Why are games not 768p native?

It's easier and cheaper to manufacture the lcd's this way based on the way the factories are set up.

Example: Take a 1024x768 XGA panel. Is it easer to directly scale this to a 16x9 display be extending it horizontally to 1366 pixels, or would it be easer to have to modify both the height (down to 720) and the width (up to 1280 pixels)?
That's just the thing, isn't it?
However, does this still properly justify a 32" LCD TV with 1366x768? Computer monitors simply are not that large, they aren't built for the same viewing distances. The panel alone is 16" high (*cough*; probably more for a supporting frame). it simply can't be healthy to put such a high monitor onto a desk you're sitting directly in front of -- your neck will hate you.

These panels are pretty much TV-only.

That helps, and not having to downsample 1080 line content as much helps as well, and if the screen is paired with a good scaler then a little upscaling helps too.

Who is still buying 1024x768 monitors?

It's not a matter of who's still buying the 1024x768 (though I am pretty sure there's still some buyers), it's about what production facilities are still in place. If you can reuse it, you'll reuse it to lower your costs.

Another reason why there will not be 1366x768 native games is that most LCD TV's do not accept this resolution over HDMI or Component, so there would be no way tp get it out of the PS3 anyway.

I think he talking about the very very common 1366x768 panels made for TVs - and I am not talking about el-cheapo manufacturers, not about panels made for PC-monitors.

I think you didnt understand what he just said.

The tv's that have 768p are that resolution because of a el-cheapo manufacturing hack

Because it's not a TV resolution, and the primary use of TVs is to display TV content at TV resolution. 768p is fine for PC displays, but not TVs. They should be making 768p panels for monitors, and 720p panels for 720p TVs.

Easy solution then, include a pc mode and a TV mode, and have the tv mode just turn off the extra pixels.

Or if people don't like black bars, hide the extra pixels behind plastic and leave them off.

BTW, the xbox 360 has a scaler to output in 1366x768 I believe, though only over VGA I'd guess. (though my video card can scale 1366x768 to 720p and output, but I suppose resolution is still lost doing that) Honestly, I don't think there'd be any way to make a game output 768p since it's not in the component cable spec anyway, no electronics would recognize it.

If the consoles could handle it (can they?), the game developers should easily be able to add a native 1366x768 option as an alternative to the 1280x720. It works on PC's, why shouldn't it work on the PS3 and XBox360?!?

I do agree that 1366x768 for TV's makes no sense, but now this is the most common resolution so why not support in in the consoles then?!? Not all TV's support this resolution over HDMI and component though; only VGA.

Per

If the consoles could handle it (can they?), the game developers should easily be able to add a native 1366x768 option as an alternative to the 1280x720. It works on PC's, why shouldn't it work on the PS3 and XBox360?!?

higher resolution = bigger framebuffer.

They can handle it, however, it is a performance hit AND it also causes difficulties with the eDRAM for the X360. (Tiles will be of different sizes)

I do agree that 1366x768 for TV's makes no sense, but now this is the most common resolution so why not support in in the consoles then?!? Not all TV's support this resolution over HDMI and component though; only VGA.

Per

Xbox 360 could easily scale to that resolution, but what TV's component video circuitry (or even VGA) would accept that resolution? Generally, HDTVs only support 480p (and below), 720p, and 1080i (and possibly 1080p). Feed it 768p and you'll get an out of range error.

And here I was thinking that the 768 resolution on TVs in the EU existed simply because the PAL standard scales better to it ... am I wrong? It's the same for 1080p, in Europe you get more than that.

I think more is better - even when you do not upscale and leave a few lines black instead, you're not going to notice that most of the time. In the meantime, it does help with using your TV as a monitor, as I'm doing now testing Fedora Core 6 on an old Pentium 4 I got for free from my old job. Unfortunately it doesn't seem capable of widescreen resolutions just yet (stupid Intel onboard graphics ;) ), and I can't even get the 1024x768 resolution in anything other than 75hz yet, which my TV doesn't like, so right now I'm running 800x600 :S - but hey, the thing scales it wonderfully, so at least I get to admire that part of the TVs capability. ;)

Where can i find pictures of

720p video stretched on a 1920x1080 TV
720p video 1:1 aspect on a 1366x768 TV
720p video stretched on a 1366x768 TV

Thanks. :)

720p, 1366x768 and 1920x1080 are all 16:9 aspect ratio, an scaling quality is highly varable between various TVs.

Back