Using Animated GIFs to show Movement Aliasing

Jawed

Legend
Looking at G80 AA images such as:

8xQz.png

I realised that B3D could heighten its analysis of various AA techniques by providing an animated version of this.

e.g. a sequence of say, 12, images are made into an animated GIF, about 48KB, showing the triangle pattern moving in a smallish circle.

Jawed

GIF works in this case because the number of colors is low. But I would prefer a lossless video codec because it adds playback control.

GIF works in this case because the number of colors is low. But I would prefer a lossless video codec because it adds playback control.
I tend to use HuffYUV (as you are probably aware :) )

How about a mouse-over that switches between an AA mode and the next highest? Or maybe a flash prog that lets you select which AA mode to display in the same window? :)

I realised that B3D could heighten its analysis of various AA techniques by providing an animated version of this.

e.g. a sequence of say, 12, images are made into an animated GIF, about 48KB, showing the triangle pattern moving in a smallish circle.
Thanks for the suggestion :smile: We'll investigate what we can do to present IQ data a bit better, it's definitely suboptimal via static images for the most part, so we'll take a look at what we can do (including a look at animated GIF).

We might need help picking the best delivery format for some stuff, too, so hopefully people can get involved with helping us develop that.

Cheers!

Over at EB, we have a system that can take a bunch of static image files (of any format type, including JPEG and PNG) and 'animate' them (i.e. display them one after the other as a 'slideshow' with a pause of your choice between switching images). It really is inavluable for image quality comparisons, so something similar might be worth considering.

Don't ask me how it works though - I didn't code it, I only use the thing. ;)

Like said, GIFs won't do because the 8-bit color resolution will obliterate any image for the purposes of image quality evaluation.

There exists an animated counterpart to PNG format called MNG, however. Browser support is poor, though, so a plugin would be required.

Like said, GIFs won't do because the 8-bit color resolution will obliterate any image for the purposes of image quality evaluation.

There exists an animated counterpart to PNG format called MNG, however. Browser support is poor, though, so a plugin would be required.
Flash is the obvious choice.

Back