-world you would go bankrupt on Sony's insidious scheme of virtual wine and women? ;)

I dont think is a game, is more of a lounge... and yes is a personal choice, but it didnt stop the outrage for the horse armor microtransaction or the EA cheat codes did it?

And I have no self control issues when it comes to microtransactions but thank you for worrying about my wallet.

I dont think is a game, is more of a lounge... and yes is a personal choice, but it didnt stop the outrage for the horse armor microtransaction or the EA cheat codes did it?

The difference between something like the horse armor is that it was anomalous and unexpected, and went against gamers' "good faith" of what was reasonable for a fee-based extra. Paying $2 for a 80" virtual TV vs grabbing the 40" free one is the upfront expectation in the type of environment Home presents, however, and nothing that anyone should get overly worked up about. Yes it's a rip-off, but in an environment where *everything* that is a meaningless extra has only aesthetic value - vs gameplay value like the horse armor - who cares? Sony will make a lot of money off Home... no doubt that's their plan at least... but the only people 'fleeced' will be those that see fit to pay for that sort of thing in the first place.

We *all* pay for virtual entertainment by even buying video games of any sort to begin with - different strokes for different folks, and some might feel $50 better spent towards customizing a virtual apartment rather than spending $50 to play against virtual aliens on a virtual planetscape. Believe me I'm not advocating it, just wondering why some have such a hostile response to its very existence.

And I have no self control issues when it comes to microtransactions...

I didn't think you lacked self-control Valioso, just so that's clear.

I didnt mention any other services so lets just leave that aside. In the 1up yours podcast they talked about how is already on the plans that accesories for your apartment will be able to be purchased, like $2 for a couch or whatever... so is a little more than speculation.

Sure but the premium items are not compulsory right ? There is no perpetual monthly/yearly fees. You can chat for free and also use your own media. Only people who are keen to pimp their home and change the surrounding would go for it (i.e., The SecondLife crowd).

Would be interesting to see how people decorate their homes, but I don't have to pay a single cent for it. One of the exciting things about Home is its potential due to the collaborative nature.

EDIT:
Can you imagine game characters (like bots in MUD) from different games walking in Home for marketing purposes ?

Can you imagine fine-grained avatar controls (like in LittleBigPlanet) to see players' new and interesting moves/emotes ? They may be hard to do on a PC, but with SIXAXIS it might be possible.

Some more details on Home in this Interview. Also interesting tidbit on how they intend to publish LittleBigPlanet on Blu-ray with user-submitted levels :D

Congrads for Sony to have some good news.

But Meh on home. Never been into that sort of thing (wife made me a myspace page which I have never added to, tried the sims for 2 seconds before walking away, ect). So while I know this is great for some, there are others like me that are not going to pick up the pom-poms just yet on this. For me I only really caring about playing/finnishing game XYZ and we leave the social interactions to those that are more...social :)

I haven't read much of the thread (and thus not sure if it's been menitoned) but Second Life anyone?

[edit] Mentioned in the first post. I don't want to sound overly-critical, but it seems like Sony's just pulling another "let's copy something else and change it a bit". Can they not come up with anything truly original?

Back