Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Oh god! That Ratchet number is depressing!

But then I guess it only went on sale Sunday. So the other titles on the list had more time on shelves. Maybe next weeks numbers will actually be better for Ratchet?

Price drop is 5000 yen less than the 20 GB model, which received a 5000 yen drop in October.
The most interesting race here is not just PS3 versus Wii, but Sony versus Nintendo. Sony are actually in spitting distance of combined console & handheld sales from Nintendo's previously unassailable combination!

I dont know if you can spit a million miles but otherwise I wouldnt exactly say sony is getting closer to nintendo. All they do is letting the gap grow at a lesser rate. You cant keep selling 100+k DS a week, you'll run out of people to sell them to at some point. Not to mention nintendo keeps selling truckloads of software on DS unlike psp.

Ps3 and wii are a slightly different story. Wii sold at a insane rate while it didnt had any real games you'd buy the console for at the time so its not very strange its dropping. Sony is selling more ps3's (not very strange given the price, its only about 300 euro's I believe) but still no software. Nintendo doesnt sell huge Wii software numbers but atleast a big game like SMG managed 250k or so in 1 day while R&C, the same kind of game, came in at #15 and that cant be more than a couple of K.

Oh, btw, what the hell is mariokart DS doing in that list?

I dont know if you can spit a million miles but otherwise I wouldnt exactly say sony is getting closer to nintendo. All they do is letting the gap grow at a lesser rate. You cant keep selling 100+k DS a week, you'll run out of people to sell them to at some point. Not to mention nintendo keeps selling truckloads of software on DS unlike psp.

Agreed.

Ps3 and wii are a slightly different story. Wii sold at a insane rate while it didnt had any real games you'd buy the console for at the time so its not very strange its dropping. Sony is selling more ps3's (not very strange given the price, its only about 300 euro's I believe) but still no software. Nintendo doesnt sell huge Wii software numbers but atleast a big game like SMG managed 250k or so in 1 day while R&C, the same kind of game, came in at #15 and that cant be more than a couple of K.

You can't exactly say that R&C has the same standing as SMG in Japan, or that the console has been selling to the platformer demographic so far. Therefore it is more useful to look at the number 2 selling game, which is also PS3: Mosou (Dynasty Warriors)

Which in itself is interesting, because there's little in Wii to reduce and make savings on. The CPU is tiny, so a switch to 65nm isn't going to make big savings there. The drive is DVD, standard, no cost reductions to be had there. Seems to me that Wii cannot be cost reduced effectively, and any price reductions will come at the cost of Nintendo's profits per unit. A $50 off pricepoint may spur sales, but will also lose Nintendo that load of profits, which is why they'll remain hesitant to drop prices.

I would be hesitant to drop prices too when my competitors haven't shown the ability to compete enough to hamper my sales. Put the Wii in a different enviroment, one where its in third place, and you wouldn't see a $250.00 Wii. The Wii is the one console that probably sold no where near cost.

The Wii represent a minor evolution of GC tech. We are talking technology that at 180nm was sold in a $199.00 console during launch (6 years ago) and relatively close to cost.

The $250 price tag of the Wii was set by the competition's inability to release at historical launch prices and not by actual manufacturing cost.

Furthermore, the majority of the software sold by the Wii is first party and are cheaper to develop, which means the Wii tends to recoup more profit per software unit sold then Sony or the 360. Thus giving Nintendo greater flexibility if it is forced to subsidizes due to dropping its console's price below manufacturing costs.

Nintendo is in better position than either MS or Sony if a price war ensues due to greater competition.

Agreed.

You can't exactly say that R&C has the same standing as SMG in Japan, or that the console has been selling to the platformer demographic so far. Therefore it is more useful to look at the number 2 selling game, which is also PS3: Mosou (Dynasty Warriors)

I could agree with that. Still, whats up with Japan and platformers? You'd think games like smg and R&C would be alot more populair. Seems they like 2d platformers alot more than 3d platformers.

From Neogaf:

Famitsu

DSL 82000
Wii 35000
PSP 55000
PS2 9400
PS3 56000
360 7000

1.Mario Party DS 242000
2.Musou PS3 176000
3.SMG 78000(335000)
4.Musou360 27000
5.FFTA2 24000(235000)
6.Castlevania PSP 20000
7.Wii Sports 18000(2091000)
8.西村サス 16000(112000)
9.Wii Play 15000(1648000)
10.Mario Kart DS 13000(2528000)

15.Ratchet & Clank Future 11000

what in the world is Musou

Oh god! That Ratchet number is depressing!

But then I guess it only went on sale Sunday. So the other titles on the list had more time on shelves. Maybe next weeks numbers will actually be better for Ratchet?
was R&C ever big in Japan? i thought it was only popular in Europe and N.A.

Rejection

was R&C ever big in Japan? i thought it was only popular in Europe and N.A.

No. But there was a pretty strong co-marketing campagin for it. There were ads for it side by side with the PS3 ads on posters on trains etc. Also it was featured in the official PS3 TV ads.

Also they made an effort to customize it for the JP region. Like slight character design changes and music changes. And obviously it was fully re-dubbed in Japanese. I didn't check the lip syncing. But obviously they put real effort into the JP version.

So 11,000 copies, even if it was first day days, is pretty sad.

But I guess we can hope it will have legs?

Media create software 11/5-11/11

01. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) - 235,000 / NEW
02. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei) - 188,000 / NEW
03. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 74,000 / 325,000
04. [NDS] Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (Square-Enix) - 23,000 / 215,000
05. [360] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei) - 22,000 / NEW
06. [PSP] Castlevania Chronicle (Konami) - 19,000 / NEW
07. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 15,000 / 2,197,000
08. [NDS] DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series: Deadly Intent (Tecmo) - 13,000 / 129,000
09. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) - 13,000 / 690,000
10. [PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future (Sony) - 12,000 / NEW

R&C Future, what a huge bomb. When is SCEA going to learn how to market for Japanese tastes?

;)

Media create software 11/5-11/11

R&C Future, what a huge bomb. When is SCEA going to learn how to market for Japanese tastes?

;)

Ahm....Thats why they ve got Studio Japan. Rachet and Clank isnt the type of game that would sell in Japan amyways. That doesnt mean Sony wouldnt sell it there too.

They did make changes on characters to appeal more to the japanese audience btw.

Which in itself is interesting, because there's little in Wii to reduce and make savings on. The CPU is tiny, so a switch to 65nm isn't going to make big savings there. The drive is DVD, standard, no cost reductions to be had there. Seems to me that Wii cannot be cost reduced effectively, and any price reductions will come at the cost of Nintendo's profits per unit. A $50 off pricepoint may spur sales, but will also lose Nintendo that load of profits, which is why they'll remain hesitant to drop prices.

Of course cost savings can be made... not as big price savings as the monsterously expensive PS3, but proportional price savings given the initial cost of the system. RAM prices can drop, CPU/GPU prices can drop (no matter how cheap they already are). Flash memory prices can drop also and while the drive is a standard format (DVD) its the more expensive slot loaded kind which can drop in price too.

Of course cost savings can be made... not as big price savings as the monsterously expensive PS3, but proportional price savings given the initial cost of the system. RAM prices can drop, CPU/GPU prices can drop (no matter how cheap they already are). Flash memory prices can drop also and while the drive is a standard format (DVD) its the more expensive slot loaded kind which can drop in price too.

Everything can drop its price. The question is when and by how much.

For nintendo if they want to drop the wii price its probably going to take a hit on the profit they make on the unit. Ofcourse they can save some money on the hardware, but giving its basically all old tech I dont think they can shave much of the costs.

As I said by a proportional amount in comparison to PS3.
How do you know that it will be proportional. Also you dont know when this "poportional reduction" will take place
For Sony if they want to drop PS3's price its going to deepen the loss they make on the unit, what's the difference?
Its a matter of strategy.
Nintendo has less reasons to reduce prices than Sony. They are already enjoying lots of sales from low price as well as profits from hardware. It would be stupid if they did this. They will reduce profits unnecessarilly.
Sony cares more about increasing its userbase right now than Nintendo, and there is more room for price drops because unlike Wii's harware it is not standardized yet. It is new, it is passing through more production readjustments and has more components which overally will decrease the hardware's price much more while their cost of production falls. Lastly Sony has always been making price drops even though they generated losses during the initial stages, as part of their strategy.

Back