PS2/PS3 backward compatibility

With firmware 4.40, they added stereo headset compatibility with PS2 classics.

Was told Sony also filed a patent on PSN Trophy award based on file system/disc access. It looks like they are trying to modernize PS2 Classics gaming experience without recompiling them.

speaking of playing old games

Accessories maker Hyperkin is unveiling RetroN, a retro console that will play almost any cartridge you can throw at it. The current version is the RetroN 3, which plays NES, SNES, and Genesis games. But Hyperkin is taking the RetroN to the next level (actually two more levels) with a brand-new product called the RetroN 5. In addition to NES, SNES, and Genesis, the RetroN 5 will play cartridges from Famicom (the Japanese version of NES) and Game Boy Advance. The GBA slot is compatible with Game Boy Color and the original Game Boy, so the RetroN 5 can actually play games from seven systems.

speaking of playing old games

Accessories maker Hyperkin is unveiling RetroN, a retro console that will play almost any cartridge you can throw at it. The current version is the RetroN 3, which plays NES, SNES, and Genesis games. But Hyperkin is taking the RetroN to the next level (actually two more levels) with a brand-new product called the RetroN 5. In addition to NES, SNES, and Genesis, the RetroN 5 will play cartridges from Famicom (the Japanese version of NES) and Game Boy Advance. The GBA slot is compatible with Game Boy Color and the original Game Boy, so the RetroN 5 can actually play games from seven systems.

This really belongs in a different thread.

Emulation machines are nothing remotely new, and a NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA combo is far from cutting edge (a PSP can do it, never mind a much better ARM SoC). They get points for building in Retrode-like cartridge capability (maybe they're even using Retrode's published schematics to accomplish it), that helps legitimize the console to some who feel that ROM image only machines are only used with piracy, but technically speaking it's not a huge accomplishment.

This could be a nice addition for a console that can also play new games but by itself it's pretty meh.

I'm sure PS4 will launch with a bunch of PS1 and PS2 titles on the PSN store, complete with support for video sharing and the like.

I rather doubt Sony will make PS4 able to play the old discs, though. It's even been rumored that Sony has left the 780nm red laser needed for reading compact discs off of the BD drive in PS4 to save costs.

My suspicion is that patent would be used to Award trophies for watching dvds or Blu-rays.

They don't need to rely on disk/filesystem access to grant trophies if it's regular movie viewing. The movie apps can be patched easily to add trophies. :-/

hope PS4 has backward compatibility for PS2......

Aw, we need to be more greedy. Can a mid-tier PC emulate PS2 today ? If so, PS4 should be able to do it.

taucias said:
What replaced it then?
A custom processor, I don't think it was ever publicly revealed, but speculations put it as PPC based. When that particular revision happened, compatibility was impacted for < ~30 PS1&PS2 titles.

Exophase said:
Guessing one SPE each is a reasonable fit for VU1 and VU0 when in micro mode, and perhaps a third for the SPU. R5900 and IOP emulated on the PPE in separate threads, and pray that the code is marginally cache friendly and not branch crazy.
Well all that work already happened for Euro-launch of PS3 (when EE was first removed). IIRC the one real issue with EE emulation wasn't memory-subsystem related, but FP emulation - accurate mode can really kill performance, but most games (on any console) don't rely on FP being that accurate to work anyway, so that's where emulation profiles come in.

Possibly throw in some HLE of common library versions if such a thing even really existed.
It didn't - the only thing you can arguably 'HLE' are hardware-blocks where the programmability is low enough. Eg. SPU2, IPU, maybe DMA&VIFs...

Looks like some games do run poorly or don't run at all but so far the compatibility rate for unofficial titles alone is impressive
And some of the titles with issues hint at FP issues I mention above too, so they are likely addressable through custom-profiles, should they ever get licensed for PSN.

They don't need to rely on disk/filesystem access to grant trophies if it's regular movie viewing. The movie apps can be patched easily to add trophies. :-/

Only if they have some patented technology they can use to recognize the discs and when they've been watched!

Well... for BR viewing, Sony will own the BR player software. They can tell what movie the dude is watching, just like they can tell what games/movies I have in my PS3.

If it's streaming, then yeah, they need some way to identify what Netflix or Hulu Plus is playing. I was assuming Sony have these guys' blessing to award trophy. Why not ? It promotes their usage and trophy integration is simple.

That patent is more for a complex, interactive session like a game. They need to award the trophy only when certain obscure conditions are met.

Well... for BR viewing, Sony will own the BR player software. They can tell what movie the dude is watching, just like they can tell what games/movies I have in my PS3.

If it's streaming, then yeah, they need some way to identify what Netflix or Hulu Plus is playing. I was assuming Sony have these guys' blessing to award trophy. Why not ? It promotes their usage and trophy integration is simple.

That patent is more for a complex, interactive session like a game. They need to award the trophy only when certain obscure conditions are met.

But how does the playback software recognize the movie disk? Blu-rays and DVDs don't have software hooks for trophies or even identification. I think the patent most just refers to a method by which disks can be identified using something like a structural watermark. And the access part can be used to tell if you've, say, listened to a commentary, or watched certain special features. Basically, I just think it's wishful thinking to believe they're going to use this to hack together full trophy lists for old games.

I believe the BR discs are identifiable. e.g., in the Managed Copy manifest. Player software or PS4 launcher can award trophy based on this.

I don't think they need full trophy list for old games. Perhaps completion (e.g., chapters, entire game) will do.

Back