blurry. We're not just talking texture detail, which is indeed not very
good, but the video looks like it's been rendered at a low resolution and
then upscaled to HD
. The framerate mostly holds steady, though there are a
few blips or loading pauses here and there, but the main problem really is a
lack of sharpness.

So far F.E.A.R. on the PlayStation 3 seems to match the intensity and
involving gameplay of its PC and Xbox 360 counterparts, but the AI still
needs a slight bit of tweaking and the visuals need a lot of work.
Here's
hoping for a last minute visual boost to bring this version up to speed.

direct screenshot:
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/848/848829/img_4299033.html

Oblivion:

The 1up rep discussed what Bethesda told him about the limitations of PS3's
lack of memory
"There's no horse armor, etc... It's a technical limitation. They just don't
have enough memory to load every peice of downloadable content. They tried
it, did some work arounds, but the performance isn't there. They hope to
have some, but they're going to have to pick and choose [unlike the 360
version, which has tons of downloadable content, all of which can be used in
the game]".

after the plain crowd of fightnight, the worse version of COD3, etc, the serie continues..

Me neither isn't it just caching it from the HDD?

it has to be loaded into RAM at some point and the Ram is not there.

the game was developed on 360. There is more RAM available on 360. when moving those assets to PS3, they do not have enough RAM to load it onto PS3. Pretty simple math actually.

This was documented in the tech forum here as well by a mulitplat dev, who said the same thing about their game when moving it from 360 to PS3.

Next thing we have is that VF5 for the Xbox 360 will look even better then the PS3 counterpart even though the PS3 supports nVidia card just like the VF5 arcade board. The shoddy PS3 ports continues...

Next thing we have is that VF5 for the Xbox 360 will look even better then the PS3 counterpart even though the PS3 supports nVidia card just like the VF5 arcade board. The shoddy PS3 ports continues...

Shoddy port? The PS3 version is better than the arcade version. It's better than a perfect port.

If for some reason the Xbox360 becomes better it will only because they added improvements to it and will have nothing to do with how "shoddy" the PS3 port was.

Sega has stated clearly that they brought it to PS3 first because it was the cheapest platform to port their arcade game to. It was the closest to the arcade hardware.

Oh wow, that screenshot has the same look FEAR did on my LCD when I had to run it at a non-native resolution(my LCD applies a blur filter to non-native resolutions to mask scaling artifacts).

it has to be loaded into RAM at some point and the Ram is not there.

the game was developed on 360. There is more RAM available on 360. when moving those assets to PS3, they do not have enough RAM to load it onto PS3. Pretty simple math actually.

This was documented in the tech forum here as well by a mulitplat dev, who said the same thing about their game when moving it from 360 to PS3.

hmm? How much memory do the parts like armor etc take? sounds weird. Also is it normal that everything should be loaded in RAM? How about streaming like taking out of RAM whatever is unnecessary?

Not everything will be displayied in every scene. Right?

You forgot this part.

"We're told that the final version of the game features enhanced visuals and a better framerate, and we believe it will"

Now there is something to rely on :)

Perhaos this one shouldnt necessarilly be the "worse" version

In regards to Oblivion, surely some of it could be cached to the standard harddrive if they were able to make it run on the Xbox360 platform where they didn't necessarily have this pleasure.

As for this thread, I think the title is a little too provocative in and of itself, but even more so considering the topics were already being discussed in separate threads.

hmm? How much memory do the parts like armor etc take? sounds weird. Also is it normal that everything should be loaded in RAM? How about streaming like taking out of RAM whatever is unnecessary?

Not everything will be displayied in every scene. Right?

Its very possible some of the visuals addons could be, yes. At some point it would have to be loaded into the memory. While I do not consider the people at Bethesda to be even close to good coders, this is another area where the PS3 is just hard to work with when compared to the Xbox 360. Jumping through hoops in order to add non-essential parts is not a great way to please a developer of a MAJOR series.

Now there is something to rely on :)

Perhaos this one shouldnt necessarilly be the "worse" version

I believe this is now negated because the Xbox 360 release of the game is going to receive a patch that also bumps ups its visuals a bit. I believe there is a post on this in this forum.

Really this just comes across as another fault of the PS3 "package". Hard to design for and the memory setup just being difficult to work with and possibly being a limited factor. Of course this point will not get argued to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back