Formula One CE Online

When did that Edge come out? Considering the time it takes for a magazine like that to come to press, how could they review it that soon?

Dunno, just spotted it at the office today. Probably pretty new though. It had a long article on Metal Gear and Kojima too.

Might?

I'm still wondering where I would comfortably put my PSP? In my lap? Hold it in one hand? Maybe I'll dangle it in front of my face like a carrot?

Hm... This is an age old PSP problem. Didn't you get something like Logitech's casing which allows you to set your PSP up (vertically) on a table for movie viewing ? FWIW, my PS3 is on a table with keyboard and mouse -- like a desktop computer. So I can set the PSP up just under my flat-screen monitor.

While I am all about added features, unless it's functional some way, it would be purely gimmick.

If I rent the game, why can't I try the PSP rear-view mirror out ? I already said it may be gimmicky. However when I play through the demo, I always have this lingering thought how close my opponents really are. Like I said, I am curious how it will look and feel with the extra view.

If I rent the game, why can't I try the PSP rear-view mirror out ? I already said it may be gimmicky.

according to a guy on neogaf (Aphasnake) who has the retail game and gives it a significantly better review than the EDGE and PSM3 did; he says PSP rear view is not enabled.

This sounds like backface and view frustum culling:
yes its backface culling, i dont think they mention that theyre doing viewfrustum culling at the polygon level (cell is fast but thats prolly a bit of an overkill, i suspect theyre still doing the standard bounding shape vs frustum culling)

There's a flag in OpenGL that lets you turn on or off backface culling. I suspect they're doing it on Cell at least partially because it will save them setting up back-facing triangles on RSX.
from reading a few years ago, my memory was the driver will always cull (even if u go glDisable( GL_CULL_FACE );, ala the driver always knows best, which is true 99% of the time )
ie it doesnt always do what u tell it to, eg with gl display lists with nvidia hardware the object wont get send to the card if the bounding shape (AABB) is not within the viewfrustum
a better example is texture perspective_correction, IIRC since the tnt2 u can set it fastest but the driver will ignore it, since best quality looks so much better + is practically as fast
another example is the pixel shading pipeline order, the nvidia drivers dont necessary obey the correct order (if its a possible performance win)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes its backface culling, i dont think they mention that theyre doing viewfrustum culling at the polygon level (cell is fast but thats prolly a bit of an overkill, i suspect theyre still doing the standard bounding shape vs frustum culling)
I would not be surprised if they cull at triangle level, a single SPU should be able to cull a few dozens miliion triangles per second.
edit: plural is important :)

Last edited:
Modern drivers will always respect the Cull setting (unless its a specific per title optimization where it forces cull on for surfaces that should have it on but didn't). If it didn't you would get many many complaints from developers. Certain effects require the front face to be culled, others need the back face culled, and there are other effects where you want neither culled. And of course while making models, faces sometimes face the wrong way, so modellers will often have backface culling turned off, and then fix them later.

IGN gave it a 7.2

Closing Comments
Formula One Championship Edition can be a really fun game if you happen to be a big fan of either Formula One or technical racing in general. There aren't many whiz-bang features that will draw the interest of outsiders, though it's likely one of the most newbie-friendly Formula games around.

However, things aren't perfect, like how the Career mode requires that you leap over a rather large hurdle before you can jump into a race. If you dig the demo though (available on the PlayStation Store) then you may find a good deal to like here.

Here's 1up's review:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3157537

Better than I expected, after Edge gave it a 4, apparently. That review really has me wondering. But in 1up's review they mention that the game controls great with a wheel, which to me is very encouraging, because that'd be me.

One trend that I'm seeing is that the game seems to be too hard for beginners to get into and being too technical. It's ironic because I recall people being worried it was too easy and too non-technical.

Back