EA resurrecting the Wing Commander franchise?

Along with Wing Commander. I want another Privateer. And another Freespace.

Privateer, now we're talking.

I've played every Wing Commander in the main series, as well as Wing Commander Armada - awesome game in two-player mode. Privateer 1 and 2 were incredible games in their own right as well.

Privateer 1 and 2 were incredible games in their own right as well.
Privateer 2? Incredible in it's own right? Mind you, it wasn't terrible as far as FMV space opera shooters go, but incredible it was not (IMO). Nor was it really anything like Privateer. More like Wing Commander IV.5 with a different cast, more bugs, and (weaker) story. For me, The Darkening was one of the weaker incarnations of the genre.

Same here. That's why I'm weary of the "Arena" part. I want a big epic storyline, all those bar chat cutscenes (I think they could move from video to CG or even realtime cutscenes this time around), cheesy romance, and a great campaign. Prophecy was not bad, but there was not enough "filler" video compared to WC3 and WC4.

3 was already realtime, 4 and prophecy were a mix of realtime and CG.

Yeah... actually it does look pretty bad. What's the Meg'age on this download, under 64? At least it's obvius the Coalition and the Kilrathi will be in play from the isignia, but those ship models actually look worse than 10 years ago. Who's designing those capital ships? Those long slender guns jutting out the sides are ridiculous.

Back to discussing history though, does anyone ever recall the massive inconsistencies that were the described capital ship lengths from the "Jane's" manuals? Where in a fighter going supposedly 100's of km's per second, it still took some time to fly their lengths, where those lengths where like 2 miles? Those wacky devs!

Yikes!

Just saw the screenshots! They are not resurrecting the Wing Commander franchise. They are cruelly hammering the last nail in it's coffin.

Arena looks quite a bit better in motion -- check out the HD video clips here if you're a Gamespot subscriber or these gameplay clips at the CIC. There are also some 1080p images here.

As a declining/dormant/dead (depending on one's perspective) niche (i.e. space sims) within a struggling format (PC) relative to the burgeoning console and handheld environment, I can appreciate EA tentatively bringing back the Wing Commander franschise on the XBOX360 as a Live Arcade title to guage interest in the brand and attract new gamers to the series.

The hope is that Arena will be successful enough, while staying close to the spirit of Wing Commander, to spur on development of a fully-fledged Wing Commander sequel for the PC from a first-rate developer.

The hope is that Arena will be successful enough, while staying close to the spirit of Wing Commander, to spur on development of a fully-fledged Wing Commander sequel for the PC from a first-rate developer.
Judging from those gameplay videos, Arena seems more like the bastard child of Asteroids anx Xenon on crack than any previous Wing Commander game. Consequently, I doubt the potential success of Arena would spur any 'proper' fully-fledged Wing Commander sequel.

I wouldn't mind having one, though. All recent attempts at the genre have , IMNSHO, had a too steep learning curve and been too buggy at release to be able to draw new players. I'd like to see an PC/360 effort with a tighter story and less emphasis on the freeform/living galaxy gameplay (ala. Freespace, Tachyon (gotta' love Bruce Campbell) or Alliance) to draw in the crowds. 'Cause, really: Who doesn't like a a quality 1st person space shooter?

After watching the videos, I find myself underwhelmed. Everyone seems to be on the same 2D plane with no Z-axis. So, right off, this is no Wing Commander -- more like Asteroids or Gradius. They probably could have just offered WC1 and 2 as downloads on XBL. Argh, now I'm just making myself angry...

After watching the videos, I find myself underwhelmed. Everyone seems to be on the same 2D plane with no Z-axis.
According to the Gamespot preview the action takes place on a 2D plane, if I understand this part of the preview correctly.

You move your ship with the two analog sticks; the left stick controls your thruster, and the right stick, your steering. Your ship seems basically stuck on a single plane in the game, so you won't be able to approach an enemy from above or below.

I got really excited about hearing about this. I remember buying Wing Commander when it first came out. Then the world of computer gaming completely changed when I finally got my Sound Blaster 2.0. Best. Series. Ever.

Anyway, I'll probably be buying this even though it's not a proper WC game. Kinda disappointed with lack of cockpit view. Wanted to see my hand move on the screen. ;) Hopefully it gets enough sales so that EA will bring more WC our way.

BTW, keep your eye here for anything and everything on this new game:

Wing Commander: Combat Information Center
http://www.wcnews.com/

Been there since 1995. Excellent site.

Tommy McClain

BTW: For those pining fore some PC/Mac 'classic' Wing Commander action, do check out the Prologue release (the first couple of missions and a handful of simulator missions) of WC Saga, a fan-made Wing Commander game running on the FS2 Open engine. It's pretty good, actually.

Judging from those gameplay videos, Arena seems more like the bastard child of Asteroids anx Xenon on crack than any previous Wing Commander game.

That's what I'm thinking here... rather than the chance at a Wing COmmander revival, it's EA whoring out the classic name for the purposes of making some coin on an otherwise mediocre game; the damage done to the name? Well, I guess EA had more or less written it off to begin with, so no loss in their minds.

Truly it's a tragedy of sorts.

There's been a steady stream of news over the past few months and a recent flurry after EA's "Summer Preview 2007" last week at which Arena was previewed along with other EA games. The current target launch timeframe on XBLA is late June. For links to all the previews, screenshots and videos, check out the CIC's Arena section for an exhaustive list.

The latest EA video's, showing some of the new camera views and game modes look quite slick, especially with the WC3/4 music pumping. :smile:

Back