Mario Kart GC screens

Mario Kart, like someone already said, is and was always more about gameplay than graphics.
That being said IMO from this screenshots it looks "good enough" for a Mario Kart Game on GC.
It's still too early to judge this game on it's graphical merits. AFAIK there are no vids around yet, so nobody knows the amount of animation that went into the characters. AFAIK GC may need to touch the characters Vertex data often with the CPU which could bring the Polycount down quite a bit compared to static TnL. I'm not saying this is the case, I just want to give an example that screenshots don't tell the whole story.
Draw distance was quite good in MK64 (compared to some "foggy" racers back then), so this could be another potential area where this game might excel.

Anyway I'm looking forward to some multiplayer action. :)

OT:
What's up with all the leaks and announcements lately? I hope by E3 there are some games left to be revealed.

Pete said:
Personally, I think cel-shading would suit the game better (a la Paper Mario or Yoshi's Story).

Funny you should say that; neither of those even used cel-shading.

Yoshi's Story used pre-rendered sprites mapped onto pairs of polygons (IIRC, N64 doesn't have any dedicated sprite modes, or at least they're far too slow to be useful)...

And Paper Mario is regular 3D, but with vibrant colours, and the characters are also sprites mapped onto polys, but PM decided to do things differently and mapped the sprites into a real 3D space ^_^

Tagrineth said:
Pete said:
Personally, I think cel-shading would suit the game better (a la Paper Mario or Yoshi's Story).

Funny you should say that; neither of those even used cel-shading.

Yoshi's Story used pre-rendered sprites mapped onto pairs of polygons (IIRC, N64 doesn't have any dedicated sprite modes, or at least they're far too slow to be useful)...

And Paper Mario is regular 3D, but with vibrant colours, and the characters are also sprites mapped onto polys, but PM decided to do things differently and mapped the sprites into a real 3D space ^_^

Cell shading would suck for this game imho.

I know neither used cel shading (and I know Yoshi's Story is an even bigger stretch than Paper Mario), but the effect was vaguely similar, IMO. I just like their style: bright colors, flat shading (PM only) and thick outlines.

It looks damn fine imo.

mariokart_gcn_ss5.jpg

mariokart_gcn_ss4.jpg

^^^^
That looks bad? That looks like n64? mmmkay :?

Color me stupid, but I didn't particularly enjoy the N64 version. The handling and perspectives in Mario Kart 64 didn't seem right to me. I think I liked the original too much to adapt (put a good 2 years of solid playtime into the SNES version).

Would it really kill them to bump/specular map the track?? :p Or how about just sprucing up the models.. they're a little painfully low poly.

Would it really kill them to bump/specular map the track?? :D Or how about just sprucing up the models.. they're a little painfully low poly.

I gouess they could add a bit more poly's to the characters, but Mario Kart's always been a bright, happy, cartoony style game. How many more poly's can you put to make a character look more cartoony than it already is? Not much more you can do. I think it looks just the way it should. Also, you can't really judge the game by the screens, I'll bet it'll look tons better in motion (IMO it looks great to me already) This is definitely a game I can pick up with some friends and have some mean multi seshes.

Back