Strangest consoles ever made

*shudders* just looking at the consoles-turned handhelds make me say "how the **** can anyone play with buttons arranged like that? :| "

Talk about an uncomfortable experience :nope:

I saw this a while back. For most of those consoles I'd rather use a PSP emulator. Plus I found it really stupid that the "portable" PS2 uses disks instead of an HD loader of some sort. And I think he made it before the small PS2 came out, so it's quite rubbish IMO.

I saw this a while back. For most of those consoles I'd rather use a PSP emulator. Plus I found it really stupid that the "portable" PS2 uses disks instead of an HD loader of some sort. And I think he made it before the small PS2 came out, so it's quite rubbish IMO.
Philistine! It's not a matter of commercailly viable products or anything of the like. It's people having a hobby in making crazy portables from large consoles.

Myself, I'm in awe of the quality of these things. Despite looking like dubious industrial designs, the build quality looks like something you could buy in a shop. Do this guys work for companies that create prototypes or somesuch?

Also, do they take the innards of the consoles at full siz\e, or do they build their own mobos sometimes using modern smaller components?

Philistine! It's not a matter of commercailly viable products or anything of the like. It's people having a hobby in making crazy portables from large consoles.

Myself, I'm in awe of the quality of these things. Despite looking like dubious industrial designs, the build quality looks like something you could buy in a shop. Do this guys work for companies that create prototypes or somesuch?

Also, do they take the innards of the consoles at full siz\e, or do they build their own mobos sometimes using modern smaller components?

Yes, I'm quite aware they're not about commercial success, but there's something to be said about playability. They usually use design software for coming up with the case and then they have it professionally made by someone else. They do not build their own mobos (at least not for the consoles like dreamcast or PS1/2), but use the full size console ones. Which is why I said it was stupid to use the big PS2 instead of the smaller revision like the guy did (obviously he did it before it came out, but I believe by that time it was already announced). Also leaving the disc drive seemed pretty stupid to me. If you're spending over $500 to make a portable PS2 you might as well try to make it portable, that's all I'm saying.

That NES+Genesis one could've been saved a lot of work if they had gotten Yuji Naka to help. He developed the first emulator back when he got Famicom games running on the Megadrive as a hobby project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to play River Raid on that thing.

Me too. Favorite 2600 game.

Would be cool if somebody tried to make portable PCjr too. That way I could sell my system and still use my PCjr versions of River Raid, Pitfall 2 and Demon Attack.

Tommy McClain

Back