micron

Diamond Viper 550
Veteran
...got an HP printer ad with a timer counting down:???:

Is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
...got an HP printer ad with a timer counting down:???:

Is this normal?
Definitely not, and we certainly don't run ads in the links that the forum software generates. While it's easy for me to say, "sounds like a problem at your end", in this case I feel pretty justified unless you can repeat it.

I had it happen on two separate computers. My sister's last night, and mine this morning.

I clicked on "user-CP" and it went to a full screen HP advert. If I clicked "skip" on the advert it went on to the control panel.

I could see that on my sister's computer (her kids install all sorts of games), but I'd be surprised on my machine.

I haven't seen it at work yet, so maybe there's something to that theory. I'll check tonight. Its just kinda wierd that its happening on three separate machines that aren't in contact.

I'm kind of obsessive compulsive about keeping crap off of my pc.....but you never know.

I had it happen on two separate computers. My sister's last night, and mine this morning.

I clicked on "user-CP" and it went to a full screen HP advert. If I clicked "skip" on the advert it went on to the control panel.

I'd be embarrassed to admit how many times per day I click on "User CP", but that's never happened to me.

Awesome, you use Firefox, thanks for posting.

:rolleyes:

Those who've experienced this have just so happened to use IE, that seems like a rather likely thread considering that IE tends to be easily hit by spyware, maybe that's noting the browser is important...

Next time it happens, can someone get a screenshot or at least note down the URL it takes you to, so I can do some more investigating on our side?

Again, this is not something we're knowingly doing, if it is something on our side.

Next time it happens, can someone get a screenshot or at least note down the URL it takes you to, so I can do some more investigating on our side?

Again, this is not something we're knowingly doing, if it is something on our side.

I'm getting Full page ads for Monster.ca every 6 or 7 page clicks, it's extremely annoying, have to wait 5 seconds for the 'page to load' and then click the 'skip ad' link or wait another 15 seconds. I'll try and get a screen for you.

Okay, just to reiterate what was already said by Rys, this is definitely not something we put together. We would never do something of the sort.

With that made clear, could you guys to whom this happened post what browser you use (Firefox 1.5/2.0, IE6/7, Opera, Konqueror or Safari).
You may also try to look in your browsing hystory and try to grab the link to the advertisement, if possible. Obviously, it would be also helpful if you could get the redirect link of the adserver (the one you see before being redirected to the advertising page. If you see any redirecting URL that is).

The puzzling thing to me is that we've got site admin/staff/mods in 7 different countries and none of us have seen it happen. Obviously if 5 members report it then its happening, but why staff wouldn't see it too from time to time is quite a stumper.

Back