PS3 game sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

assen

Veteran
Forgive me if this has already been posted here, but so far I haven't seen it.

Somebody keeps a list of released PS3 games together with their ISO sizes:

PS3NEWS.COM forum said:
Call Of Duty 3 = 6.7GB (7,154,827,264 bytes)

Fight Night: Round 3 = 4.28 GB (4,605,018,112 bytes)
Full Auto 2: Battlelines = 3.55GB (3,812,687,872 bytes)

Genji (US) = 12.2GB (13,103,923,200 bytes)

Madden NFL 07 = 7.08GB (7,597,719,552 bytes)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance = 6.85GB (7,356,874,752 bytes)
Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire = 3.96GB (4,247,295,445 bytes)
Motor Storm (JAP) = 11.9GB (12,793,610,240 bytes)

NBA 2K7 = 7.59GB (8,153,399,296 bytes)
NHL 2K7 = 8.4GB (8,443,592,704 bytes)

Need For Speed Carbon = 11.5GB (12,431,458,304 bytes)

Resistance: Fall Of Man = 17.53GB (18,827,837,440 bytes)
Ridge Racer 7 = 6.95 GB (7,471,366,144 bytes)
Ridge Racer (JAP) = 6.95GB (7,471,366,144 bytes)

Tiger Woods 2007 = 7.19GB (7,365,525,504 bytes)
Tony Hawk Project 8 = 5.10GB (5,489,950,720 bytes)

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom = 8.27GB (8,880,652,288 bytes)

Breaking news! (Ports of DVD9) games don't need Blu-ray capacities :) you heard it here first!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's useless if we don't have the 360 disk size as most of theses games are multiplatform games.

And for rfom, I'm sure that real data take a lot less than 17.5 GB.

EDIT I've just realized that my post sounds harsh...

But what i want to say is : why a ps3 site feels the need to show off these numbers?
Alone they're useless because they are obviously trying to make people think that BR is already needed for games... and they don't shown the disk size of these games on the 360...

Between crackdown demo (who is the whole game as far as I know) is slightly less than 2 GB....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame really. One of the most perceivable advantages the PS3 has is its ability to have much larger games (more level, more diverse assets etc) due to the extra space available.

It's a shame really. One of the most perceivable advantages the PS3 has is its ability to have much larger games (more level, more diverse assets etc) due to the extra space available.
... I don't know if I really should answer this...

it's useless if we don't have the 360 disk size as most of theses games are multiplatform games.

And for rfom, I'm sure that real data take a lot less than 17.5 GB.

EDIT I've just realized that my post sounds harsh...

But what i want to say is : why a ps3 site feels the need to show off these numbers?
Alone they're useless because they are obviously trying to make people think that BR is already needed for games... and they don't shown the disk size of these games on the 360...

And you are obviously trying to make them irrelevant.

Fact is that some exclusive ps3 games ISO are bigger than DVD size and multiplatform games are already on the limit of DVD 9. I do not think EA is trying to push its ISO size bigger than reality for pleasing ps3 ******s.

NFS carbon exceeds dvd9 size, and I do wonder why as this game is available on the 360...

For the rest do research on this very forum and you will find that rfom take something like 6GB of data (less than gear of war).
I don't know for the others exclusive, but I do have some stong interrogation when it comes to the size of say motorstorm...
For genki I don't know at all as the game is likely to be full of FMV.

For the rest the cost in content creation to fill a full bR has been discussed here quiet sometime...

the same for FMV and game like BD on the 360.

And I don't say that some games on the 360 at some time will need more than a dvd (BD already does).

360 games may have bigger size than actual game data because of dummy files to keep files to best reading area if you know what i mean.

I know what you mean but I'm under the impression that access times are more important than transfer speed rate. Anyway it does change the fact that we don't have the size of the 360 iso to compare,
nor the fact that some 360 games will need more than one dvd, and this discussion has been beaten to death already...

They expect readers to extrapolate from these based the precedent set by the early PS2 games which ran on CD. In general, the games grew to at least 2 times the size of the capacity offered by a CD.

They are not trying to show off these numbers; if you notice, they are from the "PS3 Linux" subforum, so they are probably just playing with Blu-ray access from Linux.

They are not trying to show off these numbers; if you notice, they are from the "PS3 Linux" subforum, so they are probably just playing with Blu-ray access from Linux.

Exactly. The numbers are just facts extrapolated by users, not some Sony PR machine (and i cant remember Sony giving any official statement about the super large disc size of one of their games).

Those games actually require that amount of disc spaces for wahtever reason or do you [liolio] think EA would want to make Sony look shiny because they need more than what fits on a DVD9.

But as some wise man said in some other thread:

Yeah. Everyone knows no game needs over 8MB. That's why N64 is using cartridges. All those CD games are just going to be full of worthless CG!

;)

Come on, nfs carbon run on the 360...
So there's some data redundancy for some reason.

The actual size of rfom is far less than 17GB Some members here have posted this some month ago.

Between, I've never try to state that pc, Wii (unlikely), 30, will never come with multi disk games.
But Dvd9 is still the standard for some time most of these multiplatform won't grow in size significantly any time soon they've been running on a hd format for quiet sometime (years): PC (they have already grown in size)

I won't bring in discussion again the cost of content creation...useless...
Nor the fact that most people here agree that some games will need 2 or 3 dvd on the 360.

Maybe I'm wrong and the goal is something else :
Some linux users are trying to manage to burn ps3 game on dvd (most on these game could be)

But anyway it's helpless, I should have never post in this thread like a lot of others have done.

So you get your point dvd is doomed, pc , 360, Wii are doomed...
Ps3 has a tough time, so I give up and let some air to fan of the system...

The actual size of rfom is far less than 17GB Some members here have posted this some month ago.

without the region padding RFoM is 16,10 GB , i really wouldn't call it far less

Perhaps they actually did compress videos with higher bitrate than on x360.
Which is something they should have done in Marvel Ultimate Alliance X360 version, the quality of FMV is just horrible, there really is no reason not to fill the DVD.
I haven't seen it on ps3, but the size of the game doesn't give me much hope for decent quality FMV.

I thought these were actually found when somebody found how to put PS3 games on the hard drive for pirating (there's a youtube of it but I don't want to link bad things) and now people are wondering if it's feasible to download these games.

10 gigs would take a while to download, and then there's the chance that sony could release updates that prevent this method from working...but then you could dual-boot the OS.

Couldn't some PS3 games have multiple copies of the game on the disk to lower load times? This definitely seems a lot worse then PSP emulation where people hardly went online and it's probably the least convenient to pirate just because of the size of the games.

I thought these were actually found when somebody found how to put PS3 games on the hard drive for pirating (there's a youtube of it but I don't want to link bad things) and now people are wondering if it's feasible to download these games.

10 gigs would take a while to download, and then there's the chance that sony could release updates that prevent this method from working...but then you could dual-boot the OS.

Couldn't some PS3 games have multiple copies of the game on the disk to lower load times? This definitely seems a lot worse then PSP emulation where people hardly went online and it's probably the least convenient to pirate just because of the size of the games.

Sony and pirates trade blows it seems monthly with PSP firmware updates and new cracks. I don't think size of a game means much with gamefly and blockbuster unlimted rental plans. Even if that video is fake it IMO it is only a matter of time before someone cracks it because of the option to load a second os. If that video is true the PS3 is the most convenient to pirate on no need for a hard ware tampering which most people don't want to do just a few pieces of software and a gamefly account.

Sony and pirates trade blows it seems monthly with PSP firmware updates and new cracks. I don't think size of a game means much with gamefly and blockbuster unlimted rental plans. Even if that video is fake it IMO it is only a matter of time before someone cracks it because of the option to load a second os. If that video is true the PS3 is the most convenient to pirate on no need for a hard ware tampering which most people don't want to do just a few pieces of software and a gamefly account.
yeah but then you'd need a huge hard drive.

Want the game not to be pirated? Make all the video 1080P.

yeah but then you'd need a huge hard drive.

Want the game not to be pirated? Make all the video 1080P.

You could use external drives or your PC raid to store your game library. Also I am sure someone would come up with a mod to use 3.5 inch hard drives and then you can have 750gigs and soon to be 1 terabyte. You can find 3.5 inch 500gig drives on sale for less than a 150 bucks almost monthly these days.. The thing with 60 bucks a pop for HD games it makes it much easier to swallow spending a few hundred bucks on a couple of hard drives to pirate with. Add to that the lazy factor don't have to get off the couch to switch games lol. Also this would make something like XBMC possible on the PS3 which would make it a must buy for me even if did not pirate games. There are not good HD media extender I could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back