Miracle baby to be discharged soon

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/miracle-baby-to-be-discharged-soon/34135-2.html

miracle_baby_248.jpg

New Delhi: Amillia Sonja Taylor, the most pre-mature baby on record to survive, will be released from a Florida hospital after spending four months in a neo-natal intensive care unit.

Amellia was born only 21 weeks and six days after conception. She weighed just 283 grams and measured 9.5 inches in length — just a little longer than a ballpoint pen — when she was born last October.

Although the baby sufferred from respiratory problems and had a mild brain haemorrhage, she has grown to 26 inches long and now weighs two kilograms.

Suffering a "mild" brain hemorrhage isn't really miracle-worthy in my book.

Very premature babies are highly susceptible to respiratory problems ear and vision problems digestive problems lower intellectual capacity (if not outright intellectually impaired) and a lot of other issues from what I've read.

Nothing really miraculous about that. This is just more of the same ordinary sappy sensationalism you're likely to see in the press. Sort of like the "miracle passenger" who survived a plane wreck where 150+ other people got smushed.

Yeah, miracle indeed.

Peace.

She's just a statistical oddity. Doctors will tell you that even with all the medical technology at our disposal, nearly every baby born this young will have brain damage and crippled lungs and most will die or have a very short and poor quality life because of it.. The fact that with the aid of huge amount of medical attention, this particular one in a million manages to make it without too much apparent damage doesn't really change the fact that all the rest of them die.

Suffering a "mild" brain hemorrhage isn't really miracle-worthy in my book.

Very premature babies are highly susceptible to respiratory problems ear and vision problems digestive problems lower intellectual capacity (if not outright intellectually impaired) and a lot of other issues from what I've read.

Nothing really miraculous about that. This is just more of the same ordinary sappy sensationalism you're likely to see in the press. Sort of like the "miracle passenger" who survived a plane wreck where 150+ other people got smushed.

Yeah, miracle indeed.

Peace.
And if she was yours, yes indeed, she would be a miracle.

Some just use the word 'miracle' to explain rare but fortunate events. This applies to this event, certainly, but I personally rather dislike the supernatural connotations that come along with the term.

If a 22 week old fetus can survive outside the womb, should any elective abortions still be carried out after this many weeks?

If a 22 week old fetus can survive outside the womb, should any elective abortions still be carried out after this many weeks?

They can't survive outside the womb. They all need massive medical intervention, they mostly die, and they nearly all have brain, lung, hearing and sight damage. This one child is a statistical extreme, and they don't really know if she'll have any problems later on.

Let me ask you a question. If it's possible to have a hugely premature baby survive, should scientists be allowed to try and bring babies to term in artificial wombs? If you think it's okay to take a "would die without medical intervention" premature baby and hook them up to loads of tubes and machines to make them survive, why not allow scientists to make babies by mixing sperm and eggs and hooking them up to tubes and machines from day one? It's a good way of making babies for childless couples, right?

I don't see how on the one hand you can say you don't want scientists "playing god" with things like stem cell research, abortions or genetic screening, yet hold up this baby as a reason for that view, when she's only alive because of huge medical and scientific intervention and would never, ever have been able to survive without it.

They can't survive outside the womb.
Huh? May be most will unfortunately die, but this one did survive.
They all need massive medical intervention, they mostly die, and they nearly all have brain, lung, hearing and sight damage. This one child is a statistical extreme, and they don't really know if she'll have any problems later on.
Your very likely correct.
Let me ask you a question. If it's possible to have a hugely premature baby survive, should scientists be allowed to try and bring babies to term in artificial wombs?
I don't see why not. We arent killing anyone to put the baby in the artificial womb, right?
If you think it's okay to take a "would die without medical intervention" premature baby and hook them up to loads of tubes and machines to make them survive, why not allow scientists to make babies by mixing sperm and eggs and hooking them up to tubes and machines from day one?
Ive never been against it.
It's a good way of making babies for childless couples, right?
Yep.
I don't see how on the one hand you can say you don't want scientists "playing god" with things like stem cell research,
Lets stop right here for a second, I am not against stem cell research.
abortions
Yes, I am against abortions with a few exceptions.
or genetic screening
Im not against genetic screening either.
, yet hold up this baby as a reason for that view, when she's only alive because of huge medical and scientific intervention and would never, ever have been able to survive without it.
Errr...... Im not against medicine, doctors, medical equipment, scientific intervention, etc.

epic

The parents should be sued, because of them not aborting the baby the poor child will grow up severely disabled. This is cruelty against children.
I would be more than happy to eat my words should I be wrong.

The parents should be sued, because of them not aborting the baby the poor child will grow up severely disabled. This is cruelty against children.
I would be more than happy to eat my words should I be wrong.

I have yet to meet someone who's not severely disabled: most people call their own disabilities "normality" though.

How long can you wait for abortion? In Sweden, this would be 4 weeks late.
There is no limitation in the US, but most happen before 12 weeks.

18 weeks sounds a little early to me, though, as some forms of genetic screening can't be done until 20 weeks.

An achivement of science and chance, not a miracle...

Science only made it possible, not probable. The odds were/are low enough that surmounting them could still be considered miraculous. I know semantics, but spoken form the mouth of a father who's own 'miracle' was born at a whopping 1200g. Seen here......

meaidan8mi.jpg

Science only made it possible, not probable. The odds were/are low enough that surmounting them could still be considered miraculous. I know semantics, but spoken form the mouth of a father who's own 'miracle' was born at a whopping 1200g. Seen here......

meaidan8mi.jpg

So what you are saying is that without the science behind no "miracle"? ;)

Back