Oblivion on 360 gets another patch thanks to PS3 development.

Ok... I'm here beat me to death already :oops:
I'll definately take anything Garnett brings up in the future with tons of salt... I still can't understand what the hell made him say that...

Because the 1up guys know precious little about technical things. Really, they make gross errors like that all the time (one time garnett confused the 360 EDRAM for its regular RAM).

On the flip side, they have PLAYED a shitload more games than say, me. They may not know the hardware but they do play a shitton of software (and going back a long time and tons of different platforms).

Because the 1up guys know precious little about technical things. Really, they make gross errors like that all the time (one time garnett confused the 360 EDRAM for its regular RAM).

On the flip side, they have PLAYED a shitload more games than say, me. They may not know the hardware but they do play a shitton of software (and going back a long time and tons of different platforms).

I agree. Their knowlege about actual games is pretty vast and impressive. Some more than others. And they also have get to cultivate close relationships with the devs and publishers directly. And I'm sure Garnett got to talk 1 on 1 directly with some Bethesda guy for his info. It's just that he completely lacks an ear for this technical stuff.

He completely miss translated or miss understood what they told him. Because it was not something he said in print, but something that was just dumped out in a podcast there was probably no chance for them to go back and do fact checking to make sure they were not miss quoting anyone.

I guess the fact that it was a 1up yours or the 1up show pod cast that is part of the fault. The advantage of that format is that it feels more natural and like just a group of people excited about video games chatting together. But on the other hand it skimps out on some of the fundamentals of good journalism. And you get this kind of fiasco.

Ok... I'm here beat me to death already :oops:
I'll definately take anything Garnett brings up in the future with tons of salt... I still can't understand what the hell made him say that...

Nah, I'm not one to rub anything in anyones face. I don't think it was intentional by Garnett, it was probably just an honest misunderstanding like the guys above said. Like I mentioned earlier, Garnett is a good guy. I just personally wouldn't hold absolutely everything he says as truth.

It's not a fake. It's just an image that someone posted of their unpatched then patched PC version to show, in high detail, what the LOD fix did.

Not that I've got anything to add about the patch itself (I've not picked up the game since I finished it looooong ago) however it seems that they are doing this in readyment for the "Shivering Isles" download thats coming up. I noticed recently that my Gamerscore for this has gone from 1000/1000 to 1000/1250 which shows that they were eager to adopt MS's recent Gamerscore guidelines for downloadable content (in fact, were they pushing for it?).

Heh, Dave, you are such a gamerscore whore. :p

But yeah, they probably had to patch the game to make it compatable with Shivering Isles, and the landscape LOD fix and other tweaks were just carried over from PS3 development.

Back