US set to abstain from UN vote

MrsSkywalker said:
I was saying that [Noatma] wastes a lot of time criticizing others and getting way to defensive over every retarded statement, while at the same time ignoring the valid ones.

To be clear, he criticizes individuals with insults, and doesn't critique certain arguments with counter arguments. Whether he is just ignoring the points because he doesn't have an answer to it, or whether he does have an answer that he just isn't willing to share, it's irrelevant.

It's bad form.

To get back on topic, I'll say it again. In 1948 the UN passed into international law a civil rights bill which states that "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights." Why is a new vote even necessary? Unless your view is that homosexuals are not human beings, then I really don't see the point. It's useless, it's purely political, and it's a waste of everyone's time. It's just another way for the other countries to stick their noses up in the air and pretend that they are perfect. I am glad we are abstaining.

Pretty much agree.

Because I think such things are shallow, as is Natoma's need for his relationship to be legalized for a full sense of "affirmation of love."

Joe I think that Natoma is mis-stating his reasoning. I believe that he wishes for the societal recognition that all hetero marriages have at this point. There are certain legal advantages to being married as well (such as getting health insurance for the partner), as well as disadvantages (taxes), and Natoma asks for that same right that you and your wife have to be legally joined. Not having that legal recognition doesn't sway his love and commitment to his partner, but he wants the right to be married as you are.

If his reasoning is so shallow, then why are you married to your wife? If the legal union is trivial, then your love and commitment should be enough for you to live with each other, love each other, and raise children together. Why bother getting married?

Think about it this way. If your legal marriage to your wife was suddenly illegal because society suddenly viewed hetero marriages as something perverted and unclean (take note that this is a hypothetical situation here) , would you not be at least somewhat upset? It would not change your feelings for each other or the commitment you have to each other, but would it not bother you that society denies you the legal right to join your lives together? I think that this is what Natoma is getting at, not that the legal union defines his commitment and love for his partner.

I stated that over and over again deep_sky. You basically said the same thing I did. He just refuses to see that and keeps harping on his completely incorrect train of thought. [EDIT]I can understand why you'd think I'd be mis-stating my pov if you were just reading what Joe was writing and hadn't seen the posts I had made earlier on the subject. I'd be confused if I mainly read Joe's reasoning for what I'm saying as well.[/EDIT]

You should know that pascal said the same exact thing as well, and he ignored pascal as well, along with my response to pascal saying "yep, you hit the nail on the head." Wouldn't be surprised if he ignored you too, or came up with some inane thought process that completely ignores your post.

Then maybe a page later from now, he'll come up with the same paragraph from above saying "Oh well this is what he's saying. It's hypocritical."

It happens all the time. So much that at this point I laugh at it because it's pretty pathetic. Welcome to the boards. Can't be a true member here until you've experienced his illogic. ;)

Natoma said:
I never said my relationship with my bf isn't real or doesn't feel real because we can't get married. Read what I've written before. I said that we want, as well as a lot of other gay couples, to participate fully in the social ceremonies that help define who we are as a culture. If I felt that my relationship with my bf was a sham unless I got married to him, that'd be pretty sad. It's a good thing I don't feel that way isn't it.

Natoma said:
What we do want is the ability to affirm our love for one another just as heterosexuals are allowed to. We're basically a married couple anyways, but the government looks at us and says "no you're not. you're not as good as straight couples." That is what they government tells us by not allowing us to get married, and recognizing that on a federal level.

The fact that the government has the audacity to say that my relationship with my partner is not as good as heterosexual relationships, simply because we're gay, is what upsets me and a hell of a lot of other gay men and women in this country.

We are not saying that our relationships have no meaning without marriage. We're saying that the government denying us the right to marriage is wrong. We should have the same right to participate in the ceremonies defined in this society for relationships as heterosexuals do.

That most certainly does not mean that because we are currently denied that right that our relationships currently have no meaning or love in them.

I liken it to a time decades ago (and I posted about this earlier, yet it was ignored yet again) when interracial marriages were banned. Interracial coupling still occured despite the ban placed by the government. But that didn't stop them from trying to have their relationships legally recognized by the government. To lift the injustice and the disrespect.

That's a point I've stated over and over deep_sky, yet some people choose to ignore it completely. Just as they seem to ignore the post I made in response to mrs skywalker right after with regard to the UN measure saying all human beings are born free and equal. It's a useless endeavor with certain people.

And just so we make sure that that post I made with regard to the UN is seen,

Natoma said:
MrsSkywalker said:
You're basically saying that I shouldn't bring up a topic that hits me and people I love directly here, because it's just a waste of time. I'm sorry, but that's pretty ridiculous.

Not at all. I was saying that you waste a lot of time criticizing others and getting way to defensive over every retarded statement, while at the same time ignoring the valid ones. You haven't addressed my original post in this thread at all. You ignore the stuff for which you have no counterpoint, and rave about trivial differences. That IMO is a waste of time for someone who is as passionate about changing the status quo as you seem to be.

As far as my free time goes...this isn't about me. I haven't filled six pages of a thread complaining about something that I could work towards fixing.

To get back on topic, I'll say it again. In 1948 the UN passed into international law a civil rights bill which states that "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights." Why is a new vote even necessary? Unless your view is that homosexuals are not human beings, then I really don't see the point. It's useless, it's purely political, and it's a waste of everyone's time. It's just another way for the other countries to stick their noses up in the air and pretend that they are perfect. I am glad we are abstaining.

Just because I didn't respond to your post doesn't mean that I didn't have a valid counter argument. Sometimes you just skip over posts for whatever reason. If you feel slighted or ignored or whatever, sorry.

Example:

"All Men Are Created Equal" -- Declaration of Independence (1776)

Yet we had to have the 13th amendment outlawing slavery and then the Civil Rights Voting Act of 1965 so that American Blacks could take part equally in affecting the political institutions of this nation.

Keep in mind that there were specific laws created as well that stated that a black man was 1/4 white, in order to try and circumvent the Declaration of Independence, and voting rights given to white, land owning males.

And even after the emancipation proclamation, blacks *still* had to deal with 70 years under Jim Crow, which completely flew in the face of the ideals of the Declaration of Independence.

Here's a link to the Jim Crow Laws btw, if you want to know what they were in detail:

http://www.nps.gov/malu/documents/jim_crow_laws.htm

And we don't even need to get into women do we?

Sometimes laws are made even more specific for symbolic reasons, moreso than the legalities that surround them. Witness hate crime legislation as an example of a law that specifically defines what a hate crime is, yet when you look at it, murder is murder (an example of a hate crime, naturally). Or what about crimes of passion? If someone kills their husband cause he sleeps with someone else, shouldn't that person be prosecuted simply as a murderer? It's the symbolism. That's why these laws are created sometimes.

As for filling six pages complaining about something that I could be working toward fixing, I consider that a pretty retarded statement considering you don't know what I do in my life and have done. But I choose to address it nonetheless don't I.

[EDIT]Ugh edits. Back to basketball.[/EDIT]

deep_sky said:
Joe I think that Natoma is mis-stating his reasoning.

Anything's possible. And that's exactly why I am probing him further. I have asked him repeatedly to clarify his contradictory statements. Rather than admit the contradiction or a mis-statement, and offer a clarification, he chooses to post endless rants and insults.

You are now the second person to say something along the lines of "I think what he meant was" or "I think he mis-stated what he meant..."

In other words, you are trying to rectify his contradictory statements for him. That's fine, it's just unfortunate that Natoma feels he's above everyone else to the point where he won't do it himself. No one can REALLY clarify what he meant except him.

I believe that he wishes for the societal recognition that all hetero marriages have at this point.

Possibly, as this is what Pascal was interpreting. Though this hinges on "societal recognition" being only that which the federal givernment recognizes.

There are certain legal advantages to being married as well (such as getting health insurance for the partner), as well as disadvantages (taxes), and Natoma asks for that same right that you and your wife have to be legally joined.

I understand that completely, and don't have any problem with that, as I've stated several times. Thos "legal" advantages (while a valid concern), don't say anything about his proposed "affirmation of love" though. It's a separate issue entirely.

Not having that legal recognition doesn't sway his love and commitment to his partner, but he wants the right to be married as you are.

I never said not having legal recognition would sway his love and commitment. What NATOMA said is that not having the legal recognition somehow lessens the "affirmation of love" that heteros have.

If his reasoning is so shallow, then why are you married to your wife? If the legal union is trivial, then your love and commitment should be enough for you to live with each other, love each other, and raise children together. Why bother getting married?

1) We had a public wedding ceremony, exchange vows, etc., because we love each other, want to devote our lives exclusively to each other, and we want those who are important to us to know it.

2) We are legally married to each other because of the legal advantages and legal structure we have in this country, which treats married couples differently than single individuals.

Those are two entirely separate issues..

I don't consider wanting to be legally married because of the legal issues / legal society a shallow reason. It's indeed a practical reason.

I DO consider wanting to be legally married for any emotional reason to be a shallow reason.

As I stated in the beginning. Natoma can do "number 1" above with no interference or hindrance from the government.

Think about it this way. If your legal marriage to your wife was suddenly illegal because society suddenly viewed hetero marriages as something perverted and unclean (take note that this is a hypothetical situation here) , would you not be at least somewhat upset?

I would be upset to the point where we would lose any legal benefits to being married. Full stop.

I would not care in the least what the gov't thought of our "perverted" relationship, in terms of my emotional well being. We know we love each other, and those we care about know it.

I think that this is what Natoma is getting at, not that the legal union defines his commitment and love for his partner.

Again, I never argued that not being legal would change his personal commitment..

I only repeated what he said. That is, not being legally recognized somehow does not hold the same "affirmation of love" that heteros enjoy.

As long as Natoma continues to refuse to explain himself further, it's almost pointless for all of us to keep "guessing" what he really meant. :(

So what do you want him to do, CC my post and put his name on it before you will accept that he mis-stated his opinion? He has already said that he agrees with what I and pascal have been saying, yet I see no acknowledgement of that from you.

Deep_Sky,

He has already said that he agrees with what I and pascal have been saying,

And yet, what you and pascal have been saying (with Natoma nodding his head) doesn't completely reconcile with what Natoma had said earlier. See my previous responses to your and Pascal's posts. Do you have any responses to my points raised in direct response to your last post?

yet I see no acknowledgement of that from you.

"I acknowledge that Natoma agrees with what you and Pascal said." OK?

Now, you have acknowledged that Natoma had "mis-stated his reasoning," and yet I see no acknowledgement from Natoma on that. Only personal insults. So unless he acknowledes that (and specifically addresses the issue that I raised), I cannot be 100% clear on what his position is.

What do I want from him? I want clarity. Not re-affirmations of positions that as far as I'm concerned are still contradictory to he previous statements. Most civilized posters are happy to correct their positions if they are first stated in a way that's contradictory or otherwise unclear. Instead, he threw insults. So aside from clarity, I think an apology would be in order, don't you?

In sum:

It is perfectly clear that---

** Natoma desires "societal recognition just like for heteros" of his marriage. And by "societal recognition", he means it must include "legal recognition by the federal government."

It is also clear, and we ALL agree that

** Legal marriage has pratcial consequences (like health care, etc.) that make it desirable and is a worthy reason to persue legalization.

It is still NOT clear on what type of emotional or "social" consequence he feels is addressed by gaining the ability to have a piece of paper that says he's legallay married.

Again, what started all of this:

Natoma said: (Note, no guessing or assuming going on here):
What we do want is the ability to affirm our love for one another just as heterosexuals are allowed to. We're basically a married couple anyways, but the government looks at us and says "no you're not. you're not as good as straight couples." That is what they government tells us by not allowing us to get married, and recognizing that on a federal level.

You can not interpret that in any other way than this: If the government doesn't legally recognize us as married, then we have not affirmed our love for one another the same way heterosexuals have.

Then I pressed him to clarify. I said I thought it was shallow to need the gov't stamp of approval to have a full affirmation of love "like heteros", because I'm a hetero, and the gov't stamp of approval doesn't factor in to my own sense of "affirmation of love" at all. All he said, and continues to repeat in his last post, was stuff about social ceremonies:

Natoma said:
I never said my relationship with my bf isn't real or doesn't feel real because we can't get married. Read what I've written before. I said that we want, as well as a lot of other gay couples, to participate fully in the social ceremonies that help define who we are as a culture. If I felt that my relationship with my bf was a sham unless I got married to him, that'd be pretty sad. It's a good thing I don't feel that way isn't it.

Again, what legal issue is there concerning a gay's ability to participate "fully in a social ceremony" publically affirming his love? All there would be is a legal difference. Not a social / ceremonial one.

On a very related note, and to help explain my own position:

http://www.perkel.com/politics/issues/samesex.htm

I don't agree with a lot of what this guy says on many other topics, but for the most part, I'm in agreement on the topic at hand. A few choice quotes:

But all that has changed. By allowing for no fault divorce the State has changed the definition of a marriage as far as the government and society is concerned. The provision of a lifelong commitment is no longer something that is part of the law. For all practical purposes, the "traditional marriage" is a concept that is already dead as far as the government is concerned. The United States no longer recognizes the concept of marriage as a life commitment in law. Therefore, I contend that there is no difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals in that no one can really get married in the traditional sense anymore. What we think of as marriage no longer has an official place in society as far as support in the law. What we think of as marriage is gone. What we are fighting over is what's left of it.

Which is one main reason why I agreed with DC earlier in this thread that "marriage" should be gotten rid of altogther in terms of a legal standing. And also why I couldn't give two shits, in terms of emotional /social well being, about whther "the government" recognizes my marriage as legal or not.

Emotionally/socially...it doesn't mean anything.

Interestingly, he presents a "legal alternative" to "marriage":

In this modern world I think that the definition of marriage has changed and that the old definition, as modified by no fault divorce laws, should be replaced by a new system where the rights of marriages and domestic partners are contracted for individually and specifically as part of the legal joining process. There would be the requirement for the terms of terminating the relationship as well as to who would get what in death or divorce. That way the couple doesn't fall victim to a legal system that allows the courts to give everything you own to lawyers should the relationship fail. Thus, in order to get state recognition of the relationship, the relationship should be defined and that the same set of rights to contract as domestic partners should be available to everyone.

Sounds good to me on the surface.

Then I should clarify my prior statement. Laws *can* affect a society for the better. They can also be detrimental. One instance of laws affecting society for the better, even against the judgement of the society at large, are the laws that gave women the right to vote. Much of the public was against it at the time. The same goes for the emancipation proclamation. Sure there were millions in the south who did not like their slaves being set free, and I'm sure there were some in the north who didn't like the idea of freed black people running wild, it was still a very progressive law that enabled our society to move one step beyond our barbaric past.

I don't think you are looking at this issue of the woman vote rightly. First off half of the population is women, where did they all go when it came to the issue. Are you suggesting that all men and a large portion of women were opposed to the idea? To look at the implement of the law and then suggest that "most were against it at the time" is simply silly. There was indeed considerable support for the law to be implemented.

We are not taking about the disenfranchisement of women but rather the behavior of homosexuals whom believe they ought to have the same outcome as heterosexuals. It isn't a matter of skin color or gender but rather of behavior. Now obviously both blacks and women can attribute their dilemma to genetic predispositions but on the matter of homosexuality you are saying that genes that have not been discovered yet cause you to act in a certain manner.... Your genetic predisposition somehow causes you to behave unusually so and the government ought to create special laws for the protection of or even the promotion of homosexuality. Even without objective proof of homosexuality is genetic..... But there is all sorts of evidence that suggest possibly it is learned or can be. I don't think the government should make a ruling on the issue until the gene is discovered until then people ought to be able to make their own moral judgements on homosexual behavior.

1) The reason why I "keep referring to" 100 years in the past is because that is a time that is relatively close to today, and it is easy to illustrate the black and white barbarism that the human race possessed then. There were no shades of gray.

Back then blacks were abused day in and day out, just for being black. In fact the law sanctioned it. Today blacks are pulled over more often than whites in what is called racial profiling. One is definitively evil while another is closer to a shade of gray, thus harder to debate because you can find so many "well this and that and what about something other" situations that don't exist for the abuses under Jim Crow.

The "shades of grey" on the issue of homosexuality come from the fact that we don't know if it is a genetic affliction or not. While the matter of skin color is clearly more a matter of genetics where this behavior has yet to be linked to genes. Your argument gives allot of credibility to the study of genetics if true. Also if true is disqualifies a mass of fairly well accepted left wing Sociological theory particularly socialization theories.

The matter of racial profiling in terms of the law are difficult. Clearly there is a case for the argument of using the method of racial profiling to help with law enforcement. Case in point is terrorism. Clearly it helps investigators spot potential trouble but surely they do put allot of innocents through grief.

2) Historically the argument can be made that the Irish were treated like shit for a *very* long time in this country. You are correct. However, the Irish were not abused daily on the same level as blacks were. The Irish were generally hated early on, like every other group that came to this country, because they were *immigrants* and no other reason. As they were "absorbed" by this society, the animosity against them began to decrease.

Witness the animosity that many people have toward mexican immigrants today as an example. There has always been a sense of "You're not welcome here!" toward immigrants, simply because they are outsiders trying to fit in.

However, I was born in this country, as were most of the other gay men and women in this country. We're citizens already. We've grown up in this culture. We *are* this culture. And yet we're ostracized because of the circumstances of our birth, our being. You can't compare us to the immigrant situation. But you can certainly compare us to other groups who grow up in this country and were historically treated as second class citizens, i.e. blacks and women.

You simply write off the animosity held towards them by suggesting they were "absorbed" but there was not one bit of government enforcement of this. There was already a steadfast growth in the anti racist movement well before the government made any sorts of implements towards racists. The civil war was to end slavery. Further the stigma of being Irish would have followed these people around to say that they lost all racial strife upon exiting the immigration situation is silly. I certainly wouldn't compare blacks and womens cause of the past to the homosexual dilemma based on the argument that being "gay" is genetic and therefore our behavior is a result of genes. If that is the case then we can attribute allot more human behavior on genes then the left would like to admit.

3) I don't look down on women who stay home and are caretakers of their family. Frankly I'm pleased when anyone can be involved in the vocation of their choice. I know I am involved in my job of choice, and certainly, work doesn't feel like work when you love your job. I would wish that on anyone. It's a fantastic feeling to have.

However, the sheer fact that a woman has the *choice* to work at home, or outside the home today, is what is key to me. For centuries, women were not allowed anything *but* tending to the home and the children. That is the key difference between the situation that women find themselves in today. Frankly I get upset with some feminists, and especially men (some husbands), who look down on homemakers, or say that homemaking isn't a real job, because certainly it is.

Thats good because allot of women choose to do just that .... if it can be afforded. In terms of vocations it becomes a bit more complex for women then men. Simply put when a women becomes a mother there is a strong tendency for them to be a mother rather then say a CEO. But there are even more complex problems for women in the labour market, military, police roles, firemen- fireperson ;), construction and so on that their gender does not accommodate them generally as well. So what happens, it seems, is that women enter the work place and choose to go into higher paying areas of occupation rather then the slovenly work of labour and the like. Although many are taking low paying service industry jobs like for example food servers, cashiers etc.(but men don't or can't compete for these positions usually in the past held by women anyhow.)

Further, I do think that you are making working in a place of your choosing seem a bit more rewarding then it really is. Most jobs in the real world are not that rewarding at all and when you get your pay check it is gone shortly afterwards. I personally have never liked any job to the point where I found it that rewarding. I have always found that after I get what I think I want in the work place there is always something else that becomes a matter. Mostly time/money/stress from work are the largest issues. There is always pressure to perform better/faster/cheaper. This isn't to say that I don't think working hard has its rewards but keeping the bills paid and scraping by the skin of your teeth are hardly things to glorify. In other words I don't think that women were really missing out on much by not being a part of the labour market in the past. Also the injection of such a large force of labour has reduced the value of males labours. Now it seems that rather then have one parent work and the other stay at home being primary care giver to their children we must have both out of the home just in most cases to make ends meet. My home situation is case in point.

I find it ironic the way now women have the choice to go to work ... it seems we have no choice at all financially speaking but to both work. I would also mention that I do think being a mother of children and looking after the home is a fair bit of work, but to appeal to the state for some sort of monies to compensate them for looking after what is theirs is not realistic. I don't know if that is what you were suggesting but not too long ago there was a movement to do just that. Still feminist rave on about this, personally I think the idea is preposterous and reeks of welfare state mentality.

Now, I agree that children are better off when they have two parents as opposed to one. Hell, children are better off when they are raised by their entire family. I was raised by my mother and a man who was as close to my father as anyone could get even though he wasn't my biological father, my grandparents, my uncles and aunts, my cousins, my pastor, etc etc etc. I had an *enormous* support system growing up. Biology has nothing to do with the efficacy of raising children. There are foster parents out there who simply destroy their biological counterparts in terms of raising children. If someone is loving and capable, it shouldn't matter if they are the child's biological parents or not.

Yeah well we do agree on the two parent matter. The one of each gender is an even better solution. On the biological aspect I believe it would simply be the optimal situation where the people whom were responsible for bringing the children into the world were also responsible for their own childrens well being. In terms of the parenting situation I certainly would have to say unambiguously that indeed one parent of each gender ought to be present. Also there are so many heterosexual couples out there that are already on a waiting list looking to adopt..

Now I will grant you that in the past, human societies were very patriarchal. In almost every society we know of, women were subjugated and kept indoors to basically be baby factories and raise children. Now, some societies respected the female more than others, but in almost every society, women were kept as the "lesser" gender.

Universally humans are patriarchal and I don't disagree with your above statement at all. 100% agreement.

However, this can be attributed more to the hunter/gatherer aspect of our species that was pretty prevalant up until the advent of the industrial revolution. Before the industrial revolution, only the strongest could go out and hunt for food, wage war, kill animals for clothing, etc etc etc. And who, biologically, tended to be the strongest? Males. So I agree with you that the structure of our societies indeed grew *moreso*, not entirely, because of the demands of nature, rather than nurture. However, because of the fact that our society today is no longer hunter/gatherer, it negates the biological advantage in terms of strength, that men have over women, on average. A woman is just as capable of going off into battle today. A woman is just as capable of working a fork lift. A woman is just as capable of sitting in a board meeting and leading.

Um, I think that for thousands of years before the industrial revolution humans were living in an agrarian society which means that agriculture was the primary source of subsistence. This puts hunting and gathering societies well in the past before the advent of agrarian societies we would have hunters and gatherers. But that is besides the point, I understand.

You are generalizing when you say that women are just as capable as men in the workforce. As I already mentioned it is not always more prudent to have women employed in certain areas. The simple fact of the matter is that men in general are considerably more strong then females from the get go. This is not a socialized difference and while I do realize that in many occupations such as nursing, doctors, teaching even managerial positions suit women they are not as physically able to do allot of work. Some attitudes such as women ought to only be homemakers are absolutely outlandish but if you are objectively looking at the physical differences men are more appropriate for employment.

There are plenty of extreme hard labour jobs out there that most women would not be well suited for. We ought not to have "normalization" tests for potential women soldiers and an all together different and more difficult set of criteria for potential male soldiers. Same would apply to a firemens position. Now I am not arguing to lower that standard for everyone so that all can easily attain the positions but rather they ought not to expect any less of a soldier or firefighter simply because they are female. Consider in the situation of policing a women is often if by themselves in a very percarious position of dealing with males that are dangerous. These are only a few situations were we can apply certain disadvantages women face in the workplace off the top of my head. There shouldn't be a quota in place to insure that women are employed simply because there are none employed and political pressure is on these employers to have women on regardless of the job at hand.

We have been moving from a physical labor society to an information society for a few centuries now, but especially in the past 100 years with the advent of the industrial revolution when physical labor was replaced by machinery, the assembly line, and today, computers. *That* is one of the main reasons why it is no longer required for us to be a patriarchal society. We have advanced to the point where we no longer have to be dominated by the needs of our biology as much as in the past. Obviously we are still very much influenced by our biology because of the fact that on an evolutionary timescale, the past few centuries have been a blip. But we are rapidly moving past the limitations of the past. It's one of the main reasons why we, as a society, have much more material wealth today than in the past. It's because 50% of the population is now allowed to work, obviously.

I do think it is interesting though how what used to be considered wealthy is now poor. Consider that in the early 20th century and late 1800s you were farely well if you had a wood stove in your kitchen with pots and pans. Today however that isn't even a consideration as it is assumed that it is there as well as the pots and pans, washer, dryer, vacuums, televisions, carpets, stereos, phones, computers ..... on and on. The material wealth is staggering if you think about it. All this certainly flys in the face of that the old left wing saying the rich get richer and the poor get poorer this is absolutely wrong.... Rather it says when the rich become richer the poor will become more wealthy. Kind of contradictory isn't it? But that is what we see. The next time you hear someone say "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" set them straight would you?

I am not sure if your logic on why society is patriarchal is 100% though. There are a lot of factors as to why. Males are more aggressive then females over all and often make a bid for leadership positions this is likely do to the fact that males produce considerably higher levels of testosterone. But I would suggest to you that monogamy is patriarchal as well and is a result of the unwillingness of males to look after/pay for another mans children, particularly in the past. The simple fact of the matter is that the natural family is inherently tied to the arrangement of monogamy via the life long commitment of child rearing. This may indeed explain why societies are universally Patriarchal. The universally preferred method of relationships brings on the arrangement of Patriarchy. Now even though I see mens work value being cut down because of the injection of females into the work place I don't think that we will see Patriarchy disappear any time soon as a result though. The biological drive of females to have dominant males, strength as well as intelligence will always create a situation where males seek leadership and power, women like these things in a mate and their children. ;)

4) I never said that laws equate morals. I said that one of the first steps to changing a society is through its laws.

Ok so you indorse coorsive government laws in a top down model, but I already knew that Natoma. I was maybe looking for an advanced argument there sorry I read more into what you were saying then you were but that is a good thing..

5) The fact that you equate homosexuality with an affliction already shows that no matter what comes out you're still going to be the same bigoted person you are today. You've already made up your mind.

No, show me the gene that causes the homosexual behavior and you will get acceptance.

6) I know that I was born gay the same way I know you were born straight. Actually who knows. You might be a repressed homosexual in real life. there are certainly enough examples of the worst gay bashers and homophobes actually being gay themselves and doing whatever they can to repress it, which sometimes comes out in vehemently anti-social ways such as the attitude you display sabastian.

It makes sense to be born able to reproduce as all life does try to reproduce it is one of the defining characteristics of life. I am afraid I don't "bash" gays. While I do think that their sexuality is disgusting I don't go around beating up people or anything of the sort. I would certainly hope that you are not a heterosexual "basher" because you think heterosexuality is disgusting. Further my opposition to the homosexual consistutional rights grab has more to do with attacking the left wing social agenda and protecting the integrity of the traditional/natural family. I refuse to be put on some sort of defensive mode simply because you are using another sort of intimidation to stifle the debate and continue on with your political agenda as if everyone is in agreement that indeed you are deserving of your political ends. Your constant labeling of bigotry, "homophobia" and even more advanced intimidation of suggesting that indeed someone because they oppose you is themselves possibly homosexual the more they protest the more it is possible idea will not work with me. It is shallow and pathetic.

7) Here's some food for thought sabastian. Let's say that you do indeed choose to be gay. Let's say I grant you that. That must mean that the entire world is bisexual, and that *everyone* has homosexual attractions, desires, and leanings, as well as heterosexual attractions, desires, and leanings. The difference is that most people choose to follow their heterosexual attractions and a minority choose to follow their homosexual attractions.

You cannot argue that homosexuality is something you choose and on the flip side of the coin state that heterosexuality is natural. A choice involves two options at the least. The two arguments are completely diametrical. Either homosexuals and heterosexuals choose their sexuality, which means that we're all bisexual and we made the choice to be with the opposite or the same sex, or we're born that way.

Are you really ready to admit that you're equally attracted to guys as you are to girls sabastian? I mean, I know how I feel, and I know that I'm not attracted to women, so I guess I must be a freak for not fitting into your "Choice" scenario of equal attraction to both males and females. Right?

lol, ok. It was you whom suggested that some homosexuals can choose to be with the other sex and it was you whom also in the same breath said some heterosexuals can choose to be with the same sex. Now what I did was suggest that indeed if they can do this then you are not talking about heterosexuals or homosexuals but a bisexual. I did not say that homosexuals choose to be homosexual but that the existence of bisexuals lends credence to the possibility that homosexuals are not necessarily biologically inclined. If you do choose to be homosexual, this is far worse then you being genetically inclined. This is why you would deny the existance of bisexuality isn't it? For all I know there are no real homosexuals and all we have are some people whom are genetic bisexuals that are able to choose.

Funny thing is though Natoma I don't think you would really admit to choosing your sexuality simply to suggest that I might be also.... or would you? ;)

For me I don't know if you are born, made or homosexual by choice. As far as I am concerned there really is no choice in it for me so how could there be one for you? I don't know. Certainly the genetic problem is a possibility. Possibly it is a matter of socialization. Or it could be that you choose, just how it is that you choose .... I don't know and wouldn't pretend to. But until you can absolutely prove that there is a "gay" gene that forces you to behave like you do then there is no grounds for law making to be done as no one knows why you behave the way that you do and there are allot of scientist that don't know why ether.

My view is that any human population could be made under extreme conditions homosexual. Imagine a group of young children with no prior sexual knowledge raised on an island by a homosexual. It is likely these children would take some fancy to homosexuality. In other words I believe that it is quite possible to train a young person to like homosexuality. Now what prevents that sort of thing from occurring on a large scale are the social mores against it. Natural societies suppress homosexual behavior so that such unusual conditions don't come to be... There may also be, in very small numbers of course, people with a predisposition to choose homosexual behavior. Some may be predisposed I suppose to drink in the way an alcoholic may be predisposed to drink if drink is close by. But nothing except some personal desire makes the bottle be brought to his lips. After all society has all sorts of people with predispositions of all kinds ...necrophilism, lesbianism, suicide, overeating, stealing, homosexuality, pedophilia, bestiality, bad tempers the list is nearly endless. Society has always been like this and it isn't likely going to change anytime in the near future. I think it is possible that we always end up in some sort of conflict of expertise where biased experts with opposite political agendas fight on for an eternity which really seems like a dead end. That is unless you can produce the genetic evidence to prove that homosexuality is a genetic affliction.

I believe that a baby is "human" once it is capable of living outside the womb. As far as I know, fetuses are capable of living outside the womb, albeit with the help of prenatal womb-like machinery, late in the 2nd trimester. Btw, I'm sorry that you lost a child to abortion and were not notified, given the chance, to have input on the decision. I believe you were robbed of your right to fatherhood by that act, and you have a right to be upset.

Where do you get the grounds for your belief that a baby is human once it is capable of living outside of the womb, the feminist manifesto ? Come on.... I have seen babes in ultra sounds, moving around kicking. Their central nervous system is well developed they can hear voices. I actually remember hearing my mothers voice while I was inside her. I also can remember hearing another voice from outside that I can only assume was my fathers .... Moms voice was louder I can only assume that was because I was inside of her. It sounds funny to say it but I remember it quite vividly actually as well as a continuous heart beat. Do you know the baby trys to escape from the forceps the doctors use to break the child into peaces. I saw a video once on this type of common abortion. It is sick. Partial birth abortions another sick method where the childs head is only partially out and the abortionist quickly jab a hollo tube into the childs skull and then the brain is sucked out. Thankfully the republicans have ended partial birth abortions truly a barbaric medical standard. My sakes it makes my stomach turn to think about it.

I am afraid that I was notified and it didn't matter what I had to say about the arrangement, thank you for that acknowledgement. It was even worse then that though not only did I lose my daughter but also it felt like a rejection of me. It was a fairly traumatic event. I don't think I will ever get over it.

Personally, my mother told me that she contemplated abortion, and was even pressured by some family and friends to have an abortion because they felt she was too young at the time to raise a child. She was 23. Thankfully she chose to keep and raise me, but I do not begrudge her or feel in any way shape or form less loved because she contemplated it. Quite the contrary, I feel even more loved because she decided that she wanted to have and raise me. And frankly she did a damn good job of it. I have no fault with her parenting.

So I believe I have a more personal track on what I'm talking about when it comes to being on the *receiving* end of abortion sabastian. I'm not degrading the pain you feel or saying that it's any less, but considering I could have been one of the aborted, I think my stance on this matter maybe carries a little more weight. I generally don't share things such as that because they are indeed so personal, but in this case I felt that you needed to know where I'm coming from with regard to my stance. I'm not some oblivious "nose stuck in the air" high minded idealist who doesn't see the reality of what is going on.

No and I didn't get that sense. There are allot of them "nose stuck in the air" high minded idealist whom wont even listen to what you have to say...

1) Worldnetdaily is most certainly a christian fundamentalist website. Ann Coulter, for example, is one of the most right wing christian fundamentalists in the world. She's the "Rush Limbaugh" of fundies on the web. Besides, if you don't think they're christian fundamentalists, you must not think Al-Jazeera has an overly islamic, anti-american slant. ;)

Hrm I didn't get that sense even after I went back to the site. Besides I just picked it out of google anyhow.

2) The link for this thread was merely reporting the *news* of the United States and the UN vote, *not* trying to form some scientific study with "gay funded" participants. Big difference. If the news of the United States abstaining from this vote was on the worldnetdaily website, I wouldn't have an issue with it. That's the news.

There's a big difference between scientific studies that are commissioned by a bigoted group explicitly looking to find proof for their bigotry, and a renouned scientific journal commissioning the same study for the explicit furthering of science. One tries to be impartial. The other does not.

Frankly, I would be skeptical if I were you if I had given a link to the studies regarding homosexuality and pedophilia if it had come from the National Gay and Lesbian organization as well, because it would be in their best interests for the events of the study to come out in a certain manner.

The Journal of Pediatrics has no such interest, which is why I trust their judgement more than worldnetdaily and the doctors associated with them.

But there was a PDF. I am not sure if you had the time to bother with it or not. http://drjudithreisman.org/whitep/regent.pdf

3) I agree that homosexuality can produce abnormal behavior. The incidence of suicide is more than 5 times higher among homosexual children and teens than their heterosexual counterparts. Depression, anti-social behavior, substance abuse. They are all higher among gay teens. Then again, it's not surprising considering the amount of self-loathing and resentment and hatred gay teens develop because of the society they grow up in.

Considering I grew up in a *heavily* christian family and surrounding, not to mention the society I grew up in (black community, very macho, anti-gay), I spent the better part of my teens and early 20s going through constant depression. When I was 16 I contemplated suicide and was *this* close to going through with it because I couldn't take the mental and emotional abuse anymore.

And I wasn't even out of the closet!

So you're definitely correct there, as those psychiatrists were. Homosexuality, due to societal pressures, biases, and hatreds, can most certainly induce abnormal behavior.

We don't know why it produces the abnormal behavior there is some genetic connection so it is difficult to say if it is a social or genetic matter. I know that my sister is Scitso with a Manic-depressive bi-polar disorder this runs in the family on my fathers side. Surely all of these problems would be subsiding now that the environment is so pro homosexual? Don't know any of the figures but I am willing to bet that indeed the problem is not so much that everyone else thinks homosexuals have problems but they themselves feel different and don't like that knowing most everyone else is normal. This in itself would cause some serious internal strife correct me if I am wrong.

I'm trying to clean my own country first before I go to any others. What's the use of fighting for the rights of others in other countries when I don't even have my own rights here at home? I find no use for it, and that is why I concentrate on the home front first and foremost. Simple.

I know that those countries are not in the best of shape, but ours is certainly far from perfect. Since I live *here*, this is the place that I'm trying to change first and foremost.

The matter is that your country doesn't need any more cleaning up IMO. The problem with the critical mind is that it will try to fix everything and then once everything is fixed it will look and find more problems to fix. My favorite saying to apply here is "if it isn't broken don't fix it."

2) You rail against gay people as "chaps on a float of a giant erect penis." Jesus Sabastian. Not every gay person does that! There are straight people out there who go on Jerry Springer and tell the world about how they f*cked their brother, killed their boss, aborted their child, and on top of that, they're currently sleeping with another man and they want to tell their husband about it indignantly, with the "Roooh Roooh Roooh" and "Woof Woof Woof" of the audience behind them.

Hey I don't like that garbage anymore then you do. But the matter is that this is coming from the garbage morality the left preaches. "if it feels good do it" mentality. Left thinkers like to sit back and watch how easily a once highly moral society can be turned into a sprawling mess on the stage on a cable broadcast channel. They want to create a situation where the traditional family is no longer able to be responsible enough to look after itself so that the government is given permission to swoop down and rescue people from themselves. They really like to destabilize the current environment as much as possible so that people will say "thats enough, do something about it." I have even seen university professors in sociology incourage it in their students. Just pathetic. Springer is known to have paid slobs come on his show and the crowd are a bunch of morons in my opinion. Oh I gotta say it .... the same people who like Jerry Springer like watching WWFgarbage as well. Bah, mostly I watch the news(always have.) discovery channel and I like a few sit coms.

EDIT: I hear J. Springer is running for the Democrates, funny that.

Also, you *think* that there aren't any gay people in your family. With your attitude it's any wonder that they wouldn't want to come out, especially if your attitude is the prevailing attitude in your family. It's attitudes like yours that kept me in the closet to my family for so long. The funny thing is, quite a few of the homophobic people in my family turned around once they realized "one of their own" is gay. You might be surprised.

Listen I don't go around looking for "gays" or trying to sniff them out or go on tangents to anyone in my family about "gays". There simply isn't any. I am not going to even bother replying to any more suggestions that there are some sercret "gays" in my family I have told you this mulitiple times now. It is simply rediculus speculation.

3) Gay people are biologically capable of having kids you know :LOL:. There are many gay people who have come out in their later years after raising families.

Then they couldn't be biologically homosexual could they?

Sabastian, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. One person's beauty is another person's hag. There is no room for interpretation with racism and homophobia. I'll leave the distinction at that and move on to the next.

Is that right? Now I am going to cheat here a bit Natoma, sorry. ;) Who here thinks that this woman is ugly?... http://207.44.134.36:8080/images0/240b.jpg

Here's a site:

PBS.org

They speak of quite a few studies done on this matter. I'd consider PBS to be quite objective.

Public Broadcasting System is fairly unbiased but I read the article and found nothing that suggest conclusively that the differences were a result of genes but rather they clearly give a number of possibilities as to why they were different including this only three paragraphs from the bottom.

A second idea is that the hypothetical gene acts indirectly, through personality or temperament, rather clan directly on sexual-object choice. For example, people who are genetically self-reliant might be more likely to acknowledge and act on same-sex feelings than are people who are dependent on the approval of others.
In other words they don't know, just like us. Likely they should have addressed this possibility a little bit more closely in this document. I wouldn't get excited over the prospect simply because they see it runs in families like many recessive genes do. But they really didn't conclude that either.. The last line should have said... we don't know.

p.s.: Science is *built* upon theory sabastian. You take an assumption and then, through scientific method, qualitatively prove it, or at least get enough proof to say "yes, we believe this is correct."

Think about it. That means that Galileo's belief that the earth revolved around the sun was not legitimate science, it was speculation. Einstein's theories must not have been legitimate science, only speculation. Speculation does not automatically negate legitimacy. That's a basic truism of science.

Science is trial and error. Most every experiment includes assumptions which may or may not be right. This is the achilleas heal of the scientific method and it isn't my creation but rather a credible philosophical argument that I have applied to the "science" of Sociology as a result of their basic premise in socialization theories that their is no such thing a human nature and our behavior is a product of our environment. Indeed they tried to erase what was on the board and even attempted to rewrite overtop of it.

You obviously don't understand human sexuality sabastian. Many studies have been completed by scientifically objective bodies such as The Journal of Sex Research, The Journal of Clinincal Psychology, The Journal of Human Sexuality, etc etc etc, that show that human beings are for the most part not exclusively heterosexual or homosexual.

Oh yet another intimidation tactic ... the suggestion of ignorance. I am certain that indeed there are far more heterosexuals that are entirely and exclusively heterosexual. While on the other hand you would find at all the places that you point out there are very few exclusive homosexuals. The really are not comparable. The percentage disparities would be staggeringly different. lol... If they are not exclusive they are not either homosexual or heterosexual but bisexual. The percentages of exclusively heterosexual people clearly stand for the vast majority of the worlds population, don't play games here. Exclusive homosexuals only account for less then 1% of the population.

That innate human ability to appreciate attractiveness in both sexes is because of our sexuality. Current scientific numbers place exclusive homosexuality and heterosexuality as only 2% to 10% of the human population. Everyone else is somewhere in between. Our current definitions of sexuality are merely that way because they are convenient descriptors, but they are certainly flawed.

lol, this is a pile of crap. This is how I believe the measurement goes. Your familiar with the bell cure correct? Well lets put a gender on each end. The less then 1% of exclusive homosexuals represented on one side and exclusive lesbians on the other. In the center you would most certainly have the vast majority of heterosexuals representing the largest portion of the population with bisexuals of each extreme on either side. It would not be that bisexuals represent the majority as you are suggesting at all. This is purely a hypothetical measurement ideal and is highly speculative. If you were to measure it that is how you would do it in my opinion.

curve.JPG

It doesn't defy the biological explanation I gave earlier because you can be born gay or straight and still have sex with someone of the same sex or opposite sex. If you close your eyes and receive a blow job sabastian, and you never open them, you can get off and not even realize it's a guy's mouth rather than a girls. It's the psychological/mental orientation that defines us overall.

But this is not how we go about things is it? We don't separate the psychological from the physical. When we are looking for a mate we don't do it with our eyes closed do we? And yes it does defy the explanation of homosexuality being a genetic affliction and lends credence to the possibility that you are indeed making a choice. To choose to be homosexual are not grounds for government legislation of this morality.

Frankly the idea of having sex with a woman turns my stomach, but that doesn't mean that all gay men have that reaction. I'm sure the idea of having sex with a man turns your stomach sabastian, but that doesn't mean that all straight men have that reaction. You'd be surprised by the responses people would give if this society weren't so repressive of sexuality.

Oh you heterosexual basher... ;) I don't know nor do you know what sorts of responses people would give but if you are suggesting that in a pro homosexual environment there would be pro homosexual statements attitudes.... this lends more credence to the learned or made homosexual.

1) Sodomy is defined as anal *and* oral sex in most states Sabastian. Let's get that part straight.

Oh, heh, learn something new everyday.

2) Anal sex most certainly does not occur while there is feces present anymore than vaginal sex occurs when a woman is menstruating *shudder*. It's called cleansing. Unless of course you happen to be into the uterine-tissue-and-blood-on-the-penis fetish :oops: :LOL: *puke*.

Man, I don't think you could fool anyone with the statement that there are no feces present in the anus. Trace amounts would always be present and bowel movements are something that occur daily. Where menstruation is on a monthly cycle. Comparing the anus to the vagina is silly. lol, your reaction is appreciated though I don't think that there are many out there that really like sex in that time period. lol *puke*. :LOL: . The rectum is not for sex biologically at all while the vagina is specially suited for it.. ;)

3) The mouth is also used only for speaking, eating/drinking, and breathing. What's the use of kissing then? I mean, kissing is pretty disgusting when you think about it. Our mouths are *full* of bacteria. When you swap saliva with someone else, you're also swapping old food they missed when they brushed their teeth, plaque, and a hell of a lot of germs.

Definitely disgusting when you think about it eh?

Yeah, certainly the spread of STDs to the mouth and throat area are becoming more and more of a problem with the proliferation of oral sex. http://www.alice.columbia.edu/highlight/page3.html Looks like you will have to use a condom for that as well, where oral sex used to be touted as something that was safe it is now becoming more risky. Funny that. Some viruses like HPV are not inhibited by the use of condoms.
http://www.geocities.com/thehpvvirus/condoms.html

4) People that seek out particular porn generally do so because they already *have* those inner feelings. However, as you've stated, people also start off not knowing things sexually. In some cases when they see something new, it turns them on and they incorporate it in their sex life. In other cases they see something new and know they don't like it, and discard it as a sexual option.

I've watched movies with sadomasochism. I definitely am not turned on by it. I'm sure if you watched gay porn, unless you're a closet case, you wouldn't be turned on it. I don't get turned on my heterosexual porn either. Well that's not true. When the guy is hot. But seriously, straight porn is all about the women. 9 times out of 10 they have some 60yr old fat tub of lard screwing some 20 year old and it works cause all the straight men looking at the porn are looking at the women. :LOL:. But I digress. :)

Consider a young man wants to see a naked woman.... any half way decent looking woman would suffice. But when they finally do get to view one she is having anal sex for example. I believe what happens is that repeated exposure to soft porn lends way to more and more graphic and hard core porn as a result of a desensitization of the reader to simply for example a naked woman. Perversity is progressive and what used to be suitable with soft porn is no longer as exciting to the persons in question and they seek out more perverse ideas and porn. In other words if exposure to soft pornography was kept to a minimum the person in question would most certainly be excited by most any woman at all. But this is not what is happening and great many people are becoming more and more desensitized to porn and subsequently the types of sex or even sexuality that they want to experience are possibly becoming more varied. It starts off out of innocents and curiosity made becomes more perverse from there. That is my opinion.

I'm sure the majority didn't want equal rights for blacks in the 60's, or equal rights for women in the 70's. Certainly doesn't mean the decision to give address those rights was wrong.

I think you are exagerating things here. In the 60s and 70s there were all sorts of people(majority) whom thought that racism was wrong. There were not any laws disinfranchising women or blacks in the time you are talking about AFAIK.

The major downside to homosexuality is society's reaction, particularly people like you. But gay children and teens don't need schools to teach them that.

Yes they do and they should if they do teach about homosexuality.

Uhm, people have been getting divorced for millennia. There have been impoverished single parents just as long, and there have been well off single parents too. And btw, my mom was basically a single parent in terms of my legal guardian, but I would hardly call the situation I grew up in impoverished. Way to generalize. And man, STDs have been around since the dawn of time and are not and have not been limited only to those who are single. Come on now, you can come up with something better than that can't you?

The mushroom of divorce rates sense the sexual revolution and "free sex" are not really something you can say ever existed in the past.

The alarming increase in STDs that has accompanied the increase in sexual promiscuity sense the "sexual revolution" and "free sex" also cannot be wrote off as a epidemic that always existed in equally devastating numbers before the "sexual revolution". There simply was not nearly the levels of promiscuity before that we have now and certainly the millions killed by AIDS should not be overlooked but it seems that somehow it is. But that is just the numbers of AIDS victims consider the plight of millions of others infected with a whole variety of different incurable diseases and you can only conclude that we have to stop proliferating the idea that promiscuous sex is something that is ok. We can't give that message out though BTW if at the same time we are sporting condoms as some sort of protection. Rather we ought to be suggesting abstinence or considerably less sex with multiple partners and the message should be clear and unambiguous for their sake.

I seriously doubt that Sabastian. Either you keep your opinions to yourself, you're deluding yourself, or you're outright lying. No gay person would put up with your closed minded bigotry for long anymore than any self respecting woman would put up with a male chauvinist or a black person would put up with a white supremacist.

Well I am openly sexist. I think men and women are different. I am racist in that I believe blacks have a better set of genes. I never keep my opinions to myself.....;) and your right I know very few "gays" and hence my joke that "some of my best friends are "gay". But that isn't because I wouldn't have a conversation with one, I simply don't know any, oh with the exception of yourself of course. Imagine that. ;)

3) I couldn't be bothered to be married in a christian church or any church for that matter. I could just as easily go down to city hall. It's the *right* to marry that is deserved. The venue is of little circumstance, just as it is to heterosexual couples.

Thats nice but I am not interested in what you are doing personally but rather what the gay movement is doing on a national scale. I am not interested in persectuting anyone what I am interested in is debating the political motives of the left. It just so happens that on the list of left wing political agenda is the homosexual agenda. The problem is that you want to use charter or constitutional law to evolke the government into providing speacial protective rights to homosexuals not over skin color or gender but actions and behavior with special regards to sexuality. I submit to you that other special interest groups will use that precedent to achieve some sort of likewise protection including poligymist, pedophiles, sexual sadist, sexual masochist and whom ever else that wants to argue that they are discrimanated against.

4) Infertile couples have the right to adopt. They can't reproduce. Your point?

My point on this is that adoptive parents ought to be at the very least a heterosexual couple that represents both mother and father figures and are best to give the adopted children the assemblance of a normal natural family.

I really have had enough of these long posts. It takes a considerable bit of my time to reply and it is time that I really don't have. I realize that I had a hand in perpetuating them so... but from here on out I will not respond to these massive posts I simply don't have the time. The last couple of days I have been working allot so the response was belated sorry for that.

On that note Natoma, over the past few days I really have become struck at how victimized you portray yourself and feel that this discussion is not good for you. I would submit an idea to you that possibly the fact that you see yourself as a victim of not only of racism but human sexuality is not a healthy mentality. Now please don't get me wrong here, I am not trying to be crass, but rather sensitive believe it or not. I suggest that you cease this self victimization and not focus on it and just try to be happy my friend. Stop trying to change the world if it will change it will do it in good time. MrSkywalker has a point when he says there is no one here that can do anything for your plight.

RussSchultz said:
The "at fault" divorce fits in to the discussion because there are legal implications of bedroom activities. (infidelity causes you to lose legal rights)

If we proclaim that bedroom activities are protected by this growing "right to privacy", then laws such as this could be declared unconstitutional because the goverment has no right interfering with what goes on in the bedroom.

I don't think that is a good outcome.

This argument is just totally ridiculous. The truth is something that Santorum just pulled out of his ass to try to explain away the big, fat foot he was sucking on. No need to actually put a foot in your mouth as well, by actually trying to defend its spurious credibility.

My point of view on the subject: ll human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. That's the only place where i can see egalitarism.

Then, i would say that any human being lives by discrimination of friends, votes, jobs, products, etc. That's human life. I won't accept any nazi in my house, i'm discriminating. Same perhaps for other people who dislike me. The important thing is to be free and not invades/diminishes people's rights.

I think that the law should be un-conflictible (?) saying that by followinf each law you can't break any law and then there's no conflict of rights. Otherwise there are issues and discrimination in the law.

covermye said:
As for the US's position on this in the UN. Its probably diplomatically sensible, in the same way that not taking a Jewish president is. Wrong, maybe, but savy yes.

Agreed here. Another twist: perhaps... just maybe... the U.S. feels that the UN shouldn't be concerned with this matter and this is motivation behind the abstention?

Is this the same US that proclaims to be going around "liberating" people? It's OK for the UN to tell countries not to practice genocide, but it's NOT within the scope of the UN to tell countries they can't persecute people for their sexuality?

The reason the US is abstaining is because otherwise the ultra-religious zealots wouldn't vote for good ol' Georgie boy next time. Or maybe Bush's real stance on the matter is that homosexuality is wrong and should be illegal, but he can't "come out of the closet" about it or he'd scare off all the moderates and win 10% of the vote. Actually, I think the latter is more likely, to be honest.

Nagorak said:
Is this the same US that proclaims to be going around "liberating" people?

When it's in the interest of our National Defense (as in Iraq), absolutely.

...Or maybe Bush's real stance on the matter is that homosexuality is wrong and should be illegal, but he can't "come out of the closet" about it or he'd scare off all the moderates and win 10% of the vote. Actually, I think the latter is more likely, to be honest.

Or maybe it's like me:

That he believes homosexuality is in fact wrong, but doesn't think that the federal government (or world government) is the place to legislate right or wrong in this case. It's much the same way I feel about abortion up to a certain point during pregnancy. It's a more local / cultural issue, and if it's addressed, should be addressed there. (In the U.S., that means being addressed on the state level.)

That's the most direct way to read an abstention vote without having to place all kinds of conspiracy / ulterior motives behind it. But then, I know ulterior motives are the leftist modus operandi, so I expect that you believe all people work the same way.

I though for the most part, the Bush administration had demonstrated that it is more straightforward (brutally so) than not...much to the dismay of "diplomacy" freaks.

I guess he's just brutally straightforward when it suits you, and then "highly secretive" at other times, right? :rolleyes:

Nagorak said:
This argument is just totally ridiculous. The truth is something that Santorum just pulled out of his ass to try to explain away the big, fat foot he was sucking on. No need to actually put a foot in your mouth as well, by actually trying to defend its spurious credibility.

Question for you, Nagorak.

Do you think polygamy should be a legalized marriage, just like heteros? How about incestual partnerships...? I can explain my own thoughts on that after I get yours....

Nagorak said:

Don't shoot the messenger. Its all about constitutional law, which many people just seem to throw out the window and demand what they think is right, rather than what is proscribed by the constitution (both on the left and right)

But, to continue on, do you even read up on the subject? You do realize that that was the exact argument given (apparently poorly) by the Texas Attorney General at the US Supreme court hearing on the case in question. Its the same argument forwarded by Scalia. This argument over the right to privacy is the reason why its in the supreme court in the first place!

People point to Ashcroft as the one wiping his ass with the constitution, but I'll stand up and point my little finger at the leftists too. Nowhere does it mention the RIGHT to abortion, or the RIGHT to sexual union with you you want, or the RIGHT to recognition of whatever lifestyle you choose.

Whether you think the right should or should not be exist is immaterial. COMPLETELY IMMATERIAL. The right isn't protected by the constitution. If you want it to be, you need an amendment, or some logical argument that construes whatever activity you want to be covered by a protected right, or some sympathetic majority of the supreme court that wants the right as much as you and are willing to wipe their ass with the constitution to create the right.

Roe v. Wade was the last method, by inventing a right to privacy and self determination. These rights are, as I mentioned before, being used as a powerful tool by political advocates to attempt to shape the law in their image, rather than the will of the people. The problem I have is this shaping is not done by the proscribed methods in the constitution.

This current case is trying to use that created right to privacy to forward their political cause by extending it further to cover what goes on in the privacy of the bedroom. And yes, if you widen the umbrella covered by the right, you'll likely end up with unintended consequences.

And, mind you, this has nothing to do with whether I believe gays deserve the same legal benefits conferred by (the legal institution of) marriage or not. I think they do. Its just not (currently) a right guaranteed by the constitution.

Marriage and family are is not rights guaranteed by the Constitution, either. Yet those "god-given rights" are the foundation for the argument against a right to privacy. But what the constitution does say, is that you have the right to the pursuit of happiness, and that all men are created equal. I think outlawing private acts between consenting adults and outlawing marriage based on gender should probably be considered unconstitutional under those terms, even without a right to privacy.

It seems to me like some people are grossly confusing the Bible with the Consitituion.

It seems to me that somebody (hint hint Crusher) is confusing the Declaration of Independance with the Constitution.

Blah, see how easily things get confused? :LOL:

You get my point though... documents that the nation is founded upon vs. religious beliefs

To everyone who said "The UN should not be forming this type of legislation":

Republican (surprise surprise :roll:) seeks to repeal New Mexico gay rights bill said:
The gay rights provisions would make it illegal to discriminate against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people in matters of employment, housing, credit, public accommodations and union membership.

http://uk.gay.com/headlines/4252

Some of us here speak so sanctimoniously about how we in the US must deliver democracy and freedom and tolerance to other nations. It's too bad we can't get it quite right in our own sometimes.

I'm quite happy that this bill was passed in New Mexico, and I certainly hope it stands up to this ridiculous conservative push. We in this country need to move past the bigotries of the past so that we can advance into the future. I certainly don't see how we can lead the world into further enlightenment when we have such conservative mantra here at home.

I love that little advert thats on the website you sent us. I just love looking at guys with nothing on but a cowboy hat covering their privates.

RussSchultz said:
I love that little advert thats on the website you sent us. I just love looking at guys with nothing on but a cowboy hat covering their privates.

Oh please. As if straight advertising isn't just as provocative. *cough* GAP *cough* abercrombie & fitch *cough* *cough* any beer advert *cough*.

But anyways that still doesn't address the article itself. Though it's kinda funny it was the advertising that caught your eye. I guess they must have made a good campaign. You remembered it. :)

Back