C++ help

thanks guys, they both look great.:smile:

I have to goto work now, I'll give this a shot tommorow.

I just recieved like 5 big ass books on C++.:oops:

If you're just looking to figure out the basics of C++ and programming that Visual Studio Express that's offered for free would be hard to pass up. I'm assuming something like Visual Studio is what you're wanting and not an actual compiler.

If he downloads GNU Make along with G++, etc... then he doesn't need an IDE.
He says he's still learning, so it might be better for him not to use an IDE until he gets used to using make.

A lot of open source projects I've toyed with require you to compile the code via make.
I've had plenty a problem compiling them, however easily fixed via modifying the make file and using GNU Make to compile and link.

Other than that I guess there is no other visible reason for me.
Anyway don't IDEs use things similar to "GNU Make" whether hard coded into the IDE or otherwise?

Why bother getting used to using make?
I wouldn't bother if I was starting today.

If you're working on Windows then I'd second the recommendation of VC++ 2005 Express Edition.

Why bother getting used to using make?
I wouldn't bother if I was starting today.
I concur, but I'm mostly spoilt by lots of lovely IDE's (Visual Studio for the last 10 years and Eclipse for Java). I do professional software and solutions development and I've yet to require much use of a command-line compiler or build process. Just click the "build" button in the IDE - why make it more complicated?? :cool:

Anyway don't IDEs use things similar to "GNU Make" whether hard coded into the IDE or otherwise?
Yes, you can usually find the finer details hidden away in the configuration pages. If you look into most IDE's in any detail you'll realise that the IDE itself doesn't often do a huge amount of the real work - its main job is to link 10's or 100's of tools and processes together such that it appears as one seamless integrated package.

hth
Jack

Use devcpp, it's rather old now but for your first c++ programs it's a very easy to use IDE

if you insist on using microsoft visual studio, make an empty w32 console project and add a cpp file. Using this method you can directly copy the examples of your book in the cpp file & compile them.

Back