Gamedaily: Sony open to PS3 price cuts.

Most the HD content available to those $2000 HDTVs don't require an investment of $500.00. The majority of TV viewing doesn't revolve around DVDs so why do you think HD content viewing would be any different?

And playing consoles games don't require a $400 Xbox 360, you can buy a GC for $50, but some people understand high tech = $$. I pay $120/year to watch HD cable, it would be double that if I wanted to record it. So I guess I'm better at fifth grade math and understand BD movie playback + HD gaming for $500 is a deal.

So when do you all figure a ps3 price cut will occur? (either time or unit/mo wise)

I'm starting to warm up to the theory that Sony and Microsoft will keep their fingers on the trigger for the most of the year, both ready for a price cut but neither willing to go ahead first. The 65 nm Cell won't be enough justification for a $100 price cut, and anything less than that isn't viable for a $599 machine - you'd be better off with a bundled game.

So I think it will all depend on the games, but in an opposite direction of what's generally expected. If Sony expects it can bring out attractive titles in the fall, they will combine them with a price cut to try to grow their market share in games. If the titles are disappointing (and Sony execs will know that 2-3 months before their releases), they will resort to the "oh crap. at least we have 10x the HD-DVD installed base" and keep selling the most attractive and cheap Blu-ray player on the planet, under the name of PS3, waiting for the third wave of titles (in 2008) to grow their games share.

I would be happy if they`d drop the HDD and thus let me choose the size I need. Together with 65nm Chips, a 100$ pricecut would be feasible.

And playing consoles games don't require a $400 Xbox 360, you can buy a GC for $50, but some people understand high tech = $$.

And? You can't get 360 performance for $50. However, you can utilize your HDTV and get HD content for free with an antenna in the US so I fail to see your point. Everyone understands high tech = $$ but that doesn't automatically equal great value.

I pay $120/year to watch HD cable, it would be double that if I wanted to record it. So I guess I'm better at fifth grade math and understand BD movie playback + HD gaming for $500 is a deal.

Doesn't matter what you consider a deal when looking at the market as a whole if you don't represent the majority. You could have a doctorate in math and not consider BD movie playback + HD gaming for $500.00 a deal, if the only reason you bought a HDTV flatscreen is to create a more space in your livingroom and watch the discovery channel in HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow, I don't think SONY really cares about how low the PS3 sales are in JPN ATM. I'm sure they're more thrilled at the fact that there's *that* many BD Players out there in the market. Nintendo has pretty much taken over JPN right now, so as long they're selling PS3's, they're happy. I still think the desire is there, but not the finances for it to materialize. Once SONY lower their prices, we should start to see these JPN figures take a turn for the better.

Same thing over here. I have many friends that would love to buy a PS3 at launch, but just don't have the $$$! Maybe they'll wait, maybe they'll save, or maybe they'll finance it. Either way, they'll own a PS3 *eventually*!

Somehow, I don't think SONY really cares about how low the PS3 sales are in JPN ATM. I'm sure they're more thrilled at the fact that there's *that* many BD Players out there in the market. Nintendo has pretty much taken over JPN right now, so as long they're selling PS3's, they're happy. I still think the desire is there, but not the finances for it to materialize. Once SONY lower their prices, we should start to see these JPN figures take a turn for the better.

Same thing over here. I have many friends that would love to buy a PS3 at launch, but just don't have the $$$! Maybe they'll wait, maybe they'll save, or maybe they'll finance it. Either way, they'll own a PS3 *eventually*!

I know they care they would of not lowered the price before launch. They know if sales don't pick up they could lose some key exclusives like the FF series. If sony loses its big eastern exclusives they are in big trouble IMO. That is the only thing they have left as MS has done a great job of getting previous PS western exclusives like GTA on the the 360. Sony has already lost DQ9 which had to hurt they could lose a lot more soon if sales stay so low. Also lets not forget how important momentum is in this industry. The PS2 took it early momentum and it snowballed into sony wiping the floor with every one else. Nintendo lost momentum in the N64 days and it took a near decade to get it back. The DSL was not always kicking so much as but once it got momentum from nintendogs and brain training it has steamrolled the PSP. It is very hard to regain momentum IMO and even harder to derail the product that has all the momentum.

this is what many many people seem to forget, this is also the reason for such slow sales after xmas.

Jan, is always a hard month for many. There's no way most people can easily shell out $600 for the PS3 right now.

HOWEVER, that does not mean they do not plan on owning one eventually. Sony knows this, which is why they haven't panicked yet.

If by E3, PS3 sales are still slow, then they may look to announce a price cut (which i think is coming regardless of how much they sell by E3). The price cut many not be anything substantial, possibly $50 less on each and possibly another free blu-ray movie.

Sony will be able to afford this, remember the price of production is dropping steadily, and there is great need to move these systems that they are mass producing.

I think 4mil by E3 is easily possible and close to 10mil by xmas is not bad at all, hardly making the PS3 a failure. And furthermore, when the big PS3 games come out in 2k8, a price drop making the PS3 (atleast the 20gb) model available for $399 will start moving systems like crazy, and it will be the PS1 and PS2 all over again.

I'm surprised how many people don't see this. You expect millions of PS3 fans to pass up playing the new MGS, GT, Tekken, FF, R&C, KZ, DMC, GoW, not mention the host of AA first and second party games like heavenly sword etc? Get real.

The reasons sales are so slow right now is simply because of the $600 price, no huge game out yet and that its Jan, the slowest sales month of the year.

I'm surprised how many people don't see this. You expect millions of PS3 fans to pass up playing the new MGS, GT, Tekken, FF, R&C, KZ, DMC, GoW, not mention the host of AA first and second party games like heavenly sword etc? Get real.

The reasons sales are so slow right now is simply because of the $600 price, no huge game out yet and that its Jan, the slowest sales month of the year.

Agreed - Sales are slow because of the high price and lack of software. If both of these issues did not exist then ps3 sales would resemble ps2's. However I still doubt it would be as dominant as many gamers and non-gamers are buying into wii and 360 is much more attractive than xbox1. Also the timing of console releases is significantly different this gen vs last gen.

Add the above with significantly higher price and a software library that is lacking and you have current ps3 sales.

While I agree sales will pick up for the platform when it hits below $300 and key titles appear on the system I think time is Sony's biggest issue right now. If they could magically have these things happen this year then I'd agree that sales of ps3 would have a good shot of repeating ps2 like levels. Problem is this is unlikely to happen. By the time they get to mainstream pricing and have a bolstered game library Wii and xb360 will have well established themselves. Hardcore playstation fans will still buy ps3 of corse and casual fans would too I imagine but only when the price is right.

this is what many many people seem to forget, this is also the reason for such slow sales after xmas.

Jan, is always a hard month for many. There's no way most people can easily shell out $600 for the PS3 right now.

HOWEVER, that does not mean they do not plan on owning one eventually. Sony knows this, which is why they haven't panicked yet.

If by E3, PS3 sales are still slow, then they may look to announce a price cut (which i think is coming regardless of how much they sell by E3). The price cut many not be anything substantial, possibly $50 less on each and possibly another free blu-ray movie.

Sony will be able to afford this, remember the price of production is dropping steadily, and there is great need to move these systems that they are mass producing.

I think 4mil by E3 is easily possible and close to 10mil by xmas is not bad at all, hardly making the PS3 a failure. And furthermore, when the big PS3 games come out in 2k8, a price drop making the PS3 (atleast the 20gb) model available for $399 will start moving systems like crazy, and it will be the PS1 and PS2 all over again.

It has happned to others millions of nintendo fans passed up mario,zelda ect the last 2 generations. Also if sales don't pick up some of those games on the list could very well be ported to other systems to make back the development costs.

"PS1 and PS2" didn't happen at $399 - more like $199. Do you believe we'll see a PS3 for $199 in 2008?

Half of those - MGS, Tekken, FF and DMC - are third-party, therefore not secured as exclusive. I expect millions of Playstation fans - I don't think the "PS3 fans" contingent is large enough already - to keep waiting for an affordable PS3 before they play their favorite sequels. Third-party publishers who rush releasing before the drop to $199 will risk selling to a relatively small market.

It's all in Sony's hands: they can either make life livable for third parties by sucking up massive losses and letting the console reach mass-market, or pull wondergames out of their secret pocket which will make people forget the sticker shock. Both are possible, both seem unlikely.

If PS3 fails put the blame on Mr. Kuturagi and his Blu-Ray.

I'm 100% positive that if the PS3 didn't have the Blu-Ray the system could of easily sell for 399 and dominate their competitors once again. But no, they had to make things tough on themshelves. It like every day the pile of bad news just keeps stacking up.

Now I question myself, what's going to happen to them in the near future. Pull out of the console business? Go bankrupt? Recent news surface that they are currently taking a 2 billion hit.

I know it's premature to think the console has already failed. But damn, right now nothing is going good for them.

I'm 100% positive that if the PS3 didn't have the Blu-Ray the system could of easily sell for 399 and dominate their competitors once again. But no, they had to make things tough on themshelves. It like every day the pile of bad news just keeps stacking up.
Mr Kutaragi and his Blu-Ray have nothing to do with the bad news that *just keeps stacking up*. Where's all this bad news you're referring to?

Now I question myself, what's going to happen to them in the near future. Pull out of the console business? Go bankrupt? Recent news surface that they are currently taking a 2 billion hit.
You don't seem to have any idea about Mr Kutaragi's (or SONY as a whole) motivation for including Blu-Ray in every PS3. It's a gamble, but one that if successful (meaning: Blu-Ray becomes the next standard following the DVD), will bring more revenue for SONY than just the gaming division. You may not agree with their tactics, but it's a decision that had to be made if Blu-Ray was gonna be successful.

I know it's premature to think the console has already failed. But damn, right now nothing is going good for them.
Exactly! Right now - as in, 3 months after launch (in only Japan & US). I think the only thing you can be 100% positive about, is that all this doom and gloom talk is definitely premature!

If BR becomes the dominant format Sony stands to gain considerably more revenue from it than they ever would a PS generation. I doubt Sony expected this luke warm reception but I would say they realized that the high price tag would greatly affect their sales.

LOL Bronx beat me

It's all in Sony's hands: they can either make life livable for third parties by sucking up massive losses and letting the console reach mass-market, or pull wondergames out of their secret pocket which will make people forget the sticker shock. Both are possible, both seem unlikely.
Are you sure?

Because if they're losing, say, $100 per console right now @ $600, how much "sucking up massive losses" do you think is ideal if they sold the PS3 @ $400? For every 1million PS3's they sell, that's a loss of $300million! And that's only 1mil consoles. To reach a market of, say, 10mil., they'd be up shit's creek for sure! Would you make that call if you were Stringer?

Exactly! Right now - as in, 3 months after launch (in only Japan & US). I think the only thing you can be 100% positive about, is that all this doom and gloom talk is definitely premature!

premature talk from immature posters. Sounds ok. ;)

Are you sure?

Because if they're losing, say, $100 per console right now @ $600, how much "sucking up massive losses" do you think is ideal if they sold the PS3 @ $400? For every 1million PS3's they sell, that's a loss of $300million! And that's only 1mil consoles. To reach a market of, say, 10mil., they'd be up shit's creek for sure! Would you make that call if you were Stringer?

Isn't that exactly the point? They can't cut the price by that sort of amount, but they also don't have a large number of AAA titles this year. By 2008, it may be too late to rebuild the sort of momentum needed to compete. I think most people can accept that there is a certain snowball effect at work each time around, and a combination of price, units in the market and games on sale tends to push the console on, each leading to the other factors. Currently, 360 has 2 of those (Units and games) and is on the way to the third once the price is cut. Wii has 1 (price) and if current sales continue, a healthy number of units in the market will make it 2. PS3 is expensive, lacks games and also lacks units. It needs one of them to kick start the others, and right now, it's either plenty of games or price, as Assen said.

Isn't that exactly the point? They can't cut the price by that sort of amount, but they also don't have a large number of AAA titles this year. By 2008, it may be too late to rebuild the sort of momentum needed to compete. I think most people can accept that there is a certain snowball effect at work each time around, and a combination of price, units in the market and games on sale tends to push the console on, each leading to the other factors. Currently, 360 has 2 of those (Units and games) and is on the way to the third once the price is cut. Wii has 1 (price) and if current sales continue, a healthy number of units in the market will make it 2. PS3 is expensive, lacks games and also lacks units. It needs one of them to kick start the others, and right now, it's either plenty of games or price, as Assen said.
I was replying to his comment about price cuts being possible (see original quote). But anyways...

Firstly, by 2008, the PS3 will only be 1yr old. I don't think that's too late to start building up momentum to compete. The games that are being developed for the PS3 is quite appealing, and if SONY can reduce the consoles price, that will be a good start. I don't doubt that they have an uphill battle on their hands, but I also think that it's far too early to really say what the market really wants.

Secondly, I believe that by the end of this gen, the PS3 will have the highest number of games. So one of those 3 factors you speak of should take care of itself.

Back