Nintendo announces 4.5 million Wii consoles sold worldwide

Anyone found the press release? If Nintendo announced something, I'd expect to read a little more of it than a one-paragraph "scoop" on digg and a link to vgcharts :-|

Anyone found the press release? If Nintendo announced something, I'd expect to read a little more of it than a one-paragraph "scoop" on digg and a link to vgcharts :-|

Well, unlike Sony (and to some extent, Microsoft), Nintendo seems to be just "happy". More like down the pub and then say "oh, by the way, we've shipped 4.5 million Wii's..yeah..cool or what. Anyway, see that film last night?"

Well, unlike Sony (and to some extent, Microsoft), Nintendo seems to be just "happy". More like down the pub and then say "oh, by the way, we've shipped 4.5 million Wii's..yeah..cool or what. Anyway, see that film last night?"

:rolleyes:

What are you talking about? Any company would be "happy" with 4.5 million units sold in under 3 months. He's asking where if the official press releases rather than a claim at Digg.com?

Good for them. It looks like there's pretty much no way for the Wii to sell worse than the GC.

I actually expected it to be a hit from the get-go. I'm quite positive it'll eventually beat PS2 numbers as well.

The reason? Girls, moms and grandpas like it too.

I actually expected it to be a hit from the get-go. I'm quite positive it'll eventually beat PS2 numbers as well.

The reason? Girls, moms and grandpas like it too.

Funny thing is as crazy as that comment is, I agree with the possibility. However I also would not be surprised if sales die by the end of 2008. Wii is a different animal that is for sure so historical trends and models for success don't apply. I'm genuinely surprised by how well the system is doing and how quickly word spread on the thing. I think Wii's early success can partially be explained by the popularity of the internet these days as news travels very quickly now. Good or Bad.;)

I love my system. The potential is definitely there for it to do PS2 like numbers but Nintendo seriously needs to get the price down and ramp up on game releases. Hopefully 3rd parties will be around for the long haul this time.

Comparing the Wii to other consoles launches is faulty at best for obvious reasons.

The Wii has the worst 3rd party support. And without strong support from them, their library of games won't grow as fast as others. Pricing isn't a strong dictating factor as much as the games are. I highly doubt the Wii will achieve or even surpass PS2 like sales, especially in the long haul.

The Wii has the worst 3rd party support. And without strong support from them, their library of games won't grow as fast as others. Pricing isn't a strong dictating factor as much as the games are. I highly doubt the Wii will achieve or even surpass PS2 like sales, especially in the long haul.

This I'm sure has already started to change since last e3. The good thing for devs/pubs/Wii is it is a familiar platform so getting up to speed should be a piece of cake for them. I expect Wii to have it's 3rd party support exponentially balloon this year. In fact, I would not be surprised to see Wii have more games available by years end than ps3.

Funny thing is as crazy as that comment is, I agree with the possibility. However I also would not be surprised if sales die by the end of 2008. Wii is a different animal that is for sure so historical trends and models for success don't apply. I'm genuinely surprised by how well the system is doing and how quickly word spread on the thing. I think Wii's early success can partially be explained by the popularity of the internet these days as news travels very quickly now. Good or Bad.;)

Yeah I kinda think it depends on how well stuff like wii braintraining, wiidogs and wii animalcrossing etc will sell. If those games catch on even half as good as they did on the DS nintendo will probably sell more than enough consoles to keep 3rd partry devs interrested for the console and build tru wii games.

comparative cost
comparative "power"
comparative hype
comparative timing
comparative appeal
comparative interface

It is a different animal all together.

Why should different hype/apeal make a comparison between console launches faulty?.. Different levels of hype/apeal make launches better/worse, not incomparable.

Even the other things you've mentioned are usually different from console to console anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my point was the PS2 was far more supply constrained than the Wii so to compare launch sales doesn't make much sense. The Wii is doing very very well but I don't necessarily think this is indicitive of future sales. Being able to produce more is a benefit of not pushing the envelope hardware wise.

Not to mention the PS2 wasn't worldwide in it's first 3 months ;)

Why should different hype/apeal make a comparison between console launches faulty?.. Different levels of hype/apeal make launches better/worse, not incomparable.

Even the other things you've mentioned are usually different from console to console anyway.

One of those items may be comparable perhaps two or three even. But when combined it is a significantly different beast than any other console before, to a lesser extent so is ps3. xb360 is different too but mostly just following ps2's model of success.

Back