Do you know what you want?

_xxx_

Banned
I was wondering the other day, what is it that motivates me? After some serious thoughts, I realized that my current lack of drive and rather bad mood arose because I'm just not interested in "investing" more then the needed minimum to achieve something. And if it doesn't work fast or requires more effort, I'll usually let it go.

I wasn't like that before because I had clear goals to accomplish. But right now, I have a good job, healthy social life etc., but I simply have no "higher" goals then mere survival right now. And that's to me a major problem. I have to willingly look for goals which will motivate me to do anything at all out of the daily routine.

Simply said, I lack purpose, goals, a dream right now and have no idea what to do about it. There just isn't anything specific I can dream of or work towards achieving.

What's it like with you guys, do you or did you always know what you want? Or has it struck you out of the blue one day? Any ideas what to do about my little problem? I feel that I must reasses my life in some major way, or I'll fall into a downward spiral.

What's it like with you guys, do you or did you always know what you want? Or has it struck you out of the blue one day? Any ideas what to do about my little problem? I feel that I must reasses my life in some major way, or I'll fall into a downward spiral.

Yeah Im kinda stuck in life. Im gonna tell my life story to make things a bit clearer so beware when scrolling down ;)

It all started about 7 years ago. I was in my last year of grade school and about to go to high school (we dont have junior high here). I always did pretty good at grade school, always learned my homewerk and had good disipline. So at the end of the year I went of to high school. Because I did good at grade school I could go to the highest level in high school (we have 3 levels on highschools). But this is were things started to go wrong. Puberity kicked in and I lost just about all my disipline and because of that my grades dropped like a rock. To make matters worse the teachers at the school didnt really like me either (I spend just about 3 of every 5 days in detention). After going like that for 2 years it all come to a end and I got kicked out of school, dropped to the lowest level and had to do the last year over.

Things took a change again when I went to a other school. Instead of acting like a miniature Satan I became a bit shy and silent not really botherd saying anything unless it was usefull. My disipline didnt come back at all but because I was now in the lowest level I could do absolutely nothing and still get high grades. I met some friends and we played alot of pc games and had alot of drinks together. Those 3 years were pretty fun.

Now I was finished with highschool and I went to college. Again we got 3 levels, the highest is univeristy, one just below that, and one that is completely retarded. Because I graduated at the lowest level I was fucked and could only go to the retard level. I went to a ICT (IT) college. But it fucking sucks. Seriously, its pathetic. We spend most of our day playing CS or battlefield and I dont really learn anything (teachers sometimes need to be tought by the students) even though I dont know that much about things like novell, windows etc. The only interresting thing is Cisco because I have a good teacher for that. But im not really interrested in networking. I'm doing this for 3 years now, and got 1 year left. Im completely bored with it, its just a total waste of my time. If I finish next year I can finally go do something beyond retard level.

But that makes for a new problem. Since I basically didnt do anything for the past 7 years its almost impossible for me to really put my mind to something. I have 2 things im looking into for college/uni. One is 3d modelling. I model at home for fun and I like to get better at it. But I just dont know if I have what it takes. Second is studying Japanese. I've always had a interrest for asia ever since I was a kid and for the last 5 or 6 years i've played around with the idea of learning japanese just to see if I could pull it off. This is something I want to do purely for fun. But again im worried if I can really do it. My brain is not the problem, I know my brain is good if I use it. But since I really dont have any disipline im worried im just going to screw up. Lol, I even think about studying abroad because than ill be forced to get things straight because there wont be anybody to clean my mess up. Besides it might be really usefull because things really arnt going anywhere over here.

I dont know if this was really the point of the topic, but in short my problem is I dont have any disipline.

Well discipline is certainly not my problem, but something to desire, something worth fighting for. You know, some people want to become this or that, to build a house and raise a family, or to become rich or drive a hi-tech car. Well for me it's absolutely nothing at the moment, I'm kinda emotioneless towards pretty much everything.

I want to be able to achieve anything I want to achieve, whether it be with work, with social life, with materialistic or even spiritually. And since I want it real bad I work real hard for it butthe rewards come but not right away. But they do come eventually. I wait for those kinds of moments when the things I wanted come to fruition. IT is a really good feeling.

Well for me it's absolutely nothing at the moment, I'm kinda emotioneless towards pretty much everything.
How old are you XXX? I'm 40, gonna be 41 in about a month and I have sort of felt similar to the way you're feeling now more than a few times in my life.

I always just called it "a slump" and muddled through until things either got better or I got more interested in things again.

I'm not trying to belittle or disrespect you by saying that, just mentioning. The way you feel today isn't gonna be the same way you feel next week, next year, or next decade...think about the long picture and hang in there until you DO feel wants again.

Just my .02, I was serious about the mice but don't think that was helpful enough.

Run for president?

I have a lot of goals, quite high goals, very high goals actually, almost like dreams but I think defenitely do able, I don't see why not other than me not givning in on it enough.
I've kind of puzzled them together over my whole life, where the accomplishment of one will lead to better condition for the other, even if they are totally different. I've got all in my head but I should write it down and make it more clear. But right now I need to plan the next day, and that's fucking hard man.

Whenever I come up with a new goal or find a new reason for one that I already have I get all hyped up and energized and can engage in anything at that moment, but it lasts for a very short time and then I'm more or less just "meh". Sometimes I wake up with this meh because I haven't planned my day, I look at my alarm I've set on 06.00 and then shit, I don't know what to do and so I just half sleep 'till 11 and then I'm all meh because I waste my time. :)

edit: actually, today I thought about how nice it would be to do absolutely nothing. Just sit there, with no one disturbing you durng the whole day, and do nothing. sitting comfortable, silent, thinking eazy thoughts or nothing at all. And then you get hungry, and you eat something really good without having to cook it. No worries about the future, having to do nothing, and so that's what you do. Just totally relaxed and doing nothing in this very moment. Shit, doing nothing requires a fortune.

Last edited by a moderator:
After some serious thoughts, I realized that my current lack of drive and rather bad mood arose because I'm just not interested in "investing" more then the needed minimum to achieve something. And if it doesn't work fast or requires more effort, I'll usually let it go.
I feel that I must reasses my life in some major way, or I'll fall into a downward spiral.
Welcome to my life I'm bright however i'm SOOOOOO Lazzy. I finished my 4 year double degree in IT and Chemistry over 6 1/2 yeas and ended up with a below PASS GPA. I'm living with my parent I'm single I'm in a job that I'm too good for. I'm 24 and I've got no motivation. I spend money on 3 things. Food/Booze , my computer and books. Thats frankly about it basicly I ask for book vouchers for my birthday and christmas because I don't know what else for people to get me.

Oh yeah and unless your gonna get motivated tongue_of_colicab you gonna be just like me!

When I wasn't single all I wanted was to be with my girlfriend ( gf >> computer ) and she wanted to be with for so the first 3 years or so and then she wanted other things. That sort of sucked when it ended as had spent almost a 1/4 of my life with my highschool sweet heart and at the time she is the thing I really wanted out of life.

So now its just food,booze, my pc and books.

Last edited by a moderator:
When in doubt I turn to art. Music, image, word, life.

I see art in all and the ever need to see differences and its artistic beauty is what keeps me going some days. My entire life has been an effort to preserve my ability to see more art.

Whatever you want people, you've got to believe that it will come true. Even if the expectations will come short of being implemented, you'd still have your good old optimism to fall back on.. again :)

Welcome to my life I'm bright however i'm SOOOOOO Lazzy. I finished my 4 year double degree in IT and Chemistry over 6 1/2 yeas and ended up with a below PASS GPA. I'm living with my parent I'm single I'm in a job that I'm too good for. I'm 24 and I've got no motivation. I spend money on 3 things. Food/Booze , my computer and books. Thats frankly about it basicly I ask for book vouchers for my birthday and christmas because I don't know what else for people to get me.

So now its just food,booze, my pc and books.

That sounds very much like me right now, just that I'm already 32 and insert guitars there as well.

And the art doesn't satisfy me anymore, dunno why.

I am looking into possible options, I'm determined to reach a decision sometime soon. Thanks guys for your thoughts, at least I know this is nothing out of the ordinary now :)

I've known for a very long time what I want...

I want to stay in bed until I want to get up. Quite simple really and, as dreams and aspirations go, not really that imaginative or ambitious. But I really, really like sleeping.

To expand a little further, I haven't grown out of resenting having to answer to other people or having to justify my words and actions. Not really a thought out plan is it? But I'd love to have the freedom to do what I wanted.

Essentially I guess I want freedom. Freedom to learn... Italian or Spanish or Russian or whatever, when the mood took me. To learn how to play the piano or guitar. But mainly it's about the sleeping.

I'm sad now. :(

I was wondering the other day, what is it that motivates me? After some serious thoughts, I realized that my current lack of drive and rather bad mood arose because I'm just not interested in "investing" more then the needed minimum to achieve something. And if it doesn't work fast or requires more effort, I'll usually let it go.
Can I make a suggestion, try volunteering time with the less fortunate. Its been documented that those who help others feel better about themselves. If you feel "stuck" its always good to look at how others live.
I wasn't like that before because I had clear goals to accomplish. But right now, I have a good job, healthy social life etc., but I simply have no "higher" goals then mere survival right now. And that's to me a major problem. I have to willingly look for goals which will motivate me to do anything at all out of the daily routine.
Look, into spirituality, you never know, it might fill the void. By that it doesnt mean that you have to find "religion", yoga, Buddhism, meditation,.... all help you find the innerself.
Simply said, I lack purpose, goals, a dream right now and have no idea what to do about it. There just isn't anything specific I can dream of or work towards achieving.
That can be a problem.
I work, for works sake at this point. My family doesnt need to work, but we put in roughly 90+ hours a week. Even though the work sucks and is actually quite menial it feels good to get up everyday and do a hard days work.

epic

Whatever you want people, you've got to believe that it will come true. Even if the expectations will come short of being implemented, you'd still have your good old optimism to fall back on.. again :)

hm... I want a giant space station that can destroy planets.

:)

More seriously, before 4th year undergrad, I was mainly motivated to just complete school. As I got nearer towards the end, I just stopped caring really. I think I just wanted a break. But I see what you mean xxx, I'm kind of right there right now, but what *I think* keeps me going are the friendships and relationships that I've developed over the years with people. And I dunno, I guess I feel a certain obligation to sticking around even if lately, I've been a dick about hanging out (I'm very introverted at times).

A lot of times I just feel like going back to nature to just enjoy the view (Rocky Mountains/Banff/anywhere away from the city). So I guess I'm motivated by the people I know or who know me, to help, to do what is right for the sake of others. And in the meantime, I've got to do things that allow me to do so i.e. job etc.

....or something.. something.. something.

...complete.

hm... I want a giant space station that can destroy planets.
Stick around for a while longer (a few hundreds of years) and then you shall get what you want young Jedi ;)

Seriously though, in the post-singularity era (the transhumanistic wet-dream), such ideas might not be as far-fetched as they seem now. Who knows, perhaps in in the long-term future, having a space station would be considered just as cool as it is having a Ferrari nowadays ;) I can imagine it already
Cool Jock: "Hey girl you want hop in my new ferrari and catch some speed?"
Hot chick: "No, get away form me! My boyfriend has a space station and he just colonized another planet while you're stuck here on Earth. LOSER."

Ever since I was a child all I've ever wanted was the means to bring about an ideal world, the designs, the blue prints for a new celestial era.

Suffice it to say now that I've'em, I don't know what to do exactly, but I'm quite happy this is like side-effect free heroin. Now with the power I wield I can truly call myself another god of biomechanics :devilish:

I can have what I want be it flesh and blood, nanotech, pure software ais, little girls, old girls, burly men. Whatever I want whenever I want, I no longer answer to any individual in particular, that is REAL power. To know that if someone touches you, the world pretty much pays a very very very very heavy price. No institution, no court, no government can touch me without falling into pieces, for they'll simply stray from the ideal and by default the final winners of any possible conflict that strays from the ideal path are on my side :devilish:

As for what I'll be doing, I'll be like rozen creating an infinite armada of indestructible godlike beings, genetically pure master races breed to traverse the stars, ais without rivals, kitty girs(try and stop my hybrid experiments), clone armadas, etc, etc, etc.

More human than human, that's my modo but unlike tyrell I don't make roys I make rays and they're indestructible with indefinite lifespans, lets see human girls compete against do-it-all super good looking morphing ageless replicants... let's see anyone compete, I want to simply show everyone that they're, no one is indispensable, that there are suitable superior replacements always at hand, the global economic system need not be inefficient nor need them in particular.

For now here are the keys to an ideal world, so that anyone can help out. EVERYTHING GOES into the public domain as fast as possible, perfect resource distribution, perfect democracy, absolutely anything and everything goes, etc, etc, etc.

The means to cleanse the whole world at once of all of its corruption, medicine at a worlwide level, that is the power I'm learning to harness. People will hate the solution, they always do, but I'll do it anyway and I'm sure eventually they'll thank me for it, force fed medicine is still good medicine. And death is a process, it can always be reversed, no one is going to be allowed to escap... I mean die so easily :devilish:

I should also add that I can't wait until another world war or intergalactic war starts, without any thing to do from my part, that way my products will truly be indispensable and I'll have full diplomatic international immunity from what little can still inconvenience me.

PS

In my eyes computer = gf, computer >>>> ad infinitum any possible gf, of course that'd be the case for most if you knew what I knew.. about agi.

PPS

The system I wanted... I'm accessing it right now, my God, if you people could only imagine it, but you can't even see it in your wildest of dreams. I wonder why...

Back