Cell 65nm production started

Ragnarok

Newcomer
65nm CELL processor production started

Sony Computer Entertainment has started production on the previously announced 65nm CELL processor. All PlayStation 3 units so far have a 90nm processor inside, but this will change soon. As it seems Sony has started the massproduction of the 65nm processor, and this will have a few advantages.

First of all, this will mean a price cut for Sony on every PlayStation 3 sold. This is because the 65nm CELL processor is cheaper than the 90nm processor.

And second, this means a heatreduction for the PlayStation 3.

Also this 'new' processor is not only for the PlayStation 3, it's will also be used for more Sony or Toshiba products.

Whether this new 65nm processor will be in all PlayStation 3 units at the European launch is unknown. We expect Sony to announce this in the coming months. Don't expect a price drop though, because Sony will still lose a lot of money with this 'new' processor.

http://www.psu.com/node/7409

LOL, mckmas asked "when," not "if" Ant1.

No reason to freak out. ;)

It'll probably go in as soon as yields are sufficient to warrant a new revision of the PS3. As time goes on, smaller process nodes will enable not only the sourcing of cheaper chips themselves, but of less expensive cooling, power supplies, casing, etc etc... initial 65nm will probably keep it simple though, and change the chip and voltage alone.

i read when as why. english ain't my primary lang and i often have reading/writing/listening problems
i will delete post :LOL:

anyway, apologies if it offended you

Wouldn't they want to move the RSX to 65 nm too?

You figure they'd want to integrate as many lower-cost revisions into a new design, like also remove the GS/EE and do SW BC, maybe find some ways to reduce the BD-ROM components too.

Wouldn't they want to move the RSX to 65 nm too?

You figure they'd want to integrate as many lower-cost revisions into a new design, like also remove the GS/EE and do SW BC, maybe find some ways to reduce the BD-ROM components too.

Because it's not that easy? CPU's are ahead of GPU's generally in process tech. Intel is the leader and they are already making inroads at 45nm, where ATI and Nvidia are only at 80nm at best.

Anyways, this shows Sony is a good bit ahead of microsoft here, eh? Who actually fabs Cell?

Because it's not that easy? CPU's are ahead of GPU's generally in process tech. Intel is the leader and they are already making inroads at 45nm, where ATI and Nvidia are only at 80nm at best.

Anyways, this shows Sony is a good bit ahead of microsoft here, eh? Who actually fabs Cell?

IBM East Fishkill - 90nm
Sony at Nagasaki - 65nm

GPU makers have access to smaller nodes when they become available to them; generally they lag the 'leaders' due to their reliance on OEM fabs. But there's nothing inherently different in the technologies, and I would expect RSX to get shrunk as soon as it's ready.

Cell is beign fabbed at 65nm via an SOI process at both East Fishkill and Sony's Nagasaki, so if that's what's ready now, that's why we see Cell first. RSX is on the bulk CMOS process, also fabbed by Sony, and will be moved to 65nm doubtless as soon as said process is also ready.

Different lines though, that's what needs to be kept in mind.

I believe there is some difference in the difficulty of GPU/CPU fabbing as well. I've picked that up from a few posts here.

GPU's are much bigger, if nothing else. Big CPU's tend to be a lot of cache relative, GPU's are mostly logic besides larger. Also, GPU's are generally designed in a less custom, more modular manner (not sure if this matter though),

I believe there is some difference in the difficulty of GPU/CPU fabbing as well. I've picked that up from a few posts here.

The difficulties you speak to are real in a sense, but they don't stem innately from something being a 'GPU' vs a 'CPU.' Like you said, die size, and defect tolerence that are the main determiners. For the purposes of RSX and Cell though, seriously, as soon as the process is ready, RSX will be on it.

The difficulties you speak to are real in a sense, but they don't stem innately from something being a 'GPU' vs a 'CPU.' Like you said, die size, and defect tolerence that are the main determiners. For the purposes of RSX and Cell though, seriously, as soon as the process is ready, RSX will be on it.

Why isn't RSX on 65nm then, eh?

Edit: I realize what you're going to say "because the process isn't ready" but it just seems a bit odd that coincidentally the process isn't ready on the GPU, but it is ready on the CPU.

Edit: I realize what you're going to say "because the process isn't ready" but it just seems a bit odd that coincidentally the process isn't ready on the GPU, but it is ready on the CPU.

You don't just shrink die sizes without thought. You need to produce a whole new set of masks, which is cost dependant (GPUs sell less, therefore mask is a significant cost, so you don't make the thing as quick)! As Cell is intended to be used in everything from your fridge to your PS3, it is economical because the cost can be amortized over all devices.

Also, on a non-economical view, shrinking components does introduce electrical considerations...

Rangers I think you're a little confused. I'm talking about an entirely different 65nm process - bulk CMOS vs SOI. The SOI is ready (and we don't even know if it's Nagasaki or just Fishkill from these articles), and that's what Cell is to be fabbed on. The CMOS is seemingly not, and that's what RSX is to be fabbed on. It's not that one is a GPU and one a CPU;, we're talking about entire fabrication lines here with associated - and seperate - R&D... chip independent.

To note, the 65nm CMOS process is the one both PSP and PS2 components (should EE+GS enjoy another shrink) will be fabbed on as well.

Hmmm i was planning on buying my PS3 at launch here in europe.. does the article give any hints on for how long they have been producing them?

Back