3DO Blaster: did you remember it?

3doblaster2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3do_blaster

Did you remeber it? It was a real 3DO console hw porting for PC desktop. The dream of all emulators that cannot compare to a real hardware on a real bus. ;)

It could run on a 386! If I remember correctly another company was releasing another porting of an home console.. Was it Sega with Genesis?

Bye

I remember it. I worked for Creative Labs during the time it came out. Man was it so cool to be one of the first ones to be able to play with it. Bad thing was it required the non-IDE 2x Panasonic drive that was popular on the first few SB16 cards. I personally preferred the Panasonic controller too.

Tommy McClain

I remember it. I worked for Creative Labs during the time it came out. Man was it so cool to be one of the first ones to be able to play with it. Bad thing was it required the non-IDE 2x Panasonic drive that was popular on the first few SB16 cards. I personally preferred the Panasonic controller too.

Tommy McClain

Cool experience working at Creative, didn't it?

Related, there was a 3DO devkit sold on eBay late last year. I always wanted the console itself and would grab one if one made itself known to me, but it was very much out of my price range at the time.

EDIT: It appears it's quite easy to get hold of them on eBay. I forsee an old console purchase in my future :runaway:

Cool experience working at Creative, didn't it?

Yeah, it was an amazing experience. Got to see a lot of cool technology come out and grow up. Was there for the Windows 95 release, got to play with OS/2, Windows NT, the first consumer 3D accelerator(3D Blaster VLB), SB16/AWE32/AWE64, introduction of DVD, the explosion of the web/Internet. A lot of things happened during my tenure(93-97). Wouldn't have traded it for the world.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, it was an amazing experience. Got to see a lot of cool technology come out and grow up. Was there for the Windows 95 release, got to play with OS/2, Windows NT, the first consumer 3D accelerator(3D Blaster VLB), SB16/AWE32/AWE64, introduction of DVD, the explosion of the web/Internet. A lot of things happened during my tenure(93-97). Wouldn't have traded it for the world.

Tommy McClain
I'm sure about it... I hope you're working now in a better or egual company. ;)

3doblaster2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3do_blaster

Did you remeber it? It was a real 3DO console hw porting for PC desktop. The dream of all emulators that cannot compare to a real hardware on a real bus. ;)

It could run on a 386! If I remember correctly another company was releasing another porting of an home console.. Was it Sega with Genesis?

Bye
man, i wanted one of these more than anything back in the day. i eventualy got a 3DO set-top (goldstar) well after it's prime. i traded an N64 for the system and about 15 games. then i found a stash of controllers not long after at EB for a penny each, so i have 6 or 7 controllers as well.

overall, i liked the 3DO, but it was mostly PC ports that i enjoyed.

Tommy,

I followed Dimension3D for years. I most remember the Voodoo/Verite days in the forum. Consoles vs. the PC components (history repeats every 5 years!) You had all those little sub-sites for each company's graphics chips, too.

I never knew you worked at Creative. During those years, that must have been as great as you say. I don't think things could've changed any more than they did in those days. Start the decade off with a 386, maybe VGA, 100 MB HDD, and most likely just a PC speaker. End with a Pentium III / Athlon 1 GHz, GeForce 256, 75 GB HDD, and a Vortex 2/Live!. And how many different companies had their "3 months in the limelight" in there? Heh.

It would be great to add a VLB 3D Blaster to my archive drawer here at home. I've only read about those. And, although all I've heard is that they were horrid, I still am eternally fascinated by them. Crazy me. It is basically impossible to find one.

Tommy,

I followed Dimension3D for years. I most remember the Voodoo/Verite days in the forum. Consoles vs. the PC components (history repeats every 5 years!) You had all those little sub-sites for each company's graphics chips, too.

I have far better memories doing that site than working at Creative, but I wouldn't have traded either of them either. ;) The forums were great and I loved the conversations there. These forums are the same way if not better and the only ones I can say I'm proud to call home. I'm glad so many of my visitors come here now.

I never knew you worked at Creative. During those years, that must have been as great as you say.

I had to keep that low profile at the time. My supervisors at Creative were very worried people would find out and there would be a backlash. They considered it a conflict of interest and pretty much told me that I was not going to be moving up the corporate ladder by continuing the site. I wasn't real happy about that. That's why I jumped at the chance to work for Jon Peddie. It was great move all around.

I don't think things could've changed any more than they did in those days. Start the decade off with a 386, maybe VGA, 100 MB HDD, and most likely just a PC speaker. End with a Pentium III / Athlon 1 GHz, GeForce 256, 75 GB HDD, and a Vortex 2/Live!. And how many different companies had their "3 months in the limelight" in there? Heh.

Yeah, what a jump in tech. There was so many 3D companies throwing their hat in the ring. I think at one time there were over 100 different companies planning 3D tech. It was insane.

It would be great to add a VLB 3D Blaster to my archive drawer here at home. I've only read about those. And, although all I've heard is that they were horrid, I still am eternally fascinated by them. Crazy me. It is basically impossible to find one.

I would love to have one as well. It's one of a few that I never owned myself. Though I did play a lot with one working for Creative. I still have my stash of 3D cards. They're all in storage and I've always kicked around the idea of selling them off on eBay. If you or anybody else in me doing so, then send me a PM. I've contemplated selling them in lots or individually. Not sure how I would do it, but if anybody has their opinions then let me know. I just need to do a inventory. If you're looking for something specific let me know, I might just have it.

Tommy McClain

I remember reading about it in PC gamer back in late 94 early 95, back then the 3d0 seemed like it was gonna be a great system. They made so many right decisions. Too bad nobody could afford it. I was in college at the time. $700 back then.... might as well have been $7 million. Thinking about the old mags.....Maybe it's just nostalgia but it seems the PC gaming scene was a lot more exciting through 90's. More varied selection and new genres springing up every year. Now it seems everyone just waits for the yearly release of their mmorpg expansion... rant over

Anyone remember the Pioneer Laserdisc player with the genesis built-in ?

edit. I found it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive Im not crazy.

3D0 never had a chance because why would you buy one when a year later $400 Saturn and $300 PS1 where coming out? With specs and games that owned 3D0 in every respect? And people dont live in a vacuum, even in the magazine age people knew those systems were on the way.

3d0 was a good example of being too early in a given generation...without good support (and even with good support) it's a death knell.

It's funny because, rarely have I seen a guy more consistently wrong in the video game industry than Tripp Hawkins, yet he rose to a good deal of..fame.

Anyway, aren't most systems emulated reasonably well now anyway?

The "3DO" name is supposed to be the 3D version of "Video", btw. :) I read that in an ancient interview somewhere.

Freedo is the only emulator I know of, and it's not really perfected. Quite a few games do work though. Just not the only one I want to play lol (Crash'n'Burn).

As for why it failed: I think it was pricing. $700 was WAY WAY too much back then. It is still today. Even MS or Sony would fail to sell at that price, and they have massive marketing power and mind share. Hawkins wanted to sell his IP to the consumer electronics companies. Those companies, however, were obviously not going to accept not making a profit on their hardware, because they saw no other profits at all. This is totally unlike any other successful game company has done. It was a unique strategy, but it required the hardware to be sold at a very high price.

3DO eventually institutued a sort of "game tax" (whatever you want to call it), where a % of game revenue would go to the hardware manufacturers to get console hardware prices lower. It wasn't enough to help though. The damage was done. Bad first impression. 3DO became an expensive oddity in the eyes of gamers, and so they stuck with the cheap SNES and Genesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
3d0 was a good example of being too early in a given generation...without good support (and even with good support) it's a death knell.

It's funny because, rarely have I seen a guy more consistently wrong in the video game industry than Tripp Hawkins, yet he rose to a good deal of..fame.
the only thing "wrong" with the 3DO system was the price. it outperformed everything else available at the time of it's release, and really didn't look all that bad compared to PSX and (especialy) Saturn launch titles. well, that and it recieved quite a few ports from lesser CD systems, so many of it's games were FMV titles.

the only thing "wrong" with the 3DO system was the price. it outperformed everything else available at the time of it's release, and really didn't look all that bad compared to PSX and (especialy) Saturn launch titles. well, that and it recieved quite a few ports from lesser CD systems, so many of it's games were FMV titles.

I remember it having the number 1 version of Gex.

Poor Gex, he would later go on to degrade himself in Geico commercials...

yeah I remember the 3DO Blaster.

I got a tougher one for you; do you remember the proposed 3DO M2-based graphics card by Cirrus Logic ?

I don't remember.. any hint or link or supposed news? ;)

http://gamezero.com/team-0/whats_new/past/news9603.html
3DO and Cirrus Logic Team-up
At 2pm, Tuesday (3/26), 3DO announced a new partnership with Cirrus Logic (makers of PC video cards). This agreement will license the 3-D portion of 3DO's M2 technology for Cirrus Logic to integrate into a new PC graphics 3-D accelerator. This new hardware will be optimized to work along with Microsoft's recently announced Direct3D standard under the Windows 95 API. This new 64-bit 3-D engine will be capable of processing more than one-half million polygons per second at peak, supporting complex photo realistic 3-D worlds. In addition, the rendering engine generates more than 100 million pixels per second, giving users more than 640 x 480 resolution and greater graphics detail, bringing the arcade experience to the PC. The potential goal of this is to establish a new video processor standard, which Cirrus Logic in turn hopes to convince other video hardware manufactures to adopt. This could be a good shot in the arm for 3DO since this hardware will allow programmers the ability to port M2 titles to the PC platform with greater ease

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.3do/msg/3eb681a8df484ce9?dmode=source&hl=en
1996/03/26

3DO AND CIRRUS LOGIC TEAM TO DELIVER ADVANCED 3-D TECHNOLOGY AND
ENTERTAINMENT TO PC MARKETPLACE

Technology Accord Raises Bar for 3-D Realism on PCs

FREMONT and REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- March 26, 1996 - Cirrus Logic Inc. and The 3DO Company today announced an agreement to develop 3-D graphics and video technology that will enable
the PC to deliver arcade-class performance, raising the bar for entertainment on the PC. The technology accord will combine 3DO's cutting-edge M2 3-D technology and software expertise with Cirrus Logic's world leadership in video graphics controllers to give millions of PC users the ability to experience the most advanced 3-D realism on their desktops.

Under the agreement, Cirrus Logic will license the 3-D portion of 3DO's M2 technology, which has already been validated in silicon. The companies will collaborate to integrate the M2 3-D engine with Cirrus Logic's video graphics controller technology and other PC technologies to develop next-generation 3-D accelerators. These high-performance graphics chips will be optimized for accelerating 3-D games written for Microsoft's recently announced Direct3D standard, the new Windows 95 API for 3-D applications. Cirrus Logic will manufacture, market and sell the accelerators, and will work with software providers to create content for this new level of 3-D performance.

"Cirrus Logic's partnership with 3DO adds an important technology and a new level of performance to our aggressive 3-D product roadmap," said Douglas J. Bartek, president of Cirrus Logic's Visual and Systems Interface Company. "The combination of our technologies provides a unique synergy that will enable us to deliver unsurpassed 3-D reality to the power gamer."

"Today's announcement marks our first major move into the PC marketplace and underscores our commitment to diversify the business into areas including consumer, software publishing, Internet and DVD," said Hugh Martin, president of The 3DO Company. "Cirrus Logic provides us with a large distribution base, leading-edge manufacturing and strong OEM partners to drive our technology and software into the PC arena."

3DO's 64-bit 3-D set-up engine is capable of processing more than one half million polygons per second peak, supporting complex photo realistic 3-D worlds. In addition, the rendering engine generates more than 100 million pixels per second, giving users more than 640 x 480 resolution and greater graphics detail, bringing the arcade experience to the PC. According to Dr. John Latta, president, 4th Wave, Inc., "This architecture will let software developers create titles that provide a whole new level of realism for the PC platform."

The 3-D graphics market is expected to be one of the fastest growing segments in the computer industry, with entertainment fueling most of the growth. Market research firm John Peddie Associates projects an installed base of up to 27 million 3-D units by the end of 1997 and 56
million 3-D units by 1998.

INDUSTRY SUPPORT FOR THE CIRRUS LOGIC / 3DO TECHNOLOGY AGREEMENT

Eric Engstrom, Direct X program manager, Microsoft Corporation, said, "We expect the partnership between Cirrus Logic and 3DO to provide products that will significantly boost 3-D applications running Microsoft's Direct3D. The combined effort should produce the processing and acceleration capabilities required to support a new class of sophisticated Internet, games, education, and business applications, giving users a quantum leap forward in their computing experience."

According to John Davies, director of Consumer Desktop Platform Marketing at Intel Corp., "The combination of 3-D geometry processing by high-performance Intel microprocessors and 3-D rendering by high-performance graphics accelerators, like those planned by Cirrus Logic, will make the PC the most compelling platform for next-generation 3-D graphics."

Paul Neurath, president of Looking Glass added, "Games designed to take advantage of Microsoft's Direct3D, Cirrus Logic's graphics technology and 3DO's advanced 3-D rendering engine will elevate game playing to a new dimension."

Neal
Director, 3DO Customer & Production Services

http://sec.edgar-online.com/1996/08/14/00/0000891618-96-001835/Section7.asp
In February 1996, the Company licensed the 3-D graphics portion of the M2 Technology to Cirrus Logic, a leader in video graphics controllers, for the
potential development of high-end 3-D graphics chips for the PC market.
Under the terms of the Joint Development and License Agreement (the "Cirrus
Agreement") the Company will develop certain modifications to the "3-D Engine," which is a component of the proprietary semiconductor technology which is part of the M2 Technology. As partial consideration under such agreement, the Company has received a non-refundable sum of $2.5 million as of June 30, 1996. Revenue pertaining to the Cirrus Agreement is recognized using the percentage-of-completion method.

It seems that Cirrus Logic was going after the M2's main chip, the BDA (BullDog ASIC) and not the other chips like the twin PowerPC 602s. looks to me like CL would use the M2's BDA chip as a 3D accelerator in PCs, using the PCs CPU to feed the BDA instead of the PPCs in the full M2 console.

many other hits if one just google's "3DO M2" and "Cirrus Logic".

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that Cirrus Logic was going after the M2's main chip, the BDA (BullDog ASIC) and not the other chips like the twin PowerPC 602s. looks to me like CL would use the M2's BDA chip as a 3D accelerator in PCs, using the PCs CPU to feed the BDA instead of the PPCs in the full M2 console.
Hmmm.. Whoah. I never knew this!

It does bring back some nostalgia. I remember being vaguely impressed by some of the 3DO games at one point.

Trip himself didn't screw everything up though. He did start (or help start up I don't know if he was alone) EA. Or EOA as it was once called.

Those sure were better times.. Or maybe not now that I think about it. :cool:

Peace.

I recently obtained an 3DO M2 SDK. Anyone here donig anything with M2 these days. Probably not, but I thought I'd ask.

I know it's kind of against the rules, but If anyone is still interested, my 3DO Blaster is on eBay.

I won't post the link on here, but you know how to find it.

Due to space and time constraints, I had do downsize my collection a little to only the high end videocards, so the 3DO Blaster is going, unfortunately.

It's a high starting bid, so I appreciate it might not be for everyone.

Back