Finally: Sony and Immersion end litigation, enter into business agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just the controller that'd need replacing, not the whole console because of added rumble.
I don't think potential buyers would delay purchasing the PS3 just because of a rumour that a new more featured controller is on the road, that they can buy cheaply anyway later.
Do you think it has affected Wii sales that there was a rumour of a rechargeable wiimote some time ago, I don't think so.
Rumour of a rumble featured SIXAXIS won't affect the PS3 sales negatievly.

it delaying me at least :LOL:

could anyone tell me why SCEI didn't do this in first place??? it would make everyone's life a lot easier from my point of view if they sort it out before launch of the console.

You should always defend the rights of what you rediscover on your own, by your researchers hard working blood and sweat. Of course if the nasty lawyers and foreigners patents side with said foreigners you can at least get it as cheap as you are willing to pay(threats of going to the competition and further publically damaging the corporation as villains denying the ideal aren't out of the question behind closed doors). All's fair in love and war, and that's more so when it comes to corporations.

I don't understand why some people here care so much about rumble..???

I'm sure most of you are probably PC gamers and I've never seen a mouse or keyboard shake when I've played a game..!?! :???:

If people truely beleive rumble is such a big deal then they should just buy a fantastically-sized sub-woofer, crank up the volume to full and sit on the thing when they play..

:rolleyes:

???? I am using an iFeel mouse. Call of Duty just fucking rocks using it.

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead. Figured it would be better than starting a new one.

Anyway, not sure if many remember this, but Microsoft originally settled with Immersion on the patent infringement of the rumble technology in its Xbox controllers. This was before Sony and the amount was 26million. When Sony settled they end up paying 90million. But the kicker here is that Microsoft had a clause in their agreement that if Immersion had a settlement with Sony, then Microsoft's could get a portion of their settlement back. So in a sense, it was treated like a loan so that Immersion could go after Sony. Immersion then tried to get out of paying Microsoft back by saying that it's agreement with Sony wasn't a settlement. Microsoft didn't buy it and then commenced to sue Immersion to pay them back. Yesterday it was announced that Microsoft and Immersion ended their litigation with Immersion agreeing to pay Microsoft 20.75million. So in effect, Microsoft obtained a license to the rumble technology for over 5million. One other stipulation was that Immersion also got to join Microsoft's Certified Partner program. This deal will lead to new touchscreen feedback technology being part of Windows 7. Man, that's a crazy deal. Microsoft got off cheap and Sony got screwed! :oops:

Here's a few stories...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsoft-recoups-20m-on-sony-rumble-payments
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/147162.asp
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/147166.asp?from=blog_last3

Tommy McClain

Well when the original suit with ms started they were really small potatos . Sony did have over a 100m consoles out there with the tech in it. Then most likely another 20-40m more controller sold . That easily dwarfs the 20-40m that ms might have sold in the same time period.

I don't think Immersion is unhappy with how it went down and neither is ms . Sony must be pissed though

Agree 100%

If Company “M” forces company “I” into an unfair business practice (blackmail pretty much) towards company “S” …then yes, company “S” should sue the hell out of company “M”.

blackmail?
sony owed them the money for selling products with their tech in it

This story has come to an end. We don't need the same old armchair juries to pass judgements when the lawyers have already done their work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back