Star Wars: Force Unleashed

IMO Star Wars Eipsode 1 on PS1 was the best SW game. You had to time blocks, and develop skill to time it just right and deflect them back to the shooter. It improved my reactions considerably while I played it and had a noticeable benefit to my Badminton game at the time. This just seems a pretty average game let down by the pre-release hype and tech demos, which haven't formed the core of the game, only a light sprinkling of flavouring on the top. It also suffers from Post-Episode 1 moronicism in the technology. Here we see soldiers with mini-gun laser blasters, but a few years later the best anyone can manage is a single-shot blaster rifle...

I liked the online dueling in Jedi Knight series the best, sabrefights where very tactical and deep, requiring tons of skill. (A novice can barely get one lucky hit in during a duel vs an experienced duelist)

IMO Star Wars Eipsode 1 on PS1 was the best SW game.

/Genuine shock !

I honestly thought I would never see the day someone actually said they liked that game, personally thought it was dead dog awful. X-Wing, TIE, the original Dark Forces, KOTOR 1 are all light years better IMO. Each to their own though.

I meant (looking it up online) 'Jedi Power Battles' and not 'The Phantom Menace'. It followed the activities of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, which is why I thought it was Episode I. X-Wing etc. are a different type of game of course. My phrase 'best SW game' is a bit rubbish! I tried KOTOR on PC but was bored witless in the first hour or however long I stuck with it before giving up - not my style at all. There was also the first-person PC Jedi title from years back that was okay, but Jedi Power Battles was in my experience the most 'jedi-like' of the title I played, requiring some sense of realtime skill and focus.

I think I've played through KOTOR a silly number of times, each time I restart I tell myself I'm going to go down the Dark Path. Never do. Wuss........

You know, I would actually far prefer a Star Wars game that wasn't based on being a Jedi. I was always disappointed that they took Kyle Katarn and made him a wizard. It's probably one of the reasons why I adored Rep Comm so much.

As a Star Wars whore I can't begin to express my disappointment. Mundane and blah immediately come to mind. But the thing that really stands out to me is the fact that it has to load to go the game options menu (not the pause screen). I have to sit through a loading screen to just look at the controller settings, invert Y, everything! :???: And then another loading screen to exit out of the options menu and back to the pause screen.

This is for the PS3 version. Haven't downloaded it from Live! yet. I figured they would be pretty close if not the same.

As a Star Wars whore I can't begin to express my disappointment. Mundane and blah immediately come to mind. But the thing that really stands out to me is the fact that it has to load to go the game options menu (not the pause screen). I have to sit through a loading screen to just look at the controller settings, invert Y, everything! :???: And then another loading screen to exit out of the options menu and back to the pause screen.

This is for the PS3 version. Haven't downloaded it from Live! yet. I figured they would be pretty close if not the same.

This is counterbalanced by the total lack of load times for the game itself. It seems to load while the cutscene is playing, so the game starts instantly as soon as it's over. I wish more games would do that.

Wow I'm surpsied (and dissapointed) with all the negative reactions, this game has looked great in everything I'd seen, and I was really looking forward to it. Too bad it seems as though it's not going to deliver in the end :(

I thought the demo was great. Good use of the license mixed with some good arcade fun. I play it to the end twice (on each system), it was more fun than the NG2 demo.

It may not be as technical as some other action games, but I tend to prefer fun over technical.

i had fun with the demo, but i dunno if ill buy it. maybe when it gets cheaper. mind you, this game wasn't really on my radar to begin with.

This game is begging for Jedi Knight 2/Academy mouse/keyboard control, I was fighting the camera and the controller more than the enemies. Especially frustrating when using force grip, you pretty much HAVE to position yourself to already be facing the enemy before you pick up any object or it takes forever to turn and aim it where it needs to go. The same goes for the button layout, especially how RB locks onto targets and RT is force grip making it almost impossible to use the two together unless you use two fingers PS2 style which is kinda awkward on a 360 controller. Cycling targets is simply awful and more often than not the game puts the reticule on something you don't want. A simple crosshair which you aim at objects to interact with them would be infinitely easier to use. Maybe I'm biased against controllers but Jedi Knight 2 was a lot more fun than this game, it's kinda hard to feel like a badass Jedi when you are limited by the stupid controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the demo was reasonably enjoyable, but it's definitely not for me.

Now, if Lucasarts got a script from George and made a proper story driven RPG rather than farming it out to someone else (who releases buggy crap with many plot holes and unfinished storylines) I'd buy it the second it was released.

It's not a bad game, but it's definitely in the action genre. The force attacks you do have do give you the sensation of being very powerful, even if the gauge gets drained instantly.

I hope they give the auto-center for the camera a less jerky transition, and I hope that they provide some technique to rush enemies that's better than just racing at them and eating blaster fire.

Here is a fun thing to do. When you get to the first platform with the flying Tie fighters( not hte ones that are hanging) you can break apart the metal beams holding the platform on the side and point them up. One of them will be in the way of tie fighters that just blow up when they hit it .

The demo is just okay, but its star wars and will be a good counter balance from spore

Even tho I had already decided against buying this because of the trophy absense I will defiently give this a rental. It did seem to get repetitive for a bit but I'm hoping the interactive boss fights help flesh it out.

Did anyone else feel like the only way to defeat groups of enemies was to throw things at them, hide behind something, force power recharge, and repeat??? I really wish you could reflect shots with your saber better.

The demo was fun. But what wouldn't I give for a new Jedi Knight game with all that tech built in... The duels in Outcast were great. Academy felt very random with all those over the top combos...

This game makes me want Knights Of The Old Republic 3 so badly.
I just play the demo and imagine the detail they could put in to the environments and characters this gen. :(

Mass Effect made me feel the same way too.

Back