Warhawk - Single player dropped

Looks excellent! I sure hope people support this, because I'll definately will once I get my PS3. Looks like its so much fun, and they really have polished the graphics as well!

Now as a single-player game, if you have different levels where you have fly to get to some ground portion, that makes sense. But in an online-only context, it's confusing.
It's no different to StarWars BattleFronts 2 in principal. You can fly space combat, and then land on a capital ship and running around in 3rd person shooting. For me, the problem is 32 players over huge maps! You'll never meet anyone, especially if half are on the ground. And what about the huge AI battles with skies filled with combatants? That was one of the game's big appeals - it was a proper war in the skies that you feel a part of.

It's no different to StarWars BattleFronts 2 in principal. You can fly space combat, and then land on a capital ship and running around in 3rd person shooting. For me, the problem is 32 players over huge maps! You'll never meet anyone, especially if half are on the ground. And what about the huge AI battles with skies filled with combatants? That was one of the game's big appeals - it was a proper war in the skies that you feel a part of.
same type of thing as the BF games. the maps are also HUGE. as long as theres enough land vehicles, and even more importantly, enough people playing, it should be fine.

A couple of snippets from that IGN movie...

Personal servers with a server edition of the game - you can run a PS3 in server mode (so you need an extra one??) to host games. 32 players is a limit because of limits in the user servers network. Most people won't have enough BW to host larger games.

They got great feedback on the online part, but the single player wasn't good enough. They decided to drop the single player and focus on the multiplayer to refine it.

For me, the problem is 32 players over huge maps! You'll never meet anyone, especially if half are on the ground.

Yeah, thats the only thing I could see being a problem. The maps a really huge compared to other games. The fast land/air vehicles could balance it out depending how many are placed around the map (like djskribbles mentioned) , so we will have to see how that goes. Maybe they have different map sizes according to the players playing like resistance/bf2/pdz, etc.

I don't thing it should be that much of a problem though, theres 1 resistance map that I find insanely huge and hard to find people even with 40 people playing at once, but if it had vehicles on that specific map it would be much easier imo.

Anyways It does look very fun though as Sankari said. Theres a lot of potential imo.

We should be hearing more about this when NDA's go down next week (GDC). There was a lot of journalists at the play testing, but it seems IGN had the early exclusive.

A lot of us hate the lack of SP, but let's be real. As much as they tried to soften the blow, the dev in that IGN vid pretty much summed it up as the SP was gonna suck, so we scrapped it. If going MP only makes the difference between a good, castrated game and a horrible, full game, then give me the former. There's always hope for the future, but at least what they showed looked like it could work. It's not like they made this switch and then showed us Gundam or something. ;) PEACE.

Wow just saw the video. It looks better than ever. The ground combat looks much much better than what it was last year at TGS. The new skins for the war hawk planes look great too.

I'm really looking forward to this now.

Just look at the sky, full volumetric clouds.
That's the first game that does that as long as I remember.

44015_warhawk_sky_122_40lo.jpg

How did they do that? Can anyone explain please?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll remove it.
warhawk-sky.jpg

Seriously, I would like to know how much it'd tax the system to do full volumetric clouds.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll remove it.
warhawk-sky.jpg

Seriously, I would like to know how much it'd tax the system to do full volumetric clouds.

does anyone remember the last level on Warhawk, when there was lots of action and it was chaos lighting going on, but when you flew the Warhawk high above the clouds it was peaceful and beautiful, then you would have to fly back down again........

now I'm going off of memory that happened 10 years ago so if I'm wrong someone correct me......I might be over exaggerating this a bit, but thats how I remember it.....and I can not believe I experienced all this on the PSone from a first gen title.....

to say the least, I am feel very sad that there is no singleplayer......I wouldn't of mind if they just redid the whole story again (same levels) from the first one with updated graphics......

Wasn't the original Warhawk on rails though? You had to go through most of the level propelled forward. Then when you got to the boss, the background stopped moving so you could move around the boss.

I'm pretty sure only two or three of the clouds in that pic (the whitish ones) are volumetric. The rest is just a background environment map. Like this except done by a better artist.

I'm pretty sure only two or three of the clouds in that pic (the whitish ones) are volumetric. The rest is just a background environment map. Like this except done by a better artist.

That picture link doesn't work.

Whats the difference with "volumetric" clouds and normal clouds anyway? I never saw why people were so amazed with that in this game and I don't really see anything different between it and the old clouds.

does anyone remember the last level on Warhawk, when there was lots of action and it was chaos lighting going on, but when you flew the Warhawk high above the clouds it was peaceful and beautiful, then you would have to fly back down again........

now I'm going off of memory that happened 10 years ago so if I'm wrong someone correct me......I might be over exaggerating this a bit, but thats how I remember it.....and I can not believe I experienced all this on the PSone from a first gen title.....

to say the least, I am feel very sad that there is no singleplayer......I wouldn't of mind if they just redid the whole story again (same levels) from the first one with updated graphics......

I totally remember that level. I thought the first warhawk was a awesome game.

That picture link doesn't work.

Whats the difference with "volumetric" clouds and normal clouds anyway? I never saw why people were so amazed with that in this game and I don't really see anything different between it and the old clouds.

the last Janes combat flight game on the PC years ago had volumetric clouds from what I remember.

Wasn't the original Warhawk on rails though? You had to go through most of the level propelled forward. Then when you got to the boss, the background stopped moving so you could move around the boss.

Nope, you could fly anywhere in a level you wanted to. That was a fantastic game at the time. Probably was my favorite PS1 game by far, maybe even more fun than Wipeout. Just hard as hell. :)

Back