Why is John Carmack so revered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'revered'? Did you leave the 'n' and the capitalization of 'R' out? Nothing Freudian going on in this thread!
ROTFL! Hehe, didn't realize that!

He ain't revered Rev, he's a bloody game coding monkey. :rolleyes:
Yup. :yep2:
What is your problem Dig? You're entitled to your opinion and description of John but what point do your comments serve? What does the "GIVE IT UP ALREADY!" neg-rep comment mean? How "useful" (to borrow a word you used in the past) are your comments in this thread? I'd be tempted to throw your "give it up" comment back in your face when it comes to your behaviour in commenting on my posts but I'm not that rude.

As for the point of this thread as asked by Ike Turner above, I'm talking about the various stuff done by John including MegaTexture (jury's still out, tho'), Z-fail stencil (wait, that belongs to Creative's :) ), BSP, etc. Yes, he may not have created some of them but he sure as hell made a lot of folks take notice of them. [edit]Great example : Rys' investigative persistance.

I'm hoping that someone here would discuss all those mentioned technologies when it came to the topic. And if one or all of them (plus many others I didn't mention) made many of his peers and members of the public, that are respectful towards the amount of work and dedication John puts into game coding, respect John beyond him being a mere "game coding monkey" (as derogatory a term as I can imagine targetted towards game programmers whose years of efforts result in games you finish in hours).

If the staff here views John in the same light as DW, then I suggest this thread be deleted. If my above para means this is a worthy thread in this forum, I respectfully request that DW's comments/post be deleted and he be warned of his future conduct (since his past few replies to my posts are extremely grating and not only totally off-topic but has negative motives that have nothing to do with the discussion of 3D technologies but are personally-driven expressions of his attitude towards me, all of which should not appear as posts here).

Last edited:
Go read his code. Then go read the code of just about everyone else in the industry.

And there's his genius. It's compact as hell, does complicated things in what seems like a trivial manner, and a first-time C programmer could read and understand every single line.

I'm sure some other people must be able to do this, but I've never seen it.

Don't know if "revered" is qui4te the right word. It's not like people (meaning gamers) in general worship him or anything. Or I don't think they do.

I think he's become famous and liked (better than "revered" heh) because id was early on synonymous with bleeding edge shooter games (and famous and disliked for the very same reasons by people who don't like id games). He was also fairly accessible to internet media for being a games programmer.

Most developers never talk to the public through interviews. JC also had his finger log thing before blogging was a word.

There also weren't that many shooter franchises back then - especially not good ones. Basically there was Doom system shock dark forces and a few other big gun titles. id's games always stood out compared to the competition and JC was the person in id that stood out. Which heloped to make him more "famous" I think.

So there we have it. :cool:

Of course later there were lots of other good shootinbg games and today id is a small player on the whole. It's been 3 years soon since they last released a game (that they made themselves from the ground up) and that one wasn't as successful as perhaps many expected.

If you ask any random PC gamr today who JC is I don't think most of them would know. His fame is with an older generation of gamers when gaming as a whole was smaller. Both with number of players and with actual available titles..

Peace.

It's been 3 years soon since they last released a game (that they made themselves from the ground up) and that one wasn't as successful as perhaps many expected.

From what I know, Doom3 sold great. It topped the sales charts for months in many countries.

What is your problem Dig? You're entitled to your opinion and description of John but what point do your comments serve? What does the "GIVE IT UP ALREADY!" neg-rep comment mean?
It means we've had enough "Rev worshipping/name dropping the Carmack" threads here already, IMHO. :rolleyes:

So if this thread was started by someone else it's fine then?

And FYI, I have already stated I certainly don't "worship" John (some call him "God", hence the use of the word "revere" here).

It makes no difference if I started a thread that mentions John Carmack that may be worth discussing here. If you have problems with me on personal issues, I suggest you abuse me privately instead of spoiling threads here.

Perhaps this thread would have worked better in general discussion. Unless John Carmack himself is the embodiment of a mathematical algorithm or sneezes out ZRAM, the discussion is still focused more on him personally than it is with technology or a given product/design.

Yeah, thread hasn't worked out the way I wished (I was hoping for folks to mention all the things they felt was cool that were done by John and thereafter discussions of those things). Perhaps the 3D Graphics Companies, Industry & Misc...

So if this thread was started by someone else it's fine then?

And FYI, I have already stated I certainly don't "worship" John (some call him "God", hence the use of the word "revere" here).

It makes no difference if I started a thread that mentions John Carmack that may be worth discussing here. If you have problems with me on personal issues, I suggest you abuse me privately instead of spoiling threads here.
Your suggestion is duly noted and will be given all the due consideration it deserves. :yep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back