Whatever happened to Getaway?

Isn't Cambridge more a technology research and tools sector than retail product team?
Nope..

.. I mean, we have some guys doing tools, and we have the Cambridge office of the Advanced Technology Group (there are 4 of us up here), but everyone else is on product.

Dean

Nope..

.. I mean, we have some guys doing tools, and we have the Cambridge office of the Advanced Technology Group (there are 4 of us up here), but everyone else is on product.

Dean

Is it Cambridge or Liverpool doing Wipeout HD on the PS3?

Nope..

Dean

What product?
Indifferent2.gif

My question is why does Sony London have so many projects going on and can't show a single one of them outside of Singstar which has already been released? And why is Cambridge so low profile after their last big game which was Ghost Hunter? I know games take time to make but it's been awhile since the folks at Soho and Cambridge have anything exciting to show...
sad1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Why WHYYYYY!

Especially Eight Days!

I hope there is a possibility that they will continue work on them later!

There'll be plenty of big titles that are low risk. A new Halo, GTA, Call of Duty game will sell pretty well for the foreseeable future, and I could continue that list for a while. Also, because they're not first party stuff, the risk belongs to the publishers and not to the hardware manufacturers who start from a loss because of selling the consoles.

SCEE (London) has probably reallocated a lot of resources to KZ2, it's easier then to try and hire 30-50 professional developers. I've been told that a lot of guys were moved to Heavenly Sword back then as well to make their deadline.

Makes sense, they could also be doing work on GoWIII and of course Home. Lots of priority projects at the moment so its not like guys are going to get layed off.

I don't know about The Getaway, but 8 Days may be seen, yet. According to this article, 8 Days just changed names. This could, also, be a way of getting around any funding issues.

Seems unlikely. An article from 4 months hints at the name being changed, then an article from yesterday explicitly states the game has been cancelled. Sounds like wishful thinking to believe that somehow "Eight Days" (or whatever the project was now called) isn't dead.

Seems unlikely. An article from 4 months hints at the name being changed, then an article from yesterday explicitly states the game has been cancelled. Sounds like wishful thinking to believe that somehow "Eight Days" (or whatever the project was now called) isn't dead.
Let's put it this way. How many games are canceled when it's that close to being released? It was said to be released in October (and the first trailer was in 2005), but was going to be re-scheduled for Spring 2009.

I think it's wishful thinking to believe the game was canceled especially in light of the article in Feb. announcing the game's name was changing.

In the end, only time will tell.

Let's put it this way. How many games are canceled when it's that close to being released? It was said to be released in October (and the first trailer was in 2005), but was going to be re-scheduled for Spring 2009.

I think it's wishful thinking to believe the game was canceled especially in light of the article in Feb. announcing the game's name was changing.

In the end, only time will tell.

Plenty of games are cancelled late in the day. Why waste another 9 months of expensive resources on a project that you think isn't going bear fruit? They (Sony Europe management) probably just decided the game wasn't going in the direction they wanted and bit the bullet to concentrate resources elsewhere.

"It has been agreed that production of both Eight Days and The Getaway will cease immediately due to the redistribution of resources and budget."

So what exactly was Sony Europe cancelling when they said that the Eight Days project was cancelled? You'd think that if the game was still being worked on under a different guise they'd have mentioned that. :-?

The total costs for a game aren't just the development budget - there's advertisment, logistics, shelf space, and of course final Q&A. These usually add up to about as much as the development costs.

So, it can make sense to cancel a completed game as well, if it's sales predictions are that grim. Yes it might have cost 10 million dollars, but is it better to lose this money, or invest another 10 million and lose 15 million in the end because of absymal sales?

Which is why it has happened many times before... AFAIK the Babylon 5 game was one that ended up like this, despite online petition campaigns and all.

Back