New Heavenly Sword Info (screens included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here's another review - I've never heard of them, but why should I have? Their experience may not be as wide as IGN - but here it is anyway. http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-62621.aspx

It's apparently the biggest gaming website in Finland - and it's always nice to hear from somewhere outside the US and UK. 10/10

Not really a fan of perfect scores as there's no room to grow - but it obv struck them as a great experience - something to behold at least. I have a feeling they were in awe and dug the gameplay mechanics. - just wish I could read it!

I think they say that the presentation is striking and incredible, with the animation and graphics being excellent, and although it finishes a bit too soon it is "Maybe the most beautiful, fascinating and appealing fighting game ever." (online translators suck at Finnish!).

The average is about 87% I think now. Pretty good.

Ok a bit more of this review:

"Action packed games have never gone so close to movie.

Luckily under it reveals diamond hard battle engine."

"Heavenly sword is on every aspect almost 10/10 game. Its steel hard and flexible game engine only loses to the outlaw good looking graphics and animation. Only the sucky "throw a weapon and make it hit multiple targets in this order" puzzles spoil the games rhythm. You cant let go to the game before its finished. The game ends far too early, cause theres only 5 hours to play on it. Still its the most breathtaking package that ive ever seen in a gaming world this day."

Thanks Kaze88

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always suspicious of scores at either extreme,so I throw out the top and bottom and go with what's in the middle as a gauge.

Great to hear that.

It looks like IGN is probably the only ones that low scored the title. We will have to wait and see for a complete press average.

So far it gets good reviews from everyone else :)

I think we took one review too seriously and forgot all the others. This could still be an AAA title and a must have as long as the other following reviews continue to indicate as such

I'm always suspicious of scores at either extreme,so I throw out the top and bottom and go with what's in the middle as a gauge.

Doesn't that mean every game gets a score somewhere in the middle lol? Or perhaps you mean we just take an average...and so I agree. So far we're at an 8.7/10 - that is from all the reviews found on the net, and not the ones on something like metacritic - yet that is.

Here they are in all their glory:

Play Magazine 10/10
Tilt 10/10
PSXtreme Magazine 9/10
NextGen Irland 9.7/10
Polish Mag 9/10
Doupe.cz: 9/10
Gamepro 4.5/5
The Officiel Playstation Magazine 89%
PSW 8/10
IGN /UKUS 7/10
Edge 6/10

Even though the criticisms in IGN aren't found in some of these better reviews, it doesn't mean they are "bad reviewers" - I expect they just felt they didn't hold so much weight in the grand scheme of things...but the criticisms may of course be very valid.

Anything more than 7/10, I think is really overrated.
HS has pretty good graphics and artwork but that's it. (just another Genji)
However, it did show that heavy HDR + lots of polys is quite doable with PS3.

Doesn't that mean every game gets a score somewhere in the middle lol? Or perhaps you mean we just take an average...and so I agree. So far we're at an 8.7/10 - that is from all the reviews found on the net, and not the ones on something like metacritic - yet that is.

Play Magazine 10/10
Tilt 10/10
PSXtreme Magazine 9/10
NextGen Irland 9.7/10
Polish Mag 9/10
Gamepro 4.5/5
PSW 8/10
IGN /UKUS 7/10
Edge 6/10

Even though the criticisms in IGN aren't found in some of these better reviews, it doesn't mean they are "bad reviewers" - I expect they just felt they didn't hold so much weight in the grand scheme of things...but the criticisms may of course be very valid.

Here's the problem, the reviewers I know and trust are at the bottom of the spectrum, whereas the unknown and laughable *cough* PLAY *cough* are at the top. The truth is, 6 hours is not enough for $60, especially if the game play leaves even a tiny bit to be desired.

How can you compare Genji with Heavenly Sword is beyond me.

the main knock against Genji was the camera angles. and i don't know how you can compare two games considering one isn't even out yet.

i've played both demos and the combat/gameplay in HS is FAR greater than Genji's. the story and cutscenes will probably be far better than HS too.

Play Magazine 10/10
Tilt 10/10
PSXtreme Magazine 9/10
NextGen Irland 9.7/10
Polish Mag 9/10
Gamepro 4.5/5
PSW 8/10
IGN /UKUS 7/10
Edge 6/10

PSXextreme and "polish mag" are the same...are you going to be doing this PR march on a daily basis? I wouldnt trust over half of those reviews for either having bad reputation, no reputation, or a huge danger of bias (PS-anything magazine, lets face it you dont go to those types of companies to get a level headed view of a game). And any literally perfect scores are stupid reviewers in my opinion since its obviously a flawed rating system. Again you need to relax you look so desperate its actually a little sad. Just let things go at their own pace. ;)

For months or years, we wondered if HS would be promoted heavily as a key title.

Certainly seemed to have a decent budget and long development, kind of indicating Sony was behind it.

You can write off reviews but as a new IP, you wonder how ultimately reviews will affect sales and strategically, how much first and second party development Sony can support if games like HS and Lair doesn't do well.

Gears of War was a new IP and the reviews certainly helped its sales. Similarly, it looks like Bioshock will do well in sales due in part to great reviews.

So while an individual gamer can say he will see for himself rather than rely on reviews, you have to wonder if these reviews on the first key first/second party reviews will have negative consequences down the line.

Especially in the context of how poorer 3rd party games have fared on the PS3, both critically and in sales. This context placed more expectation or reliance on these platform-exclusive games being received well critically and sales-wise.

For months or years, we wondered if HS would be promoted heavily as a key title.

Given the release library for this year, as far as mature titles go, is that really a question that needs to be asked? Even months ago? I'd say Sony needs every title to do fantastic so they can sell more systems and give those that do own the systems something to play if not at least expanding their choices. Given the budget and hype around this game, i'd say they'd push it as a premium title, no question.

doesnt get much more bias than you.

I think it's better to say that it "doesn't get much more bias than your post"

Best to say, "Doesn't get much more biased than [insert name here]." No sense in leaving your ad hom open to retort, am i rite? :p

Now, to be somewhat on topic, I'll admit that HS wasn't really on my radar, but I saw a cutscene recently and I was hugely impressed by the detail, movement, and voice talent. Really, enough so to warrant this comment. Maybe I haven't followed new games closely enough and everything's up to this level, but the production values were great.

PSXextreme and "polish mag" are the same...are you going to be doing this PR march on a daily basis? I wouldnt trust over half of those reviews for either having bad reputation, no reputation, or a huge danger of bias (PS-anything magazine, lets face it you dont go to those types of companies to get a level headed view of a game). And any literally perfect scores are stupid reviewers in my opinion since its obviously a flawed rating system. Again you need to relax you look so desperate its actually a little sad. Just let things go at their own pace. ;)

Look you obviously didn't read my previous post. I already mentioned I didn't know how reliable any of these sources are. These are simple copy and pasted from the Ninja Forums - some of which I think you'd be interested it. They belong here - and I hear that PSXextreme is a very well respected source. Anyway I never said I agreed with any of the sources, as I obv haven't played it yet - but all I said was I was providing them ALL and giving an average - what most gamers look at the gage a titles value.

I have already made my beef known on perfect scores and feel similarly, but ruling them out completely is a bit stupid.

In no way am I desperate - I give no mind to any console "war" - I just wanted to give what the fans of the game have passed onto me - and the developers deserve to see all reviews, and not just the bad ones. As I said - it's also nice to hear from outside of the US and UK

It's not such much about determining an exact score,but about getting a feeling for how most reviewers feel about the game. I just ignore the "OMG it's the best game evar and will redefine my life" and the " this game is trash and has no redeeming qualities" types of reviews . I only listen to those extreme sentiments when EVERYONE is at one end or the other which happens once in awhile with a game.

It's not such much about determining an exact score,but about getting a feeling for how most reviewers feel about the game. I just ignore the "OMG it's the best game evar and will redefine my life" and the " this game is trash and has no redeeming qualities" types of reviews . I only listen to those extreme sentiments when EVERYONE is at one end or the other which happens once in awhile with a game.

I see. Cut out all the emotions and listen to a level head. Makes sense.

Amazing visual feast !

EDIT:

This line caught my attention:
"Overall, HS is a decent game. It is kind of odd how close it is to become a fantastic game if only a few things were to be tweaked"

Tweak it ! :)

I can see how the timed events can be frustrating though. I hate it if I get the nth one wrong and have to repeat the entire sequence. It would not be a problem if the sequence is short or better yet, optional. In my view, this could be a bigger problem than the "repetitive" arena fight scenes. I like the combat system, so throwing more at me is not a problem at all if the difficulty ramps up.

I may ban the next member to use "you" or "your" in this thread. :mad: Quit talking trash about each other and stay on topic.

I may ban the next member to use "you" or "your" in this thread. :mad: Quit talking trash about each other and stay on topic.

??

Does this have anything to do with Ihamotic's post and mine? Because both of our posts were deleted but we didnt talk trash to each other.

Just asking in case of a misunderstanding

Thanks Geo. My favorite thread on the internet was slowly slipping to the dark side of the console battle. As for the IGN/US review: 9.0 Presentation - 9.0 Graphics - 9.0 Sound - 5.0 for lasting appeal and 7.0 for combat system. IMO, I can forget about his 7.0 on the combat because the demo already showed me that it is actually a very complex and engaging combat system that I would personally give a 9.0. As for lasting appeal..well, I think that is more of an "in the eye of the beholder" type of thing with any game. Does a game have to have some kind of online competition in order to maintain lasting appeal these days? Does a game have to be 20 hours long to be lasting? I've played a 5 minute demo of HS more than 30 times....that seems to have lasting appeal to me. Oh well, to each his own. Maybe having to play this game through 2 or 3 times...in order to achieve "lasting appeal" won't be such a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back