A Summary of the Huge Wii Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps. But nothing in the article suggests as much, so that'd be based on a pure guess than any evidence. All the evidence, what little there is, says we have a fur shader and a tool so that devs can check graphics on PC instead of having to use the Wii to test. Without that tool they could still check their graphics; just not as conveniently. And they also don't have online implemented yet. Dunno why online is such a hot deabte with XB360 and PS3 but totally overlooked on Wii? Overall Nintendo seem well behind the curve.

Though this is going off topic.

Well they might be further along than they are putting on, or Nintendo Ware is taking a long time to put together. Maybe due to last minute changes to the Wii specs.
Anyway, on Hal Labs website it looks like they placed an add for someone to work on the Nintendo Ware for the REVOLUTION:

After the joining for a while you studied and you programmed simply. After that, with development of integrated development tool 'sysdolphinR1' for the game cube, you took charge of the particle library in order to handle Viewer in order to verify the 3DCG data which the designer built up on the game cube and the particle of the production effect which is drawn on the picture. Besides the fact that 'with sysdolphinR2', it continues from R1 and has taken charge of Viewer, Maya (the 3DCG tool) from you take charge of the tool in order it outputs & to convert to the data on the game cube. Presently you have belonged 'to the NintendoWare for Revolution' project of cooperation development with the Nintendo Co. corporation.
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

I think there is a date pointing to 2000.
job_spg_img_prof.gif

But that number could mean something else. Anybody here speak japanese??

I'm guessing there may be some confusion here, perhaps because this is all second hand info either translated from Japanese or from a Japanese guy speaking brocken English. To me it seems a bit pointless to add an implimentation of a single graphical effect to a middleware engine. So perhaps fur shading is only one example from this middleware engine. I don't know but that certainly seems more likely to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps. But nothing in the article suggests as much, so that'd be based on a pure guess than any evidence. All the evidence, what little there is, says we have a fur shader and a tool so that devs can check graphics on PC instead of having to use the Wii to test. Without that tool they could still check their graphics; just not as conveniently. And they also don't have online implemented yet. Dunno why online is such a hot deabte with XB360 and PS3 but totally overlooked on Wii? Overall Nintendo seem well behind the curve.

Though this is going off topic.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=15467

Hey look, Nintendo's half assing it again. Not to mention, Gamespy was the official online middleware provider for Gamecube as well...

I think as far as this generation is concerned, everyone should just give up on playing games on a Nintendo console online...again. There will be a tiny handful, and that'll be a treat, but I wouldn't be surprised if no more than 6-10 games have online multiplayer.

I dont think its going to be that bad. The Wii basically already has everything needed to go online unlike the GC its just nintendo who needs to release the SDK. Ubi and SE already said they want online along with some other devs so if nintendo releases the SDK you'll probably see something of a online option in most games I think. There isnt really a reason not to include one.

As far as the online system goes if nintendo really sticks with the unique friendcode for every game than they screwed up bigtime. I could understand why they did it with the DS but there really is no reason to stick with that system for the Wii. I hope we'll end up with 1 friendcode wich you can use for every game and that pokemon stays a exeption because of the wii - DS connectivitie. Having one code still is going to be a bitch (why cant they hook the code to a username? that shouldnt really be a problem even if they want to implement it at a later stage?) because you still need comformation to add someone from both sides so no easy adding friends or adding players you meet online. Not a great system but atleast its somewhat useable without to much trouble.

We're no longer in the Xbox PS2 generation.

A console can't survive without online multi player abilities in 2007. Not even a hand held..

I don't think it will be a repeat of the Game Cube. I think they need to sell some headsets and get this thing moving.

Well this is wxactly what they need, a from the grund up Wii engine that is easy to work, I hope they get a good portfolio of tools soon enought and that it dont take to much time till we see the result of this.

I wonder how will this work in terms of price and overall bussiness terms.

Also glad to see the network is starting to work too.

The middleware from Gamespy is for third parties correct? Nintendo will probably implement their own type of online for their first party and maybe second party titles.

And, since Nintendo does produce and publish many game for their own console I think no matter what we will see quality online titles from them. Fact is, many Nintendo fans buy Nintendo for Nintendo games and not necessarily third party titles.

The middleware from Gamespy is for third parties correct? Nintendo will probably implement their own type of online for their first party and maybe second party titles.

And, since Nintendo does produce and publish many game for their own console I think no matter what we will see quality online titles from them. Fact is, many Nintendo fans buy Nintendo for Nintendo games and not necessarily third party titles.

That should change with the Wii. You have tons of new fans that playing console games for the first time ever, or the first time in 10 years. Its not just nintendo fans buying these consoles. Otherwise the GC should have done much better.

Third-parties have online kits, Reggie said they have them in a interview at GDC posted at GT. The press release seems to have come shortly after kits were put devs hands. The issue now is Nintendo having the servers ready. Also the complete version of the Wii Opera browser should be released at the end of the month or early next month.

We're no longer in the Xbox PS2 generation.

A console can't survive without online multi player abilities in 2007. Not even a hand held..

I don't think it will be a repeat of the Game Cube. I think they need to sell some headsets and get this thing moving.

If any company can do it, it's Nintendo. Either way, their whole online strategy is based on keeping kids safe, so it's pretty safe to assume that it just isn't their focus... yet again.

So... is this OT, or did the topic shift?

And their whole strategy to keep kids safe is to not allow them to play online :p
...and when you think about it, online gaming would be better without the kiddies yelling over headsets.

Personally, I hope they could come up with a convinient solution to matchmaking, without having to sacrifice the security of friends codes. Something like a "transmit/recieve code" rather than having to enter one manually would be nice.

Well, the friendcodes are stored on the flash memory, so i don't see why devs are forced to have gamers re-enter friendcodes for every game. There is no memory card use on the DS, every is stored on the cartridge, so there isn't any work around. Unless Nintendo were to release a memory card for the GB slot, effectively allowing devs access to this memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back