Japan Sales Thread *renamed

It seems as if the PS3 has finally come alive in Japan. Once FFXIII, MGS4, and GT5 are out over there Sony will probably be able to pull away from the pack. I don't think they'll overtake MS in NA this generation and Europe is going to be a battle, but they'll end up ok in Japan IMO.

I wouldnt say that yet, they had the new model, the cheaper price and the new color so its not that strange if that will have some effect for a few weeks. On the software department little has changed so there isnt really a good reason for sales to keep +/- tripple of what they were. OTOH it might be that even though there isnt alot of software yet the price is now right for more people, afterall its only little over 300 euro's at the moment.

I wouldnt say that yet, they had the new model, the cheaper price and the new color so its not that strange if that will have some effect for a few weeks. On the software department little has changed so there isnt really a good reason for sales to keep +/- tripple of what they were. OTOH it might be that even though there isnt alot of software yet the price is now right for more people, afterall its only little over 300 euro's at the moment.
It does buy them some time. Next year is when many of the big name Japanese titles will hit and even though there is still a limited library people who couldn't afford a PS3 before will likely go back to check out some of the older titles.

I understand your point but this still doen't take away from the fact that the console is currently selling better than the Wii in this territory.. A competitor who only up until recently has pretty much trounce all over everything saleswise (& over the PS3 by a significant margin)..

Call it what you want but we're nearing the holiday & one would have expected Wii sales to sky-rocket at this point.. Mario is out, Metriod is out & with Wii fit on the way it would be just about that time you'd expect the platform to be hitting stratospheric weekly sales figures leading upto the xmas rush..

It just seems a little bewildering that a price cut (not dropping the console below Wii pricing nor yet putting it at the "sweet spot" mass market price point), colour change & Mousou game could, on their own, raise PS3 sales figures above that of the platform that is widely accepted to be "destroying all competition"..

In any case it's a bit early to judge yet so I bet Feb 08 sales figures will be the ones to give us a true figure of whether or not a "PS3 come back" is really on the horizon..

I understand your point but this still doen't take away from the fact that the console is currently selling better than the Wii in this territory.. A competitor who only up until recently has pretty much trounce all over everything saleswise (& over the PS3 by a significant margin)..

Call it what you want but we're nearing the holiday & one would have expected Wii sales to sky-rocket at this point.. Mario is out, Metriod is out & with Wii fit on the way it would be just about that time you'd expect the platform to be hitting stratospheric weekly sales figures leading upto the xmas rush..

It just seems a little bewildering that a price cut (not dropping the console below Wii pricing nor yet putting it at the "sweet spot" mass market price point), colour change & Mousou game could, on their own, raise PS3 sales figures above that of the platform that is widely accepted to be "destroying all competition"..

In any case it's a bit early to judge yet so I bet Feb 08 sales figures will be the ones to give us a true figure of whether or not a "PS3 come back" is really on the horizon..

I don't think the holidays in Japan has ever had anywhere near the impact of Xmas sales in NA. The Wii had been on a decline for a while, the PS3 still isn't to the point where the wii was in Japan months ago, despite the price cut and new models.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does buy them some time. Next year is when many of the big name Japanese titles will hit and even though there is still a limited library people who couldn't afford a PS3 before will likely go back to check out some of the older titles.

Hmm I dont know. Shelflife in japan is very short what I heard about it and given how Wii and especially DS software sells alot better store owners probably want to dedicate more space to those. Besides that I think generally people dont look towards the older titels that much.

Yes it is kinda ''bad'' for nintendo that SMG didnt do anything for the hardware sales, though it could be because 3d mario never did that great in Japan. The 3d MP series isnt populair in Japan either and I dont think the game is even out there. It will be interresting to see what Wii fit will do.

But I do think the ps3 is probably on the up side.

The 40GB model is about 38k¥ at Amazon.jp, which is not little over 300€, it's about 240€

Now that will explain alot I suppose, 240euro's thats just dirt cheap. They probably all stacking up for a cheap BR player now that soon the adult movies will be coming out on BR :LOL:

But seriously, such a price probably does alot, its just very low. Even if you have little interrest in the ps3 at that price you can easily justify it if there is one or two games you want and want a BR player. Even I would buy a ps3 at that price without a doubt and the only game im really looking forward to is GT5.

A day earlier than normal

Code:
Console	Aantal	Vorige week	Totaal 2007	Totaal
NDS	76.084	78.884	6.037.183	20.042.862
PSP	65.609	58.964	2.310.547	6.842.676
PS3	39.178	55.924	883.746	1.341.304
Wii	36.230	34.546	2.896.660	3.816.303
PS2	8.855	9.043	667.628	20.882.487
360	6.525	5.817	195.241	459.943
GBA	262	923	50.165	15.348.244
NGC	38	69	10.341	4.179.809

Seems like the ps3 had a spike because of the new model and lower price afterall but maybe the ps3 will start hovering around this point?

A day earlier than normal

Code:
Console	Aantal	Vorige week	Totaal 2007	Totaal
NDS	76.084	78.884	6.037.183	20.042.862
PSP	65.609	58.964	2.310.547	6.842.676
PS3	39.178	55.924	883.746	1.341.304
Wii	36.230	34.546	2.896.660	3.816.303
PS2	8.855	9.043	667.628	20.882.487
360	6.525	5.817	195.241	459.943
GBA	262	923	50.165	15.348.244
NGC	38	69	10.341	4.179.809

Seems like the ps3 had a spike because of the new model and lower price afterall but maybe the ps3 will start hovering around this point?

NDS 76.084
PSP 65.609

PSP doing amazingly.

There was a new FF game for the psp I believe so that probably helps a bit but it defenitly seems that since the psp lite sales have gone up, atleast on the hardware part.

Very nice PS3 numbers again. It would be great for a HD machine to succeed in Japan, simply because it means more quality "traditional" Japanese games released by Japanese publishers.

1st day

DQ4 - 360,000 (70%)
Mega Man Star Force 2 - 40,000
Dino King (DS) - 40,000

PES 2008
PS2 - 155,000
PS3 - 107,000
360 - 7,000

FF XI
PS2 - 71,000
360 - 4,000

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - 15,000

Why is there such a massive difference between PS3 numbers in Famitsu and MediaCreate? Surely one of them has to be wrong..

Why is there such a massive difference between PS3 numbers in Famitsu and MediaCreate? Surely one of them has to be wrong..

My understanding is that they each use a different pool of stores to get their numbers. Famitsu has more "hard core" game stores and MediaCreate uses more "average" stores. I think, if this is true, it would explain higher numbers for the Xbox from Famitsu.

Back