New Oblivion PS3 Screens + Info

these lod textures look leaps and bounds better than quarls btw

They probably are qarls. There are various background enhancements you can use so its up to the user to customise the game as they see fit.

First you have simple higher res distance textures which is an area dominated by Qarl. Then you have a couple of non qarl options for better tiling of distance textures so that you don't see repeating patterns at a distance, however you would certainly want to use this in combination with the higher res distance textures.

Finally you have the qarl high res normal maps which you see in my screens and which give the impression of a much more "craggy" landscape. This is best used in combo with the mods above and personally I think it looks stunning but its certainly not a requirement if you prefer the smoother landscape look.

All of the above is merely for the distance textures though. The closer textures are dealt with by a completely different qarl mod called Texture Pack 3 (the successor to 2 and 1). This is a massive mod which replaces justr about all of the stock textures in the game (aside from distance textures) with far more detailed and high res versions. I personally think they are a universal win, better in every way than the stock textures. TP3 also adds extremely detailed parallax maps to many services significantly adding to the graphics detail.

show me a screen of oblivion that even comes close to matching the lighting and shadowing in that kameo screen. individual blades of grass are reflecting light.

which are dev shots? they look in game to me. maybe u mean cutscenes? im also not sure how u can think that oblivion looks better than any of the other screens...the lighting in graw makes it look soooo good, and the pgr3 screen has a near photorealistic track. gow is, well, gow and just about everyone on the planet, including every game site agrees its is BY FAR the best looking game ever.

i havent played oblivion with qtp3, but ive played it with previous mods. qtp3 makes it look worse from all the screens, nothing meshes and all the textures are harsh and look out of place. and the highres normal maps just look like theres dog shit all over the ground.

show me a screen of oblivion that even comes close to matching the lighting and shadowing in that kameo screen. individual blades of grass are reflecting light.

Like I said, its a dev shot, thats not an in game pic, show an in game pic that is notably superior to the many in game pics already posted of Oblivion. I don't recall anythink particularly more impressive about the grass in Kameo compared to that in Oblivon but I do remember there being much less of it in generally more enclosed areas.

which are dev shots? they look in game to me. maybe u mean cutscenes?

Cut scenes using higher detail assets + added MSSA and filtering = devshots. Like I say, I have 3 of those games and while those shots are indicitive of the gameplay graphics, they are not a perfect representation like the Oblivion shots are.

im also not sure how u can think that oblivion looks better than any of the other screens...the lighting in graw makes it look soooo good, and the pgr3 screen has a near photorealistic track. gow is, well, gow and just about everyone on the planet, including every game site agrees its is BY FAR the best looking game ever.

Is every game site including a modded version of Oblivion in that comparison? In fact, im quite certain "every" game site doesn't claim Gears is "by far" the best looking game ever. In fact I think you will have difficulty just finding one that makes such a claim. I have already addressed your comments regarding the other two games.

i havent played oblivion with qtp3, but ive played it with previous mods. qtp3 makes it look worse from all the screens, nothing meshes and all the textures are harsh and look out of place. and the highres normal maps just look like theres dog shit all over the ground.

So as I suspected your making these judgements from screenshots rather than playing the game with that mod. Personally, and speaking from experience of playing the game with both TP2 and TP3 I believe TP3 is the best version so far. The Parallax mapping that it adds has a huge effect and the textures themselves fit in with the environment better that TP2 (if anything they are more understated than TP2). I believe speculars have also been greatly enhanced in TP3. As for the distance normals, thats a choice not a pre-requisite of the other improvements but I for one think they are a vast improvement over standard higher res distance textures. In fact I find it hard to mesh your comment of "and the highres normal maps just look like theres dog shit all over the ground" with this screen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_3_PC.jpg

:???:

http://bestof.ign.com/2006/overall/21.html

readers choice and ign

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html...&x=0&y=0&page=3&q=best of 2006&q=best of 2006
click the best graphics video. gow wins again

http://www.gametrailers.com/gtawards06.php

guess who wins this one? gow!!

http://www.cheatcc.com/extra/bestof2006_special.html

chalk up another for gow

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=39214

and yet another

as for ur comments about devshots, they might add aa and af, but the ingame assets are the same, and having less aa and af wouldnt make enough of a difference.

and u cant tell me in that pic u posted that the lod textures convey depth. they just look like black areas on the texture.

516505_20051004_screen006.jpg

516505_20050518_screen004.jpg

just wow, look at the lighting dude, look how natural they make the colors look, it looks like they are rly responding to actual daylight. thats not enhanced by aa and af.

i suggest u go to gametrailers.com and d/l the kameo review in HD format, it looks even better in motion, i think if u see this hd video u will truly appreciate just how amazing kameo looks. i wont even mention the amazing animation that makes oblivion look like stiff wooden ventriloquist dolls

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey icecold1983 wy are you comparing Oblivion to GoW? The majority of great looking games lack next to GoW visually anyways.

Nobody clamed Oblivion looks superb as it is. Also the Kameo pics you posted arent anything special either and the modded Oblivion looks just as good or even better than the Kameo pics.

Ok, I'll ask again, are any of those reviews comparing it to a modded Oblivion and are any of them saying its specifcally "by far" the best looking game out there? Im not denying Gears is probably the best looking stock game out there and in many ways its better than a modded Oblivion. However in other ways its worse and given the different types of gameplay its not really an apples to apples comparison anyway. My personal feeling is that Oblivion modded on my PC looks a little better on my TV than Gears does on my 360 through the same TV. But thats just an option so its pointless trying to "prove it wrong".

as for ur comments about devshots, they might add aa and af, but the ingame assets are the same, and having less aa and af wouldnt make enough of a difference.

How do you know they are the same? Gears for example was developed with much higher res content that was scaled back for the game. Many pulicity shots featured this higher res content.

and u cant tell me in that pic u posted that the lod textures convey depth. they just look like black areas on the texture.

I disgaree, but then I was actually playing that scene were the picture was taken while your only point of reference is the picture itself.

just wow, look at the lighting dude, look how natural they make the colors look, it looks like they are rly responding to actual daylight. thats not enhanced by aa and af.

i suggest u go to gametrailers.com and d/l the kameo review in HD format, it looks even better in motion, i think if u see this hd video u will truly appreciate just how amazing kameo looks. i wont even mention the amazing animation that makes oblivion look like stiff wooden ventriloquist dolls

You must have missed the part were I said I own Kameo. Its a great looking game but doesn't really look like that screenshot for the most part in gameplay.

are u able to take any pictures of u playing it? id be interested to see how it looks if u have a decent camera. u do have an hdtv right? ur not comparing it on an sdtv.

are u able to take any pictures of u playing it? id be interested to see how it looks if u have a decent camera. u do have an hdtv right? ur not comparing it on an sdtv.

You mean to prove I have it? Can't that be checked via my gametag or something online? Anyway im in work at the moment so for now I can't.

I play on a 40" Samsung R7 LDC at 720p. Thats for both my PC and 360 (the PC is actually 1360x768 but uses a 10m VGA connection so the picture quality isn't quite as good as the 360 on component).

Suffice to say though im getting just about as good a visual experience as the 360 can give.

no i just wanna see the pics u take, cuz from what ive seen of it personally, mostly at the best buy demo station, it looks exactly like the screens i posted, just with a few jaggies.

They probably are qarls.
The ones I'm using aren't. They're the much older LOD landscape texture replacements (both for near and far regions) by shaja. I'm not going to touch any of the super-highres stuff including Qarl's work with a ten foot pole. I only have the 320MB 8800GTS, not nearly enough graphics memory to run all the highres texture packs.

Multiplatform games spell multiplatform discussions. The reality of the new console way! Besides, nothing much to say about that PS3 version yet.

Hmm was not the PS3 version supposed to look better than vanilla xbox360/PC version becouse the reviewer states otherwise.:oops:

From the link above:
well, the textures, draw distance, frame rate and load times are better (confirmed by bethesda and pete) but the reviewer said that he noticed some polygon seaming in some parts, the audio is a little worse and ATM, theres no DLC, making the 360 version better. but thats all subjective, and DLC will most likely come.

remember, 1up were the guys that started the "memory issues with the ps3" rumors.

well, the textures, draw distance, frame rate and load times are better (confirmed by bethesda and pete) but the reviewer said that he noticed some polygon seaming in some parts, the audio is a little worse and ATM, theres no DLC, making the 360 version better. but thats all subjective, and DLC will most likely come.

remember, 1up were the guys that started the "memory issues with the ps3" rumors.
´

I watched the video posted on the previous page to see a bit more. Obviously the distant textures has been greatly improved and that makes a huge difference.
Draw distance seems the same although there where not many scenes that showed the horizont. Reviewers state that the load times are slightly better so this is good. Frame rate seemed very inconsistent but perhaps the video posted on the previous page has beta stage content?
the bugs should be fixed without problems with a patch a believe.

Back