New Oblivion PS3 Screens + Info

i dont know something is really strange, almost with every x360 title realased later on ps3 its always a lot of talking how much better it will look like. But the reality seems to be different not only games run faster on x360 ( cod3 for example) but looks better to. Its good that gametrailers do this comparsions so everyone can see how it is.

I think Oblivion actually runs better on PS3. Better framerate, AF on ground textures, guicker loadings is the way to go. ;) I have a good PC, so I still would buy the game for it. Is Bethesda going to support mod communities on PS3 the same way as they did on PC?

Though I wouldn't say gametrailers' comparisons are good, their compression is horrible:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
ha... they look too danged close to argue about IMO... one came out a year later and has slightly sharper textures and is minus some normal (bump?) maps other than that, they look nearly identical.... as will most MP releases when they are optimized reasonably well for each machine...

sheesh

ha... they look too danged close to argue about IMO... one came out a year later and has slightly sharper textures and is minus some normal (bump?) maps other than that, they look nearly identical.... as will most MP releases when they are optimized reasonably well for each machine...

sheesh

So you played both?

So you played both?

They are fairly close to each other with one version rendering what the other dont render and vice versa. Watch the video, then check the thread for shots and info and then wait for shots from the xbox360 updated version for final summary.;)

It seems that the PS3 version lacks the normal mapping on the ground surface in the cities:

oblivionps3xboxterrainmtl8.jpg

A good trick to gain a lot of gpu time.

Considering 360 version fails to show depth of round stones and looks cheap, I say flat stones with flat textures without any bump mapping is the wiser choice independent of available resources.

Considering 360 version fails to show depth of round stones and looks cheap, I say flat stones with flat textures without any bump mapping is the wiser choice independent of available resources.

I suggest you to check the real thing on the 360. Those screens are low quality. The normal mapping on the 360 is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

The normals look best when the sun light is less (sunset/morning). It easily beats those non normal textures in visual IQ and not to forget that the shot is blurry.

"have you noticed that on X360 that game stops for sec for loading and then you can see how a temple ruins are loaded in front of you eyes. On PS3 the ruins are already loaded."

This is fixed with the patch for the 360 that came out late last week.

The one other thing that strikes me as odd, is The emperor's face on that video looks messed up- i dont see how its better IQ when his eyes look like alien eyes, there purging out of his face lol.

The one other thing that strikes me as odd, is The emperor's face on that video looks messed up- i dont see how its better IQ when his eyes look like alien eyes, there purging out of his face lol.

It's not that the PS3 has more details or less, but that the emperors face is older. One could test this by creating a character and changing the age slider (or do it on PC with the editor on the emperors face).

Gamespot's review is up

From the ingame screenshots posted up, it seems that the normal mapping is actually present in the PS3 version but toned down as well as the bloom. I'm not sure if there is HDR in this version (I've read people post here that the PS3 version has no HDR), but I believe there is.

Overall, I still think the PS3 version looks better in terms of polish, framerate, and smoothness.

Why does everyone complain about the PS3 version being inferior because some of the downloadable content isn't available yet? I saw an interview with the Bethesda guy a few weeks ago where he explained that they wouldn't immediately release them simply because it would unbalance the game if you had them available from day one. The Knights of the Nine on the other hand was no problem to include.

I'm sure as a publisher you'd also want the extra publicity of releasing content to the platform a few months after you released the full game.

Personally I'd say the PS3 version is the better version if anything because the Knights of the Nine expansion is included in there already. But hey ... ;)

Why does everyone complain about the PS3 version being inferior because some of the downloadable content isn't available yet? I saw an interview with the Bethesda guy a few weeks ago where he explained that they wouldn't immediately release them simply because it would unbalance the game if you had them available from day one. The Knights of the Nine on the other hand was no problem to include.

I'm sure as a publisher you'd also want the extra publicity of releasing content to the platform a few months after you released the full game.

Personally I'd say the PS3 version is the better version if anything because the Knights of the Nine expansion is included in there already. But hey ... ;)

And personnally I'd say 360 version is the better because I got it!:LOL:
I think it's time to stop this…
The two version was so close ( still more with the 360 patche) that for me the only think to say it's great work from the devs to perform more their game and also good port to PS3.

P.S: sorry if there's got some mistakes in my english, i'm not practice it a lot at the moment.

Normal mapping is present, but on few surfaces than the 360 version. In this city for example, it was removed from the ground (maybe to improve frame rate), click to expand:

I think you need a better screenshot to illustrate your point. For example, if normal mapping has been toned down on the ground and overall like I mentioned, the viewing angle of the screenshot you selected wouldn't show normal mapping in the first place. Secondly, you have not provided a screenshot that is comparable from the Xbox360 version (comparable in terms of angle and time of day, etc).

Back