Nokia N95 gaming

Phones are simply awful to gamr on.

Screens are way too small. Buttons are too small. Ergonomics is terrible. Phonbe joypads suck.

I'd never ever ever ever get a cellphonr to play games on no matter what specs. Besides if I have a phone I wouldn't want to run down the battery playign games on it.

Standby is short enough as it is especially as the battery ages. I can see that o nmy own Nokia New Yorker slide handset. Battery dies after a couple days even if I don't even tougch it much less makes any calls etc.

Peace.

Screens are way too small. Buttons are too small. Ergonomics is terrible. Phonbe joypads suck.
A 2,6" 320x240 screen should be more than decent enough for a passable gaming experience. However, that the control schemes for mobile gaming tend to suck badly is a sentiment I agree wholeheartedly with.

I think if you combined the sliding design with touch screen controls, you could have a proper D-pad on one side and a few face buttons sliding out on the other side, dropping the phone number keys entirely and thereby increasing the width of the sliding area on the other side. That shouldn't be that far from a DS Lite in ergonomics.

One problem however is that game controller buttons are usually deeper, providing better tactile feedback. Thus it's harder to put them on a sliding part.

I'd rather have a trifold than a slider. Here's my rendition.:devilish:

In the center is a widescreen 2.5" - 3" touchscreen LCD and to the left is a d-pad which if desired could be replaced with a recessed analog thumb nub. The little dot next to the d-pad is the mic. On the right is the buttons with the earpiece in the center. If desired you could add shoulder buttons to top of the left and right sections. To dial phone numbers you would just use the onscreen keypad.

I'd rather have a trifold than a slider. Here's my rendition.:devilish:

In the center is a widescreen 2.5" - 3" touchscreen LCD and to the left is a d-pad which if desired could be replaced with a recessed analog thumb nub. The little dot next to the d-pad is the mic. On the right is the buttons with the earpiece in the center. If desired you could add shoulder buttons to top of the left and right sections. To dial phone numbers you would just use the onscreen keypad.

Tri-fold is certainly interesting though it'd be a pain to use as a phone since you'd have to unfold TWO parts instead of just one. Maybe it could be spring loaded so at a push of a button, they pop open?

Maybe adjust your image so it's properly proportional - that way we could see what it would better look like. Right now, it doesn't seem that you could fold both sides in properly. Or maybe you weren't intending the two outer folds to meet at the middle? Or maybe I'm mistaking the hinge points.

How would you dial using the onscreen keypad? Is it a touchscreen?

Yeah it's a touchscreen like a lot of the new phones coming out recently so you dial by using a onscreen keypad instead of actual physical buttons. Anyway I made that in like 10 minutes so it's going to have some dimensional inconsistencies, but to be more clear the two flaps will overlap at the edges. You can see the side of it below. Basically it's spring loaded and the top flap keeps the bottom flap tucked in. When you push the round button on the side where the round hinge is it unlocks the top flap which in turn releases the bottom flap. This has already been done on flip-phones from Panasonic though my concept is trifold vs the clamshells. BTW the red section below is just the background, it's not part of the phone.

If you make the cut between the sections diagonal it has to be folded up in a particular order. This will complicate things when people want to put the phone away in a hurry.

There's not really a reason to design it like that..

Peace.

If you make the cut between the sections diagonal it has to be folded up in a particular order. This will complicate things when people want to put the phone away in a hurry.

There's not really a reason to design it like that..

Peace.

That's the compromise that people have to make if they want something that looks cool and also have a usable controller built-in, unless you can come up with a better design which I doubt you can. If you think you can let's see it. ;)

What you would want is something akin to the nokia E70, which I personally believe is one of the smartest designs out there (I use it's predecessor, the 6820)

e70.jpg

And why would you want something like that? It's a totally difference concept from mine. Mine is MUCH more streamlined and it has many benefits. For example:

1. My concept is better looking when closed.
2. My concept gives the screen protection when closed.
3. My concept can be opened with a button using one hand.
4. My concept doesn't look fugly and could be tweaked even further.
5. My concept uses a touchscreen for dialing.
6. My concept is more compact when folded.

Now tell me why that Nokia is better in concept then mine.

And why would you want something like that? It's a totally difference concept from mine. Mine is MUCH more streamlined and it has many benefits. For example:

Forgot your pills this morning?

Yeah it's a touchscreen like a lot of the new phones coming out recently so you dial by using a onscreen keypad instead of actual physical buttons.

Ah. Personally I don't care for touchscreens used like this. The problem for me is the lack of distinct physical buttons means I'll have to be quite accurate with my thumb presses - the chance for error shoots way up.

Anyway I made that in like 10 minutes so it's going to have some dimensional inconsistencies, but to be more clear the two flaps will overlap at the edges. You can see the side of it below. Basically it's spring loaded and the top flap keeps the bottom flap tucked in. When you push the round button on the side where the round hinge is it unlocks the top flap which in turn releases the bottom flap. This has already been done on flip-phones from Panasonic though my concept is trifold vs the clamshells. BTW the red section below is just the background, it's not part of the phone.

No worries on the dimensions, it's probably close enough for a silly discussion like this. :)

The overlapping flap makes some sense but will a slight pain to close. Currently I close my clamshell by folding it against my side (i.e. using one hand). This might make it more complicated. I do like the spring loaded action (and not just because I suggested it as well).

The benefit of a bi-fold is you can close it with on hand, however, if you use your lap/hip to close a bi-fold then you shouldn't have any problems closing a tri-fold the same way. It takes a little more effort but after awhile you get used to it and may even be able to close it in one hand depending on how big your hand is. Also the spring mechanism in my concept is the slow type not the mousetrap type so it's easier to close. It's like those doors on casette decks that slowly open.

That's the compromise that people have to make if they want something that looks cool and also have a usable controller built-in
Like I said the diagonal cross-section between the two flaps needlessly complicates operation of your proposed design. There's no point in doing it that way nor does it bring any benefits. It just makes it harder to get it closed properly (ie: there is now a wrong way to close it. which obviously is sub-optimal).

A straight cross-section lets you close the flaps in any order.

unless you can come up with a better design which I doubt you can.
Oh you seem awfully sure of yourself.

Well you know what they say about pride.. :cool:

You may want to note I ddint criticize your design. Merely your implementation of it.

Peace.

Like I said the diagonal cross-section between the two flaps needlessly complicates operation of your proposed design. There's no point in doing it that way nor does it bring any benefits. It just makes it harder to get it closed properly (ie: there is now a wrong way to close it. which obviously is sub-optimal).

A straight cross-section lets you close the flaps in any order.

Oh you seem awfully sure of yourself.

Well you know what they say about pride.. :cool:

You may want to note I ddint criticize your design. Merely your implementation of it.

Peace.

So how do you open up the phone with one hand if you use a straight edge instead of a diagonal one?:LOL:

Do you see the logic yet? People are more concerned about opening a phone quickly because *gasp* they need to answer a call. People don't need to close a phone quickly...unless they're tryng to hang up on somebody. I don't mind criticism as long as it makes sense and mechanically logical. Yours is neither.

Last edited by a moderator:

Um.. Ok.

Sorry, I thought what was desired was a useful way to expose three surfaces when 'open', without having two flaps..
Sorry if I touched a nerve... yikes

Um.. Ok.

Sorry, I thought what was desired was a useful way to expose three surfaces when 'open', without having two flaps..
Sorry if I touched a nerve... yikes

You didn't answer the question. Why would anyone go with that crappy Nokia design vs a sleaker more compact one not just mine? It makes ZERO sense. Anybody can come up with a stupid looking flip/flop transformer phonebot/decepticon design, that's not what a consumer wants. :LOL:

Suppose Nokia came up with the same concept as mine. Why would anybody then choose that other Nokia design?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the compromise that people have to make if they want something that looks cool and also have a usable controller built-in
Why?

1. Your concept is three black rectangles with a few lines and circles. It neither looks good nor is it ergonomic nor an actual product.
2. True.
3. There is no point at all in opening the E70 when you don't want to use both hands, so there's no advantage in opening it with one hand. You don't have to open the E70 to make a phone call, unlike your concept, so that's actually a disadvantage of your concept.
4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you can tweak any design.
5. Which means you get a bigger screen for less ergonomic typing. That's called a tradeoff.
6. That remains to be proven by an actual product.

Suppose Nokia came up with the same concept as mine. Why would anybody then choose that other Nokia design?
Did it occur to you that someone might actually like that design?

Back