Gears of War sweeps the AIAS awards..

EndR

Regular
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22706

"We beat the Wii," boasts DICE winners Epic

"Getting sales is great, making the game we wanted and having people buy it and enjoy it is fantastic. But having our peers say it's the best game of the year? That's insane. We beat the Wii."

The company won eight awards, including Overall Game of the Year and Console Game of the Year, beating off rival titles The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports and Eldar Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

The full list:

The full list of winners follows:
Overall Game of the Year
Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Console Game of the Year

Computer Game of the Year
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games)

Outstanding Innovation in Gaming
Wii Sports (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Handheld Game of the Year
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Animation

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction

Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack
Guitar Hero 2 (Harmonix/Activision/Red Octane)

Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition
LocoRoco (Sony Computer Entertainment/Sony Computer Entertainment)

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design
Call of Duty 3 (Treyarch/Activision)

Outstanding Character Performance - Male

Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Female
Viva Piñata (Rare/Microsoft Game Studios)

Outstanding Achievement in Story and Character Development
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Game Play Engineering

Outstanding Achievement in Online Game Play

Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering

Outstanding Achievement in Game Design

Sports Game of the Year
Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Neversoft Entertainment/Activision)

Strategy Game of the Year
Company of Heroes (Relic/THQ)

First-Person Action Game of the Year
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Fighting Game of the Year
Fight Night Round 3 (EA Sports/Electronic Arts)

Racing Game of the Year
Burnout Revenge (Criterion Games/Electronic Arts)

Role-Playing Game of the Year
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games)

Children's Game of the Year
LocoRoco (Sony Computer Entertainment/Sony Computer Entertainment)

Action/Adventure Game of the Year

Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year
Guild Wars: Nightfall (Arena Net/NCsoft)

Family Game of the Year
Guitar Hero 2 (Harmonix/Activision/Red Octane)

Simulation Game of the Year
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (Microsoft Game Studios/Microsoft Game Studios)

Downloadable Game of the Year
Bookworm Adventures (PopCap/PopCap)

Mobile Game of the Year
Orcs and Elves (Fountainhead Entertainment/Electronic Arts Mobile)
----------

Pretty remarkable for a new IP...

good to see epics game do really well. let's hope it pushed them to do even more coolness on the next game :)

Well deserved awards for Gears. Overall the awards seem fair aside from a case here or there.

Congrats Epic! Hopefully they see the sales of Gears and feel safe to invest heavily in creating a proper sequel with a budget worthy of a multi-million selling AAA title.

Outstanding Character Performance - Male

Huh? GoW had crappy cliche scripts and acting, this is the best of all games in 2006?

Gears was a good game, but mostly for art direction, production value and graphics. As for a game overall, it had a lack of variety and overall "fun factor". The gameplay never really evolved, it was the same weapons and same duck and shoot throughout the entire 8-10 hours.

I think Resistance was ripped off. Overall it was a better story and more fun to play. The only thing it was lacking was online co-op like Gears.

I also think Dark Messiah was better than Oblivion.

One must wonder though, if the game never got the massive hype that it did, would it have received that many awards?(not just this event, but previous ones aswell)

Im not saying the game doesnt deserve the attention its getting, but imo the game is getting TOO MUCH credit for what its worth.

Oh well, gratz to Epic once again :p

I think Gears got exactly what it deserved. Clearly the game of the year for me. On insane with a friend over live co-op it doesn't get any better than that imo. great audiovisual experience with orange sized balls/uber macho athmosphere with rock solid gameplay... Count me in!

I found this part amusing:

However the award for best reception of an award goes to Cliffy B, accepting the prize for Gears' win for Outstanding Achievement in Online Play. The prize was presented by Sony president of worldwide studios Phil Harrison, and when Gears was announced as the winner, many an eye widened in the crowd.

As Cliff accepted the award, he made sure to mention how robust the Xbox 360's online capabilities were--a not-too-veiled dig at Harrison's PlayStation 3. Harrison took the jab in good humor even when Cliff left the stage without an acknowledgement to Harrison, and chuckled as he approached the microphone to present the next award. These are the moments that make award shows like this.

Would have loved to been there to see it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165614.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

emo-LolBlueFlame.gif

There has to be a video of this somewhere on the internet, there just has to be :!:

Why would an Epic employee take a jab at Sony? Are they not working on UT3 for the PS3? GoW supports 4v4 with limited options while R:FoM supports 20v20 with many of options, ranked games, clans support, etc.

Why would an Epic employee take a jab at Sony? Are they not working on UT3 for the PS3?

like most things, I'm sure this was just one man's interpretation of the award dinner, most likely sensationalized to draw attention to the article.

doubtful it was a jab, just cliffy saying how he felt.

oh and there is more to online play than a feature or technical list. Having played Gears online, I'm guessing it was more an award for the feel, balance and design of a fun experience.

It certainly deserves some awards. Enjoyable game.

For those discussing Cliffy, I agree it sounds like nothing. However, he is more of an X360 guy since that's what he worked on.

I remember a ways back he was asked some vague question of PS3 vs 360, and he only said something after some hesitation like "well, my game is for the 360...(implying it's only natural for it to be his preffered platform at the moment)

Why would an Epic employee take a jab at Sony? Are they not working on UT3 for the PS3? GoW supports 4v4 with limited options while R:FoM supports 20v20 with many of options, ranked games, clans support, etc.

More is not always better. If GoW had Resistance level graphics and aspired to be a traditional shooter it would have had huge 20v20 battles as well, but that's not what GoW was trying to be.

Back