Realtime Global Illumination (Demo)

Dee.cz

Newcomer
Hello,

realtime raytracing / global illumination was recently discussed here
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36792 (CUDA)
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36977 (what to do w/ 1TFLOP)

I promised to contribute soon and here it is, Lightsprint Demo
download: http://dee.cz/lightsprint/LightsprintDemo1.1.exe
web: http://lightsprint.com

It is realtime global illumination in unmodified game levels, without precalculations, user controls characters, light and it's even possible to load custom scenes (Quake 3 .bsp or .3ds).

Work is split between GPU and CPU, GPU does primary rays (rasterization), CPU adds indirect rays and filters results. Results are cached between frames, so when light stops moving, load decreases.

The demo supports GeForce 6xxx/7xxx/8xxx and Radeon 9500-9800/Xxxx/X1xxx with updated drivers.
EDIT: Windows XP are supported, Vista not yet.

Screenshots from the demo:

LightsprintRealtimeRadiosity02.jpg

LightsprintRealtimeRadiosity13.jpg

LightsprintRealtimeRadiosity20.jpg

Stepan

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried it on my Vista machine:

System Specs
AMD Athlon 64 5000+ Dual Core X2
2 GB Corsair DDR2 XMS8500 memory
2 74GB WD Raptor SATA HDDs
7900GT running 100.65 Vista drivers
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition motherboard

The error I get is

Loading 3ds\koupelna\koupelna4.3ds...
worldLightPos is not a valid uniform variable name...

Thanks for the post, this looks cool. Anyone get the demo running yet?

Did you do this demo by yourself? Pretty good

I was just coding; all scenes, models, music and several libraries were made by friends or other nice people...e.g. scenes by members of Quake 3 community (readme contains full credits).

Thanks for reporting Vista problem...I'll try to install Vista and find out what's wrong in next few weeks.
EDIT: Message indicates that driver successfully compiles GLSL program, but later doesn't find uniform variable used by program. I have no clue why it happens.

ill wait for someone else to try it first, not too keen on running exe files from people i dont know
No worries. It's perfectly safe.

I played with the demo yesterday. The previous version had two levels that I'd had liked to see in this one too.

Thumbs up for this demo. Good stuff and runs smooth too :yes:

• Opteron 165 @ 2700MHz;
  • x1900XT @ 628/1600MHz, Cat v7.2;
  • Windows XP + SP2;
With this rig, I get 35 fps at the initial scene (full-screen), only playing with the light source position. No erroneous behavior here.
Nice looking GI demo, though. ;)

I'm impressed. I wish blender was so quick with my GI renders. :smile:

Be great to see this in games. Some of the lighting there was the best I've seen on my PC in realtime ( depending on where you put the light). That white room with the yellow balls on podiums is particularly effective when you turn the spot round to a nearer wall. I'm not quite sure what the darker tunnel-like scene has to offer yet though, must play with it some more.

It doesn't look like it is advertised on my x1900gt, e.g. the soft shadows are all blurred the same amount however close to the object or away from light source, not like in the screenshot example. What is it that I'm doing wrong? :=)

don't kill me... just stating a personal opinion!

i just tried it. it looks ok... (thanks for providing the demo BTW! :) )

the intensity of the shades are somewhat lacking (IMO).

I guess it's more to the fact that this is done in realtime and not precalculated :)

i was running it on high 20s framerate wise...

Won't start

Loading 3ds\koupelna\koupelna4.3ds...
worldLightPos is not a valid uniform variable name...

Windows XP, 7900GS with latest beta drivers. How and when are you loading the uniforms?

I've got a more fundamental problem trying to run this, "OpenGL 2.0 capable graphics card is required" :cry: on an X800XT All in Wonder with Catalyst 7.2.

Jawed

It doesn't look like it is advertised on my x1900gt, e.g. the soft shadows are all blurred the same amount however close to the object or away from light source, not like in the screenshot example. What is it that I'm doing wrong? :=)

Screenshots were captured in realtime, without any pre/postprocessing, I have no time for photoshopping it :)
Is it possible that with your light, shadow caster and shadow receiver positions, penumbra _should_ look how it looks? Try e.g. moving light closer to shadow caster, it should make penumbra wider.

the intensity of the shades are somewhat lacking (IMO).

I calculate intensities for monitors with sRGB space, so if settings of your monitor differ significantly from sRGB, it could look less realistically. Or it could be anything else, I would have to see some screenshot.

Back