Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Same here mate. I think this game is solid, although the combat isn't as spot on as I thought and the camera is very annoying. But a great RPG like that is always worlds beyond a simple action game.

I'd say this game just lacks immersion, atmosphere and "flair"...

I think the demo had a lot of issues. The camera was problematic, to say the least. For an action game this is frustrating. The AI was very poor and while I can appreciate ease AI--you are a master of the Force afterall and the theme is to kick butt and take names later--they don't do much of interest. The combat is a mixed bag. The Force is very cool (Force Grip!) but stringing combos together doesn't seem to matter much. You are so powerful most attacks seem to work, so the balance appears far too much toward accessiblity over skillful mastery of techniques and combos. This is emphasized by the dumb AI ... so essentially you are dealing with a lot of props and cool powers. Targetting is a little rough and the inability to move while gripping or saber block while moving while probably design concessions are missing. The fact you run around getting blasted by blasters with negligable effect (when, indeed, blocking could have been utilized as a valid gameplay element) kind of sets the tone. While you can see the Euphoria and DMM technology in the game they don't appear in the demo to be a core element to the gameplay in most cases and don't show off much not already in other games (not that the full version won't leverage these, just saying).

The game, to me, appears to leverage the license (duh) and because of such is a mishmash of accessibility and cool factor. My gripe would be that these factors need not to be to the exclusion of "easy to learn, hard to master" gameplay that requires a bit of strategy, thought, and reaction to best utilize advanced combos that are context sensative (e.g. some enemies require different attack approaches to be effective, especially on more difficult settings). I don't know how long the game is, but a concern for any game like this is the lack of value.

You strip away the SW license and I think you have an average game with flaws based on the demo, but that can be misleading. The content resonates well for a lot of consumers and is approachable (which puts it ahead of quite a few titles in this genre) and the license alone and the fact the game does have some very cool elements should ensure solid sales. I was hoping for more, personally, which I should know better by now.

But... maybe... maybe SW: Battlefronts 3 will deliver :p ;)

This game could have been a lot better, as it stands now, the demo turned me off completely. Itn't show any amazing physics, but did show clunky cameras, clunky controls, very very stupid AI, and overall a poor game to me.

I think the demo had a lot of issues. The camera was problematic, to say the least. For an action game this is frustrating. The AI was very poor and while I can appreciate ease AI--you are a master of the Force afterall and the theme is to kick butt and take names later--they don't do much of interest. The combat is a mixed bag. The Force is very cool (Force Grip!) but stringing combos together doesn't seem to matter much. You are so powerful most attacks seem to work, so the balance appears far too much toward accessiblity over skillful mastery of techniques and combos. This is emphasized by the dumb AI ... so essentially you are dealing with a lot of props and cool powers. Targetting is a little rough and the inability to move while gripping or saber block while moving while probably design concessions are missing. The fact you run around getting blasted by blasters with negligable effect (when, indeed, blocking could have been utilized as a valid gameplay element) kind of sets the tone. While you can see the Euphoria and DMM technology in the game they don't appear in the demo to be a core element to the gameplay in most cases and don't show off much not already in other games (not that the full version won't leverage these, just saying).

The game, to me, appears to leverage the license (duh) and because of such is a mishmash of accessibility and cool factor. My gripe would be that these factors need not to be to the exclusion of "easy to learn, hard to master" gameplay that requires a bit of strategy, thought, and reaction to best utilize advanced combos that are context sensative (e.g. some enemies require different attack approaches to be effective, especially on more difficult settings). I don't know how long the game is, but a concern for any game like this is the lack of value.

You strip away the SW license and I think you have an average game with flaws based on the demo, but that can be misleading. The content resonates well for a lot of consumers and is approachable (which puts it ahead of quite a few titles in this genre) and the license alone and the fact the game does have some very cool elements should ensure solid sales. I was hoping for more, personally, which I should know better by now.

But... maybe... maybe SW: Battlefronts 3 will deliver :p ;)

Everything you bring up IMO points to a lack of clarity as to who their target market is. Is it 10yo's or is it older gamers? From your review it appears they targeted both but placated neither. Contrast this to say Lego's SW where there's little doubt who the target audience is (10 yo's) and thus us older gamers adjust our expectations before we even pickup the controller and can enjoy it for what it is.

This game would be great to release in the slow months of summer. Not against the AAA onslaught on Holiday season. Lucasarts, as I recall, was in the process of closing up the gaming side of the business while this was in development so it's very possible you simply has unmotivated people just going through the motions instead of being passionate about working on the title. Can't blame them.

Is there online mode in this game?

Otherwise, what is in the demo seems pretty bare.

Maybe the Indy game will make better use of physics.

Nope, no online on PS3/360 versions. I believe some other version has it. There's no multiplayer not even local in the flagship versions. The Wii has Duel which would be 1vs1 battle, local. As I said some version also has some online mode but don't know which or what exactly. I might have read the DS or PSP one does.

Based on the demo, this game isn't going to sell a single console. No matter the price.

(I say that because in 360 threads it was mentioned how the price drop would coincide with this great release...)

Just a really basic, lame demo. It didn't do anything well as far as I can tell, and provided so shallow of an experience I don't see why anybody would purchase this game. It's maybe a rental, in my book.

Very disappointing for something that was supposed to be so great.

Just played the demo. Nice graphics but damn the controls need lots of work. They are confusing and not very practical. It is hard to target on the right object!

I didnt find the force meter a problem. It regenerates fast. But what got me pissed is that it is not easy to use the powers and moves!!! I was struggling with the controls

Just played the demo. Nice graphics but damn the controls need lots of work. They are confusing and not very practical. It is hard to target on the right object!

I didnt find the force meter a problem. It regenerates fast. But what got me pissed is that it is not easy to use the powers and moves!!! I was struggling with the controls

The controls would be fine if the targeting wasn't so screwed up. I'm not sure why they didn't do the targetting with the camera rather than the direction the character is facing. It's much easier to have it target the object in the center of the screen rather than having it target some object the character is facing, which may be off screen, and then have the camera flip to face that object when you grab it. The same goes for targeting with lightning. If they could patch that, I think it would make the game control infinitely better and give a much better experience.

I think the demo level was may be too basic. They should have picked a more exotic local. From the videos it looks like things get more interesting later on.

How are you suppose to beat that Walker?

Sometimes you see the power meter going down as you're in the air and shooting at it's body.

But all of a sudden, you're on the ground again and it's shooting down on you.

This demo feels so unpolished, haphazardly designed. It's like the interviews said, they thought it'd be cool to make a wookie game - but got shot down so they tried to make something with all the right ingredients. They just don't know how to mix them properly.

You have no long range weapons. At all.
Almost every battle in the demo is long range.
Enemies have huge range and high accuracy, yet are idiots.
Some enemies have ultra-rapid fire guns.
You slow down or stop when hit.
You can't move and block.
You move extra slow when attacking. (?!?!)
To target someone, you need to *run directly at them* (seriously, ?!) and be unrealistically close.
You can't strafe (easily). The lock-on button is hopelessly uncomfortable to hold.
Enemies repeatadly fall to the ground like they are dead. Only to get back up later to shoot you in the back.
etc

How did someone designing this game not see the problems here?

It ended up that I'd jump-dash to get to enemies. It looked utterly retarded, but seemed to be the only realistic way to avoid getting hit. It was made worse by the fact swinging the sabre while in the air made you pause and hover, mid air. So you'd be frantically swinging away, while floating above the enemy you are trying to attack. It's just laughable.

I'm also very concerned where the long term depth is going to come from? Combos?

How are you suppose to beat that Walker?

After getting horribly horribly frustrated, I got as far away from it and threw boxes at it (why is throwing boxes so hard?! - even the 'cool' warp effect which just makes targeting harder...).
After throwing every box I had, except the one stopping it's perfectly aimed ultra-lasers, I then ran towards it. When I got close to it a 2-button quicktime event came up on screen, after which you suddenly cut the walker COMPLETELY IN HALF. (This when normal storm troopers take two swings of your sabre...)

The fact the game has been toned down for a Teen rating is the final nail for me.
Utterly disappointed. I *really* wanted this game to be good.

It's amazing how many basic gameplay design choices jedi knight got so right are so badly wrong here.

You have no long range weapons. At all.
Almost every battle in the demo is long range.
Enemies have huge range and high accuracy, yet are idiots.
Some enemies have ultra-rapid fire guns.
You slow down or stop when hit.
You can't move and block.
You move extra slow when attacking. (?!?!)
To target someone, you need to *run directly at them* (seriously, ?!) and be unrealistically close.
You can't strafe (easily). The lock-on button is hopelessly uncomfortable to hold.
Enemies repeatadly fall to the ground like they are dead. Only to get back up later to shoot you in the back.
etc

How did someone designing this game not see the problems here?

It ended up that I'd jump-dash to get to enemies. It looked utterly retarded, but seemed to be the only realistic way to avoid getting hit. It was made worse by the fact swinging the sabre while in the air made you pause and hover, mid air. So you'd be frantically swinging away, while floating above the enemy you are trying to attack. It's just laughable.
Looks like you could've made more effective use of force push and lightning.

Looks like you could've made more effective use of force push and lightning.

Perhaps. But they never felt like I should be using them. I don't know how to describe it but they didn't really feel like they fit into the game very well.
That said once I worked out the xx-y-xxx-y combo I pretty much just used that, as it seemed to be the only one-hit kill attack.

I downloaded the demo and have played it several times.

I have several issues with the game.

1) Objects just seem to disappear. You can throw a space figher into the wall and watch it explode. However, nothing of it remains! There is not even any debris! The same goes for other objects.

2) The targeting system is not very good. I had difficulty quickly choosing which objects I wanted to use the force on. It's especially a bad problem when multiple objects are close together.

3) The graphics were okay, but nothing special. This game should have top notch graphics.

Of course my biggest problem with the game....

If my character has a light saber he should NOT have to hit a storm trooper multiple times to kill it. The light saber should CUT THE STORM TROOPER IN HALF!

This is the biggest fault of the game. There should be body parts everywhere!

I really wanted to love the game. As it is I thought it was average at best, judging from the demo.

The walker at the end of the level was very frustrating, the fact that the same 'rules' didn't seem to apply to it was really annoying. Not to mention the occasional bullets that seems unblockable. I did eventually kill it after numerous retries by jumping at it's body and using a mix of charged force push and lightning then the QTE.

The issues previously pointed to are very apparent and really break the experience - hell i'd be happy to block whilst moving. What kind of Jedi needs to stand still and block - after making him look so powerful.

Overall I'm still hoping it turns out to be ok, I don't mind hack and slash so fingers crossed the later levels offer some fun.

I killed the walker in the first try :rolleyes: I wasn't even serious , I just threw stuff at it jumped on it and Light sabred it and QTE killed him. I didn;t realise it was frustrating and tough and I am not at all good at melee attack action games. looks like mindless bashing worked.

Otherwise, well, I couldn't form any impressions from the demo. It was flat, I guess. Picking up objects and throwing them felt forced upon. After every gate opened, you knew you had the pick up the crates, electrify them and throw them at the mindless troopers. One thing that bothered me was that I couldn't move when blocking.

The demo was too pale for me to entice a response.Maybe the game is really cool, but the demo just doesn't cut it.

The only demo in recent memeory to entice me was Siren and Battlefield:Bad Company. I got addicted to the BF Demo!

Based on the demo, this game isn't going to sell a single console. No matter the price.

(I say that because in 360 threads it was mentioned how the price drop would coincide with this great release...)

Just a really basic, lame demo. It didn't do anything well as far as I can tell, and provided so shallow of an experience I don't see why anybody would purchase this game. It's maybe a rental, in my book.

Very disappointing for something that was supposed to be so great.

What are you talking about. Its star wars and looks cool. Thats enough for alot of gamers. You guys act like its a broken pos . I've seen so many people buy worse StarWars games on consoles

What are you talking about. Its star wars and looks cool. Thats enough for alot of gamers. You guys act like its a broken pos . I've seen so many people buy worse StarWars games on consoles

It's not broken. It's just going to come out amongst a sea of AAA titles. This would be a perfect july/august release.

So? You seem to be justifying a game that doesn't deserve it. Yes, it'll sell to Star Wars fans but that's it. The game was very hyped and now it's not even mediocre, it's just bad.

Back