FlatOut Ultimate Carnage - New Interview

groper

Regular
What new features have been afforded by the superior Xbox 360 hardware?

Rawles: We're pushing the hardware as far as we can and so far everything is holding together. From a memory point of view, we've upped the number of dynamic objects you can crash into from approx 5,000 to somewhere between 7 and 8,000 objects.
And these objects stay on the track and can influence gameplay, they don't get reset or fade away over the course of a race.

With the increased GPU power, we can now render more cars (12 in-game), at higher resolutions, with thousands more polygons.

All the cars have real-time environment mapping and real-time shadow mapping including self-shadowing. In fact, the entire scene, not just the cars have a real-time shadow map. All buildings, trees, cars, characters, and every single one of the 8,000 objects have a proper shadow.

Have you taken any influence from PS3's Motorstorm, and do you feel motivated by the increased competition?

Rawles: In all honesty no, we've not been influenced by Motorstorm. Looking at some of their features, perhaps they've been influenced by FlatOut.
We've obviously kept an eye on it to see what they're doing but it's not a direct competitor to FOUC since they are PS3 exclusive and we are Xbox 360 exclusive. But competition in general is always a good thing.
You have to stand out in this competitive genre and we're making sure FOUC does exactly that. If you think destruction, damage and carnage, we want FOUC to be the first game that comes to mind.

Read more HERE

flatout3ayj3.jpg

flatout3bdk9.jpg

Technically the game sounds very impressive for what it does and i love their attempt for"a bit of photorealism" graphics, if those screens are any indication of how the final game will look.
I add it already in my favs and (can't) wait for some footage. :D

The original flatout is currently $5 USD on steam.

[edit]

whoops. Ok it's back to $10 now :cry:

LOL, it's rubber car.

While you have a point in that it doesn't look entirely convincing, it seems to be the most exhausting damage modelling done so far. So technically, yes, I think it'd be fairly impressive if they pull it off at that level.

While you have a point in that it doesn't look entirely convincing, it seems to be the most exhausting damage modelling done so far. So technically, yes, I think it'd be fairly impressive if they pull it off at that level.

From these photos for me it isn't impressive.

I agree. I also find the ground textures superb

Why can't they do a simple interview and hype the game, why the PS3 bashing? Man I hate fan websites, it's like watching Fox News.

Why can't they do a simple interview and hype the game, why the PS3 bashing? Man I hate fan websites, it's like watching Fox News.

PS3 bashing is done everywhere unfortunately. It doesnt necessarilly need a fansite :LOL:

What the hell are you talking about?

edit: the game looks pretty good based on those pictures and it's made by a Finnish developer, so it has to be good :smile:

You should really work on your reading comprehension, there's no PS3 bashing at all. Talk about hyper-sensitive...

This is what you call PS3 bashing?

In all honesty no, we've not been influenced by Motorstorm. Looking at some of their features, perhaps they've been influenced by FlatOut.

You can't be serious...

What new features have been afforded by the superior Xbox 360 hardware?

Since they were talking about Motorstorm, I assumed this was the interviewer refering to the PS3, but I guess he was talking about the Xbox1?

Why was Motorstorm brought up at all? The two games look nothing alike, it seems the Xbox crowd are defensive about a PS3 exclusive.

What PS3 bashing ? :oops:

In any case the game looks a lot like Full Auto or Burnout or a bit of both. Nothing too spectacular for now I think.

I was "complaining" about the interviewer.
Previous Flatout games were released on PS2/Xbox and we can easily conclude that Xbox 360 is vastly more powerful than those platforms, thus it could create some opportunities to make some improvements in franchise. Motorstorm question was asked several questions later and I fail to see how these questions could be related. Motorstorm was brought up maybe because interviewer thought it's a really cool game that evolves its genre*, hence he could ask whether Motorstorm is any sort of inspiration for Flatout guys. It's that simple.:p

* it's not my opinion, I didn't like Motorstorm at all. Then again I don't like Burnout either (and never played a Flatout game)

Since they were talking about Motorstorm, I assumed this was the interviewer refering to the PS3, but I guess he was talking about the Xbox1?

Why was Motorstorm brought up at all? The two games look nothing alike, it seems the Xbox crowd are defensive about a PS3 exclusive.

Motorstorm was brought up because both games feature vehicle damage. It seems the ps3 owners are more defensive these days and with good reason. The whole gaming industry is a little mad at Sony. The gamers are mad because they priced the thing out most peoples reach. The publishers are mad because they've invested a lot in development and they want more people to buy the system so they can sell more software and current price models keep out of mainstream adoption for a long time. Many were hoping for a $399 ps3 to grow the industry. Game journalists are acting more like tabloid journalists but the tension does exist.

Motorstorm was brought up because both games feature vehicle damage. It seems the ps3 owners are more defensive these days and with good reason. The whole gaming industry is a little mad at Sony. The gamers are mad because they priced the thing out most peoples reach. The publishers are mad because they've invested a lot in development and they want more people to buy the system so they can sell more software and current price models keep out of mainstream adoption for a long time. Many were hoping for a $399 ps3 to grow the industry. Game journalists are acting more like tabloid journalists but the tension does exist.

heh - you forgot game journalists are mad because they looked like fools for believing cgi was realtime gameplay!;)

Another reason they may have referenced motorstorm is I believe flatout has an offroad section or mode. I could be wrong as I've never played the game but I'm pretty sure I've seen screenshots depicting an offroad environment.

From the screens I've seen of this one it looks like it might be a good title. Curious to see how a game built from the ground up for next gen would look from these guys.

Bah I d say the media is more "pissed" than those. You know the media

Back