New Heavenly Sword Info (screens included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one to wonder whether this comment from part II was laden with innuendo?

"it's amazing how she has such control over those large metal balls, almost as if she is teasing them into the target - explosive stuff I am sure you will agree"

Who cares? The game itself and what is shown is the real deal

Maybe, the beginning of the first video with the cloud and the battle is cg? same thing with the scene with King Bohan and the bird because it looks incredible.

If DeanoC or nAo can answer.

Great work and good art and design

Someone posting as DeanoC at psi-next says that technically that opening video with the army is not real-time...but not because of the army, but because at the very end they used CG for the "zoom into nariko's eye" bit. That same army you'll see in realtime and you'll play in that scene in realtime, but very strictly speaking that specific video can't be considered fully realtime because of the CG eye at the end...but not because of the army :)

If that guy is the real DeanoC, of course ;) It'd be nice if Deano could let us know.

DeanoC said:
We have 3 types of cut-scenes in the game

1) Offline rendered FMV. Something in these scenes would cost too much (i.e. take too much development time) to develop on PS3 for a one shot effort. Think some fancy effects, eyeball reflections etc.

2) Rendered in-game real-time but captured and played back as an FMV.
We do this sometimes, for the simply reason it helps hide load times. So while we show you a cutscene, we can be loading the level your about to play in the background, instead of actually increasing the load time while we brought in the cutscene data (which itself can be huge, due to resolution of the animation and texture data for the close ups) also means of course there more memory for the actual game bits.

3) Rendered in-game.
As the only reason we do two is for memory/loading reasons, at other times we have the resources available so we just render them real-time.

BTW the choice between type 2 and 3 is a nice advantage of Bluray. Its a non obvious optimisation a big ol' disk lets you make. Were really tight on disk space at the moment mind, so in a few places we had to go with type 3 cos we didnt' have any more disk space for more HD movies.

Originally Posted by DeanoC @ PSINext: said:
No were single layer, we came close to being the first dual layer game but for manufacturing and cost reasons we went with single layer.
Since 50GB BD-disc are becoming very common nowadays i wonder how much of a cost increase it would render to use it. Someone at Sony said that there will be a game using a DL BD this year, wonder which one if not HS. LAIR?

Yeah BD-50 is becoming more common in Blu-Ray movie releases.

I suppose a game could use BD-50 by filling it with supplemental video.

Buy why incur the incremental manufacturing costs unless you can get more sales?

Maybe if a game used that additional space for more levels or content, the game will be reviewed for delivering more value and longer gameplay and that would help sales.

But publishers also have the option of delivering additional levels by downloads and charging more money for them. That will probably be the more likely route.

Someone posting as DeanoC at psi-next says that technically that opening video with the army is not real-time...but not because of the army, but because at the very end they used CG for the "zoom into nariko's eye" bit. That same army you'll see in realtime and you'll play in that scene in realtime, but very strictly speaking that specific video can't be considered fully realtime because of the CG eye at the end...but not because of the army :)

If that guy is the real DeanoC, of course ;) It'd be nice if Deano could let us know.

Yep thats me. Immediately after that, you fight in that scene. But that level of zoom in'ed close up to her eye is just best done with FMV. We could do it it we wanted to spend enough, but its just easier to do in an art-package.

Looks great, but one thing really annoys me: the blue glow around enemies is way to overdone - really doesnt fit in realistic look of the game.

But other than that it firmly exceeded my expectations and beats down every other Game I seen.
Sometimes gameplay needs to override aesthetics, we've found that subtle or no attack telegraphing makes it really hard, especially with lots of enemies around.

So the quite obvious blue or orange colouring is there to make it more fun.

The game really looks nice. Amazing scale in some shots!

The only thing that bugs me is the lack of shadows in some shots and some very flickering ones in others, but i assume that's being taken care of?

EDIT: The lack of seems to be that they actually already are in the shade... doh! =)

Last edited by a moderator:
The game really looks nice. Amazing scale in some shots!

The only thing that bugs me is the lack of shadows in some shots and some very flickering ones in others, but i assume that's being taken care of?
Yep some of the shadows in the show were totally cocked, surprised it was shown. Nothing like that exists today (tho I'll do a run through to double check, theres no technical reason for anything that bad).

I read many times about ability to grab anything from the environment and use it as a weapon. Why haven't we seen it yet? I want to fight enemies with a melon.:LOL:
Otherwise, the Gamer TV preview looks so cool (I downloaded this 300MB video from GAF). :)

The game looks really great overall, especially the crowded scenes, environments and emotionally intense cutscenes. I especially like army battles but man facial expressions are so real, tell a lot by themselves.

Now that it is out of the way, I am not really comfortable with the flickery shadows which are more apparent during the cutscenes than actual gameplay. I can understand we have to live with them and low resolution shadowmaps but come on now, they are especially distracting in otherwise most impressive and emotional scenes. Sometimes even environment suffers (destructible?), and Nariko's hair not casting any shadows looks somewhat weird.

In terms of gameplay, I think "after touch" may be hard to sell, which is really a minor thing.
But I have a feeling people trying the game first time do not grasp the combat mechanics so they don't really seem enthusiastic about the gameplay overall.
I hope this won't be an issue with the much anticipated demo.

Sometimes gameplay needs to override aesthetics, we've found that subtle or no attack telegraphing makes it really hard, especially with lots of enemies around.
I appreciate that, but I think you'd win a lot more fans if it could be optionally disabled, especially for a hard mode. Use the colours as a gameplay hint, let the player's train on the easy level, and then play through again using just their skills and the animation engine. It seems a shame if conceptually, the game is 'when you see blue, push Button X, and when you see orange, push button O.' It ought to be 'look at the enemy's stance and motion, decide what sort of attack they're using, and select your response'. Otherwise the graphics and animation are kinda window dressing to a simplistic rock-paper-scissors game, no?

One question I have, that may not be answerable yet (PR) - will there be Home support in HS? It was asked about in a previous interview, and it was said that they'd like to do it, but they'd have to leave confirmation for the future.

I know the game is coming out before Home is fully released, but Lair is coming out even sooner and apparently will have quite good Home support. Would also be nice for those in the (by then) open beta.

Yep some of the shadows in the show were totally cocked, surprised it was shown. Nothing like that exists today (tho I'll do a run through to double check, theres no technical reason for anything that bad).

Just to be clear, the Gamer's Day trailer also had a lot of flickery shadows, are they gone as well?

Just to be clear, the Gamer's Day trailer also had a lot of flickery shadows, are they gone as well?
Are there no flickering shadows at all? Nope, of course there are in places.

Anything as bad as some in that TV show? (huge texels popping in and out), nope.

Gamers Day, not sure... I'd have to take a look at the start of walkways to say whether it was better at the mo. Theres optimisations and fixes going in, all the time...

I appreciate that, but I think you'd win a lot more fans if it could be optionally disabled, especially for a hard mode.....

Man, you just reminded me of Expert mode in LOOM where you have to hear and recognize the notes of the spells instead of using visual aid (colours lighting up on the distaff). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back