How to solve immaturity issues?

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Today in English I've been told that immaturity is not tolerated. I made a comment about it and was stared at by the teacher.
I thought I was funny. No one else did.

How do I solve the issue when "other" people are around(ie: not friends, just randoms)?

How about trying to visualize yourself in the 3rd person? So you can try to see yourself as others do. Maybe you aren't as funny as you think you are(at least I know you aren't here on B3D :p).

Today in English I've been told that immaturity is not tolerated. I made a comment about it and was stared at by the teacher.
I thought I was funny. No one else did.

How do I solve the issue when "other" people are around(ie: not friends, just randoms)?

get everyone drunk, they will laugh at most things you say.

Nite_Hawk

Stop while you're ahead. I had "that guy" in one of my graphic design courses who though everything he said was a stitch. Needless to say almost the entire classroom never laughed at anything he ever said, and he grew obnoxious 34 seconds after his first "joke" ever told.

There's an old saying that covers this; "Better to remain silent and be thought of a fool than to open your mouth and prove it". ;)

There is another saying that goes: It takes us a couple of years to learn how to speak and it takes us our entire lives and then some to learn when to shut up

It's not an issue of shutting up, rather then thinking before you speak. I think you need to take into consideration some factors before deciding to blurt out whatever comes to your mind. Factors such as audience, context, subject and your delivery. Most importantly you also need to understand your position within your audience. That's why commedians work so well, people laught at them because they are "supposed" to be funny. If you're labled an ass by your audience, then it doesn't matter what you will do, you will still be an ass.

It's not an issue of shutting up, rather then thinking before you speak. I think you need to take into consideration some factors before deciding to blurt out whatever comes to your mind. Factors such as audience, context, subject and your delivery. Most importantly you also need to understand your position within your audience. That's why commedians work so well, people laught at them because they are "supposed" to be funny. If you're labled an ass by your audience, then it doesn't matter what you will do, you will still be an ass.

Agreed. I myself have been labelled an "ass" at my social environment, though not for the same reasons as KILER (rather, I have a tendency to say some "strange" things, mostly related to questioning why something is as it is). For this reason, I have learned to just shut up and make myself scarce and obscure. I don't even go on parties, balls, dances or any social events anymore. Trust me, it has made me feel a lot better. ;)

It's not a matter of thinking, logic, luck, or any combination whatsoever. If humor abstractly favors you for no good reason, everyone will laugh all over even if you kill and slowly eat a baby(could be fake c.g. to make it look like that.) in live tv, no one might buy that it's for real, they'll just say wtf.

Back