Double Dragon Gets A New Look For XBLA

Don't you dare even think about raping Metal Slug with this kind of an art style..

Please. I think it's kind of neat. Stop being dramatic. And if anyone out there thinks Metal Slug couldn't go for a revamping in graphics, you're truly dilusional.

Please. I think it's kind of neat. Stop being dramatic. And if anyone out there thinks Metal Slug couldn't go for a revamping in graphics, you're truly dilusional.

If its going for a similar change as in THIS, then ofcourse we are going to be dramatic. Metal Slag is all about dirty looks. Make it clean and crisp and it will look like a totally different game...for the worse

If its going for a similar change as in THIS, then ofcourse we are going to be dramatic. Metal Slag is all about dirty looks. Make it clean and crisp and it will look like a totally different game...for the worse

Hardly. If it retained it's two dimensional side scrolling value, it could be phenomenal. I'm not saying make the game 3D, but I hardly enjoy playing a game where the characters look like Tetris blocks.

Hardly. If it retained it's two dimensional side scrolling value, it could be phenomenal. I'm not saying make the game 3D, but I hardly enjoy playing a game where the characters look like Tetris blocks.

I am not referring to 3D. As I said Metal Slug has followed a "dirty" look in its style. Take that out and it wont be the same game.

I am not referring to 3D. As I said Metal Slug has followed a "dirty" look in its style. Take that out and it wont be the same game.

"Dirty" meaning "extremely pixellated", then sure.

Sign me up. The art is improved, and I'd like to see the same with MS as well. If you can turn it off like you apparently can with this title, everyone wins.

for the record, i don't like the new art. it looks like a bad Flash game now, instead of a stylized, 8-bit chunky classic. However, if they include both art styles in the package, then that's fantastic. It gives us all something new to play with (perhaps i'd like it more in motion, or on a giant TV?), and perhaps it's more palatable to kids (or more recent gaming-converted adults?) who weren't raised on rough pixels?

"Dirty" meaning "extremely pixellated", then sure.

Sign me up. The art is improved, and I'd like to see the same with MS as well. If you can turn it off like you apparently can with this title, everyone wins.

The art changed in DD. They should have added more darker textures and shadings. Metal Slag has enough detail as it is despite the minor pixelation. Trying to make the art look crispier may result to a sacrifice in some detail

Now this is why I support XBLA over just dumping a rom into an eumlator. More classic games should recieve this treatment. Definitely be picking this up.

roms just dumped in an emulator look much like this (expect for the changed art), you have to use a scaling method such as "HQ 3x" (available in ZSNES and Nestopia). The NES version of Double Dragon 2 looks cool that way. (also, double dragon 2 is great while 1 and 3 are shit. well, at least on NES. Is that an arcade version here?)

Sure, all graphics can be revamped, but what they've done to Double Dragon here is a god damn disgrace. Everyone I've shown it to has expressed their disgust.

But like most things, in the end it's a matter of taste.. even tho my taste is better than yours ;)

Horrible! - it lost implied detail. A mix of the two might provide better results depending on the graphic.

From some of the graphics though it does not look like a simple algorithm though. Look at the barrel in these shots:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/025/938006_20070126_screen003.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/025/938006_20070126_screen004.jpg

More telling is the critter on the barrel against the wall. In the original shot it's a cat, but in the redone shot it's... A BEAR! AAAAAAARGH

For the record, the new res rocks but the new art on the characters is atrocious.

roms just dumped in an emulator look much like this (expect for the changed art), you have to use a scaling method such as "HQ 3x" (available in ZSNES and Nestopia). The NES version of Double Dragon 2 looks cool that way. (also, double dragon 2 is great while 1 and 3 are shit. well, at least on NES. Is that an arcade version here?)

Yes thats the arcade version.

Back