Wii, Xbox360, PS3 = Win, Win, Win!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, last gen showed that the market couldn't support 3 console at least under the circumstances presented by the Xbox as it was unprofitable.

I don't see how it showed that at all, it simply illustrated the cost required to enter the console market as a new player. It's not cheap to create a brand name.

Keep on topic, folks.

We already have more than enough sales and market related threads to satisfy the need for (armchair) analysis and/or to comfort and defend the sad misplaced love and care for some faceless companies' latest products and their market performances.

In other words, keep this thread about the need, or not, to buy all the major consoles available this generation.

Last generation, you pretty much had to have a PS2. And you could get along just fine with nothing but. I did. Borrow a GC or XBox for the occasional Halo or Metroid, but nothing really stacked up to the Sony.

Oh how things have changed......

360 and PS3 having nearly identical librarys, and then going tit-for tat on big hitter esclusives. Do you just miss out on a few amazing games? That's the 500 dollar question.

And Nintendo essentially going non-compete with the Wii. If you have a real gamer lifestyle, it's practically indespensible. Mine collects dust. Unless I need to entertain, that is. It's like whipping out the twister board. Then when everybodys gone, it goes back into paperweight mode. It's truly a different animal than the other two.

Competition is alot healthier this time around. I hope it's for the better.

I don't think the average consumer that made up most of the hundred million sales last gen is going to look at a machine's pros and cons until at least it's around $2-300.

By then big games that nobody's milked for all it's worth before will come out.

That is when a console sells or fails.

I honestly don't see how you can tell much just a few months after the competition for consumers began.

I knew this was going to turn into a versus thread.

I might as well throw my 2 cents out on the pile and predict that Wii sales will drop considerably by the end of this year. I completely expect it will be 3rd overall 5 years from now.

You should stop speaking in absolutes.
Maybe you should take your own advice as 3DO is a synonym for absolute failure. It's not possible even in theory, that one of these three companies will bomb like that.

How "possible even in theory" was it for DQ9 to go to the DS? ;).
Certainly very possible as it is going to happen... I don't see the paraller here anyways.

As for the topic, my feel is that in the long run Both PS3 and X360 is needed for optimum gaming experience as both sides still have exlusives that are must have. Wii is a bit question mark at the moment, but I certainly think it's possible that it's game library will grow to be compelling enough to warrant a purchase from me, but the games will have to be something else than old games with new controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only see xbox360 kinda bombing in Japan. But other than that, it would seem that all 3 platforms are doing very well indeed.

In general, I too subscribe to the 'win, win, win' philosophy. There's a lot of consumers in this market with different tastes and preferences.

I knew this was going to turn into a versus thread.

I might as well throw my 2 cents out on the pile and predict that Wii sales will drop considerably by the end of this year. I completely expect it will be 3rd overall 5 years from now.

Theory is based on what?

of course the original wii will not sell well in 3-5 years time, but within 2 years we WILL see the wiiHD or wii-hi released which will maintain the momentum, i can easily see wii being the leader this time even me (who doesnt play games) is curious about the wii
whats been the biggest game over the last couple of years?
ps2 guitar hero, ppl even spend 2x3 the cost of the game on a plastic guitar just for this one game
its like whats been the biggest tv show of the last couple years ( american idol )
why? it gives the impression that anyone can be a star (similar to guitar hero)

The Wii is the hotest thing on the market right now. But I fear that the novelty will wear out eventually and we'll get GC like sales. The Wii also won't age nearly as well as the PS3 can because it doesn't support hi-definition and clearly the console lacks 3rd party support. Don't expect 3rd parties to come up with ideas using the remote as much as they are familiar with making conventional style games. A wiiHD in the near future doesn't make any sense since it goes against their words stating that "Innovation is important and not graphics". The system parts is already techincally inferior to the 360/PS3. They'll do best to make a brand new system then an add-on component to bring specs up.

The Wii is the hotest thing on the market right now. But I fear that the novelty will wear out eventually and we'll get GC like sales. The Wii also won't age nearly as well as the PS3 can because it doesn't support hi-definition and clearly the console lacks 3rd party support. Don't expect 3rd parties to come up with ideas using the remote as much as they are familiar with making conventional style games. A wiiHD in the near future doesn't make any sense since it goes against their words stating that "Innovation is important and not graphics". The system parts is already techincally inferior to the 360/PS3. They'll do best to make a brand new system then an add-on component to bring specs up.

How is each new owner of the Wii affected by the concept of "loss of novelty" by previous owners? The Wii's novelty may wear itself out over time, but the majority of new owners will have limited experience with the Wii and the experience will still be basically new to them. The "wearing out" effect would show up more in software sales than hardware sales.

The DS's novelty hasn't worn out yet and its visual disadvantage in relation to the PSP didn't inhibit it from reversing the early momentum generated by the PSP.

I believe that you are one of (the many) people I describe in this post...

Readykilowatt said:
Dont you realize that you are wasting your time arguing with some of these people. They have a vested interest in seeing the PS3 succeed, not because they are Sony employees or ******s, but because they invested a lot of money up front to purchase a PS3 and a HDTV to play their favourite games. Due to their massive upfront investment they will spin, mislead and ignore important data and instead rely on "faith" that the outcome of this generation will be the same as the outcome of last generation, because if not, thier initial investment would have all been wasted. They know that if the Wii succeeds the games they put up thousands of dollars to play will jump to a console that doesn't support high definition (like DQIX). This is why if two years from now the Wii is still outselling the PS3, they will say "wait for a price drop".

I was wrong, I should have said, "This is why if two years from now the Wii is still outselling the PS3, they will say "Wii is a fad". :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back