Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Since we were discussing Japan, and since Japan just had Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core PSP released, your statement seems somewhat flawed. ;)
I was talking about momentum :p. FFVII will give a spike, but on it's own is it going to maintain a higher interest and sales in PSP? IMO Rangers is looking at a short term spike and extrapolating that into long-term sales.

Japan Buys Over 300,000 PSP Slims In 3 Days

... Enterbrain have announced that the PSP-2000 has sold 250,702 units in its first three days on the market. Impressive, but more so when you consider that counts only the standalone units: another 75,943 Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core bundles were also shifted, giving us a total of 326,645 ...
[ http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1210801_1124.html ] ,
[ http://kotaku.com/gaming/only-in-japan/japan-buys-over-300000-psp-slims-in-three-days-303692.php ] ...

Sony has to try slim PS3 :] , Japanese love slim & lite ...

Famitsu numbers

DSL 65000
PSP 278000
PS2 13000
PS3 12000
Wii 23000
360 1000

Whatever blip is going on in Japan continues..look at those Wii sales. Since media create is usually lower than Famitsu, we could be looking at sub 20,000 Wii sales this week in media create.

Hmm I wonder what is going on with Wii. When it dropped to around 30k I'd agree that it could be because the lack of games, but now it seems sales will fall 60%+ in just a few weeks. I dont think that could be because the ''newness'' is off and the lack of games but availability also doesnt seem to be a problem anymore.

People are uying PSPs right now. Also, HD TV is exploding, and it could have an impact.

But I'm not worried for the Wii just yet. When Mario is released, it'll explode right back up.

People are uying PSPs right now. Also, HD TV is exploding, and it could have an impact.

But I'm not worried for the Wii just yet. When Mario is released, it'll explode right back up.

I dont buy that. People are buying psp this week, not for the last few weeks, atleast not in those numbers and I dont think the psp lite will suddenly make a large impact over a few weeks because in all honesty its only a little bit smaller than the old psp, there isnt a hugh reason to buy a new one like DS -> DSL, atleast not on the gaming part.

HDtv is exploding? it isnt exploding more than it was 2 months ago. That wont happen overnight. It isnt like 5% had HD 6 months, or 3 weeks ago or whatever and now suddeny all of Japan needs a HDtv. Besides that I dont think HDtv's will have a large impact on Wii sales. In the states they also sell plenty of HD tv's and Wii doesnt exactly suffer sales in the USA.

SO no I dont think HDtv's and psp lite explaing anything.

I don't 'get' the idea of people buying PSP instead of Wii. They're not particularly interchangeable products. If you want a waggle console in your living room to play with the kids, a slimline PSP isn't going to be a fair replacement. Maybe I'm totally out of touch of real marketing? Maybe people walk into a game store and ask for whatever's selling the most?

PSP sales are up 2 weeks ago because of the FF7:CC package that came with the new slim PSP and this last week PSP Slim is now available to be purchased separately has resulted in PSP sales around 250k according to Enterbrain numbers (the numbers Famitsu uses). So two weeks of high sales due to both the FF7:CC package and the new PSP Slim being released.

Also, keep in mind this time of the year coincides with the PS2's lowest sales in its past as well.

Here's an image comparing the second year of PS2 on sale in Japan to the current Wii year (first year the numbers are really low at this time of the year due to lack of stock and it also launched in march).

linecompare.php

Edit: Comparison also using Media Create numbers

linecompare.php

The PSP has a webbrowser, plays various video and music formats, supports RSS including subscriptions, streaming, can control a PS3 remotely, etc. I think these are plenty of non-game applications, and they obviously have their appeal, as lots of PSP owners in the West use their PSPs for this kind of thing as much ore even more than for games. And now it has TV out for these things as well. Video and voicechat is coming and the GPS stuff,e tc. That's plenty of non-game stuff right there.

It even has a game like Mind Quiz. However, what it doesn't have is a stylus and Nintendo software, or backward compatibility with GBA games. That's an important factor in the non-game software category in the sense that it is an important reason why the DS is selling so well, doubly so in Japan.

I thought I read somewhere that the majority of Japanese primarily access the Internet through their cell phones. It would seem that PSP internet features wouldn't have that great of impact for someone who uses thier cell phone and which isn't tied to wifi.

I don't 'get' the idea of people buying PSP instead of Wii. They're not particularly interchangeable products. If you want a waggle console in your living room to play with the kids, a slimline PSP isn't going to be a fair replacement. Maybe I'm totally out of touch of real marketing? Maybe people walk into a game store and ask for whatever's selling the most?

It's like buying a new fridge and a new TV in the same month Shifty, that's all I'm saying. All products are directly competing ... for your wallet's contents!

Really strong PSP numbers with the launch of the PSP Slim and 2nd week of FF7:CC plus First week for MGS:pO Plus. Basically the strongest software week for PSP in basically ever. Weakest week yet for Wii and PS3 is almost back to its preMNG numbers (around 8k). Also weak week for the DS.

PSP 277,794
DSL 70,523
Wii 24,992
PS2 11,373
PS3 10,732
Xbox360 1,687
GBM 243
GBASP 106
GC 68
GBA 33
DS 15

01. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 109,000 / 595,000
02. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus - 93,000 / NEW
03. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki no Tankentai - 85,000 / 385,000
04. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Yami no Tankentai - 75,000 / 344,000
05. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn!! DS Flame Rumble Kaien Ring Soudatsuen! - 31,000 / NEW
06. [WII] Super Mario Strikers - 28,000 / NEW
07. [PS2] Kiniro no Corda 2 Anchor - 24,000 / NEW
08. [WII] Mario Party 8 - 22,000 / 779,000
09. [WII] Samurai Warriors: Katana - 17,000 / NEW
10. [NDS] Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates - 16,000 / 331,000
11. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (Deluxe Pack)
12. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary
13. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS
14. [WII] Wii Sports
15. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day
16. [NDS] Mario Kart DS
17. [PS2] Another Century's Episode 3: The Final
18. [NDS] Brain Age 2
19. [WII] Wii Play
20. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.
21. [PS2] Nanatsu Iro * Drops Pure!!
22. [NDS] Animal Crossing DS
23. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 3 (Best Price)
24. [PS2] Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden
25. [NDS] Brain Age
26. [PSP] Fate/Tiger Colosseum
27. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5
28. [NDS] More English Training
29. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
30. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable: 2nd

NDS - 14
WII - 5
PS2 - 5
PSP - 5
PS3 - 1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193959

I had to post this..Halo 3 wins the week in Japan! Crazy..

01./--. [360] Halo 3 - 59,000 / NEW
02./03. [DS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki - 55,000 / 440,000
03./01. [PSP] Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII - 54,000 / 649,000
04./--. [DS] Tamagotchi Petit Petit Omisecchi Minasankyu! - 54,000 / NEW
05./04. [DS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Yami - 46,000 / 389,000
06./--. [PS2] Bleach Blade Battlers 2nd - 31,000 / NEW
07./--. [DS] English Test 2 - 28,000 / NEW
08./--. [PS2] Yugioh Duel Monsters GX - 28,000 / NEW
09./--. [PS3] Oblivion - 27,000 / NEW
10./02. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+ - 25,000 / 119,000

Well, that's a first (and a last?) for MS in Japan. How many days of sales are that?

Still, that number might actually be a little disappointing for them (bear with me here) as it goes to show that even those already 'tricked' into buying a Xbox 360 in Japan doesn't go for the hallmark games of the system. Reaching ~13% of the userbase the first week seems significantly worse than the US and European numbers we've seen. They probably would have needed to pull another ten Blue Dragons out of their hat to make any sort of significant impact over there.

Well, that's a first (and a last?) for MS in Japan. How many days of sales are that?

Still, that number might actually be a little disappointing for them (bear with me here) as it goes to show that even those already 'tricked' into buying a Xbox 360 in Japan doesn't go for the hallmark games of the system. Reaching ~13% of the userbase the first week seems significantly worse than the US and European numbers we've seen.

I'm sure they'd rather more people bought Halo in Japan, but considering the numbers for other FPS titles in Japan, Halo3 did amazing.

They probably would have needed to pull another ten Blue Dragons out of their hat to make any sort of significant impact over there.

Blue dragon entered the Japanese charts in 4th place, not first. It did move more units(~80k), and I'm uncertain about the days covered but time of year is also a factor there.

I'm sure they'd rather more people bought Halo in Japan, but considering the numbers for other FPS titles in Japan, Halo3 did amazing.

Blue dragon entered the Japanese charts in 4th place, not first. It did move more units(~80k), and I'm uncertain about the days covered but time of year is also a factor there.
I didn't mean that to be taken literally. It was more just me stating the bloody obvious in a roundabout way.

Sure Halo sold decent enough (well, quite good actually) for a FPS in Japan, but even among Xbox 360 owners (who'd one would expect to be more predisposed towards 'Xbox type games') it did notably worse than in other territories. Thus, if even the signature 360 FPS can't break out of the mold over there, then they would have needed (many) more exclusives that do appeal to the Japanese audience (i.e. more 'Blue Dragons') for MS to be able to make an impact.

Actually, it's not that amazing. If I am not mistaken, Halo 1 sold about the same number during its first week. Admittedly it didn't rank first, though, because there were quite a few competing titles.

My only point is that I don't think MS would see that as disappointing anymore than Square would when FF titles don't do as well in the US relative to Japan. It's just expected.

Maybe not that impressive if you consider it´s selling just a little more than twice the number of Oblivion for PS3. You´d expect the hype of Oblivion has died off quite a bit as it has been out on the PC and 360 for more than a year.

Maybe not that impressive if you consider it´s selling just a little more than twice the number of Oblivion for PS3. You´d expect the hype of Oblivion has died off quite a bit as it has been out on the PC and 360 for more than a year.

Well Oblivion is a RPG and with much bigger installed base I'm not sure I agree with you.

Back