Your greatest in-game challenge?

bystander

Regular
I've been attempting to document God of War's Challenge of the Gods (and also preparing myself for God of War 2) and having just finished the last challenge. I have to say that has to be one of the most frustating things I've had to do in a game for a while. Although I do now feel a great sense of accomplishment given that it took so many tries to beat it.

I haven't tried playing it on God mode yet, but given the amount of frustration I had at trying to complete the last challenge, I'll probably break the PS2's joypad from what I've heard about it.

What does everyone else feel was their greatest challenge or accomplishment in a game?

Yeah I would have to say the challenge of the gods. It was probably the most rewarding hardest task I've done in a game in a while. Either that or beating gradius (any of them). :p

The challenge of the gods on GOW2 should be a little easier due to the ability to save your progress.

Gaiares remains the hardest game I've ever played.

Greatest accomplishment? Getting to the point where I was one of the top 50 Q2CTF players in the world. :)

Playing "Hunt the Pixel" in graphic adventures is a close second.

My greatest challenge was trying to puzzle out exactly what text commands and text nouns the game creator wanted me to type in to get the result I wanted in all those infernal Infocom games. Never finished a single one, either.

My greatest challenge was trying to puzzle out exactly what text commands and text nouns the game creator wanted me to type in to get the result I wanted in all those infernal Infocom games. Never finished a single one, either.

Amen.

Zork 2...

Slide mat under door
poke letter opener in keyhole
pull mat from door
take key
unlock door

*whew*

RAAM on Insane in Gears of War alone. You'll hate yourself, your 360, the controller, the game and your TV all in one.

Terrorist Hunt on Rainbox Six: Vegas alone.

Terrorist Hunt on Rainbox Six: Vegas alone.

I've literally setup a terrorist hunt with maxed enemies and had around half of them following each other into this small area in line just head shotting each. ~PC version

-The final boss part 2 in God of War on god mode... I gave up after trying atleast 100 times
-Beating Phantasy Star 1 on Master System when I was about 9 years old and with limited english skills (man those were the times!)

The challenge of the gods on GOW2 should be a little easier due to the ability to save your progress.

I think that'll just encourage them to come up with even harder challenges (hopefully not all as difficult as the last challenge in GoW!).

Actually did you feel that the difficulty of the challenges seemed a bit uneven? The ninth challenge compared to the tenth is like a walk in the park, the eighth challenge felt harder than the ninth by considerable degree as well..

-The final boss part 2 in God of War on god mode... I gave up after trying atleast 100 times

If thats the part were you can't use the chains of hadies, then yea i gave up to. I really hate giving up on a game..., but he is just to hard in God Mode.

the PGR platinum levels on the xbox were pure crazyness. Maybe I just suck but damn they were hard, never could complete many of them.

There is also a certain XBLA game I'm quite proud to have the full 200pts for... :p

Parasite Eve 2 and Area 51 final bosses, I tried numerous times but could never finish them. :cry: :devilish:

Getting Hunk and Tofu in Resident Evil 2. Never actually managed to get Tofu though, but I did get Hunk after I played through the Claire Redfield scenario in under 2,5 hours, without saving once, and without using the first aid sprays and the submachinegun.

I'd have to say Panzer Dragoon Orta final boss on hard difficulty - three different stages with every one lasting at least 15mins, and no possibility to save or continue in between. So if you die just in the last stage (which of course is the fastest and hardest to memorize), you have to survive at least 30mins in the first two stages (which aren't exactly a walk in the park either) again, every time.. i tried this at least 40 times before i finally beat him - and then never touched the game again!

other than that, beating ninja gaiden black felt quite good (although this was only on 'normal' difficulty - but compared to most other games, this is actually more like 'hard').

Mine was achieving 101% with one life in under an hour on the original donkey kong on the snes. I actually nearly got brought to tears at points trying. You end up just hating yourself but perversly you cant stop trying.

I got every medal in Goldeneye... ;)

but nothing has ever had quite the payoff of figuring out early Infocom and Sierra games. Part of it was begin so young and so proud... but part of it was the challenge -- having time... no gamefaqs.com to tempt you... talking it over with friends, figuring out a puzzle after just thinking about it for a week...when i first got USENET access i had to avoid so many groups due to spoilers! I swear the internet was originally invented so ppl could cheat at video games ;)

RAAM on Insane in Gears of War alone. You'll hate yourself, your 360, the controller, the game and your TV all in one.
Heh, true this. I actually didn't even bother because of the lack of achievement from beating him on insane. So I beat him on hardcore instead and will probably never again touch the single player again.

Back